Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 03:01 PM

235 posts, read 331,181 times

Advertisements

Where do gays in Philly and Chicago go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 03:42 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
When I lived in Philly, we went to Asbury Park and Rehoboth. While not quite as popular, a decent amount also go to Fire Island or PTown for a week as well.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:47 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Which cities have gay "towns" or escapes near them where locals frequently escape to on weekends? I'm just curious and have only been to the below.

NYC - Fire Island
Boston - Ptown
Miami - Key West (not sure if this counts)
DC - Rehoboth Beach
LA - Palm Springs
SF - Russian River
I was going to say: SF-Guerneville but u beat me to it

Old 12-10-2020, 04:02 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Surprised New Orleans isn't mentioned more? My view may be skewed by the fact I've really only been to NOLA for Southern Decadence.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:06 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
When I lived in Philly, we went to Asbury Park and Rehoboth. While not quite as popular, a decent amount also go to Fire Island or PTown for a week as well.
New Hope used to be popular too, but all the gay bars and clubs there have closed, I think.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:54 PM

143 posts, read 290,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
Chicago gays go to the Saugatuck/Douglas area. An area in Southwest Michigan with tons of beaches and harbor towns on the other side of the lake:

https://saugatuck.gaycities.com/

Old 12-10-2020, 06:47 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Which cities have gay "towns" or escapes near them where locals frequently escape to on weekends? I'm just curious and have only been to the below.

NYC - Fire Island
Boston - Ptown
Miami - Key West (not sure if this counts)
DC - Rehoboth Beach
LA - Palm Springs
SF - Russian River
As I mentioned upthread, Blue Ridge in the North Georgia mountains for Atlanta.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:54 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Yes, Ogunquit is far closer than P-town. (And not quite as as Hamptonized, courtesy of frigid but beautifully clear waters - Ptown's formerly precious and interesting balance of different groups of folks was thrown off starting at least by the 1990s when NYC metro folks decided that it was much less haunted by their memories of the Fire Island of Yore, as it were, and started buying up and reno'ing, as it were. Then again, stepping out of the specifically gay context, there's precious little left on the New England coast south of Acadia that has not been Hamptonized in some way in the last generation - currently, Rhode Island's South County shore is making up fast for lost time, which is very sad - leaving pockets of Massachusett's "South Coast" for the last round of vultures. Keep your hands off West Island, Fairhaven! Hopefully, the abundance of seaweed in Buzzards Bay's northern shore will discourage too many rich folks.)
Count me as a huge fan of Ogunquit. Until this year, we've been going every Memorial Day week for 6 years. I feel like we know half of the town, just from hanging out at the Front Porch.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:28 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,218 times
Tier 1: NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Miami, SF

Tier 2: Atlanta, Boston, Seattle, Philly, Minneapolis, San Diego, Dallas

Tier 3: Houston, Detroit, Denver, Tampa, St. Louis, Baltimore

Old 12-10-2020, 09:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
I recently met a guy from Atlanta and he told me that he has a difficult time actually meeting other guys there because it's so pretentious. He said that the gay men of ATL think they're in LA.

I am in Jacksonville, FL, which is subpar for gay life by all accounts. It's a very slow place and many guys are closeted, discreet or just not motivated to meetup. I would say about 70% of the guys here are drug users and/or don't have good careers or educational attainment. There are about 3 or 4 gay bars, but I'm not into the scene, personally. The guys here also seem to think they're amazing, but.....they're really not.

Most of the guys that I meet here in Jacksonville are recurring visitors from other cities like Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, San Diego, etc. Or just visiting family, because they escaped Jacksonville years ago. Jacksonville is the type of city that gays tend to move away from rather than move into. It's really sad, honestly. But I've learned not to care much anymore, now that I'm 36 and settled here with a good job and a nice house. I didn't choose to move here, really. I "ended up" here three years ago due to dire unemployment circumstances and finally found a good job here.

I would put Jacksonville as a Tier 4 city...just below St. Louis, Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

So, what tier would YOU put YOUR city in, in terms of gay life?

Last edited by nep321; 12-10-2020 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City