Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 03:55 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
No.
Temple, Killeen and Waco are all equally as diverse or more diverse than Austin. The main issue is that those places are mostly 3 ethnicity cities why Austin has “more ethnicities” but at theft small percentages. Austin is however more diverse than 90%+ of South Texas which is most white and Hispanic although I might be missing a couple places.
I lived in Waco over 5 years. I wouldn’t necessarily call a Texas City with Black /White/ Mexican majority demographics as diverse in what you find in Austin. I use to go weeks without seeing any other ethnic group outside of those 3 in Waco. Waco and Temple demographics are pretty common with most cities their size East of I-35. Austin having more ethnic groups makes it stand out more to me than what you get in Waco/Temple/ Belton.

Bryan-College Station Diversity does feel more similar to Austin though. As for as Killeen, Killeen to me feels more different than most cities in TX imo. It’s a military city so of course it feels different from that perspective but Killeen definitely is more diverse than Austin. I believe Killeen has the biggest Puerto Rican population in the state as well. It’s a trip going to Killeen and seeing ppl claim the city with a New York accent. Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 04:17 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Houston has segregated parts but where it shines is. Houston has the most integrated rural areas in the U.S, it’s the cross-section of the Southwest and South so lots of rural blacks and Hispanics, and close to the coast a smattering of rural Asians as well. Houston is only 37% white one of the lowest in America, nearly all of its suburbs are integrated. The whitest large one being Friendswood, Texas at 73% White followed by 72% White, The Woodlands and 72% White, Kingwood. Take in mind all the above cities/hoods are considered very white areas.

Even the place Paragueno called very white, like River Oaks is in a zip code that’s 70% white. Houston has no areas really that is even 80% white anymore.

Where Houston is segregated it has a relatively high black Hispanic integration. So many of the black areas are heavily Hispanic and vice versa albeit to a lesser extent. Another thing that gives Houston the pretense of low segregation is that large swathes of the city are generally not monoracial. The way someone can say South Dallas is Black and far East Austin is Black, and East of I-35 is mostly Latino and west of Mopac is on the verge of 90% white (It actually is). You can’t do that with Houston. All the suburbs form an integrated circle and even South Houston, which people stereotype as Black, SE Houston is very Hispanic and SW Houston is extremely integrated. So in reality your talking about 3-4 neighborhoods that border each other with high black populations.

Where Houston will eventually lose point is as it gets more Hispanic, some areas like East, SE and North Houston could allow the Eastern half of the city to become ethnically Hispanic as the only thing keeping these 3 majority Hispanic areas is the high amounts of diversity in the East Houston suburbs (Galena, Northshore, Channelview, Jacinto) and NE Houston being a black area that seems to be transitioning into a Hispanic one.

SE Houston is by far the most monoracial part of the city and even then theirs some Asian Apartments in the mix keeping things interesting and a high-ish Black population around Hobby, followed by miles of mostly diverse suburbs till Galveston.

Houston is at least two or three steps up in tents of diversity and integration from Austin.
I know there are suburbs and rural areas of in the Houston area that are at least integrated on paper, but the city proper seems to be limited to the usual white/Asian, black/Hispanic mixes. The malls seem to have a diverse crowd but then again the whole country (with some exceptions is like that).

Long Island is considered very segregated, but go to Roosevelt Field mall and there are people of all backgrounds. Though, the friend groups themselves tend to be monoracial.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
I agree. It's Dallas. Dallas the tv show....Dallas Cowboys....cowboy hats....it's Dallas.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
If people are going for sports teams southland the teams that actually have Texas in the name be the ones that remind you of Texas?

Dallas Cowboys remind me of...well Dallas.
The Texas Rangers on the other hand...

Old 10-19-2020, 06:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I lived in Waco over 5 years. I wouldn’t necessarily call a Texas City with Black /White/ Mexican majority demographics as diverse in what you find in Austin. I use to go weeks without seeing any other ethnic group outside of those 3 in Waco. Waco and Temple demographics are pretty common with most cities their size East of I-35. Austin having more ethnic groups makes it stand out more to me than what you get in Waco/Temple/ Belton.

Bryan-College Station Diversity does feel more similar to Austin though. As for as Killeen, Killeen to me feels more different than most cities in TX imo. It’s a military city so of course it feels different from that perspective but Killeen definitely is more diverse than Austin. I believe Killeen has the biggest Puerto Rican population in the state as well. It’s a trip going to Killeen and seeing ppl claim the city with a New York accent. Ha!
While I agree with you when discussing diversity we often run into issues. Waco- is 45% White, 30% Hispanic (Likely 28%+ Mexican), 2% Asian and 20% Black. Temple- 53% White, 27% Hispanic, 14% Black and 3% Asian.

Austin- 48% White, 7% Black, 7% Asian and 34% Hispanic. While your seeing more Europeans, Africans and significantly more Asians in Austin. Downtown Austin is 71% white. The entire black population lives within a 1/6th portion of the city, meaning East Austin, and the neighborhoods that border it. The Asian population is heavily concentrated in several very small areas. Anything west of Mopac is 85%+ White, hell many of the neighborhoods along the eastern part of Mopac are 80%+ white. South Austin is White and Hispanic, with it being majority Hispanic east of 35, and Hispanics being the only minority (excluding the smattering of Asians I mentioned earlier), between I-35 and Mopac in respectable numbers. Take in mind this goes all the way down to SA as Kyle, Buda and San Marcos all have that striking Hispanic/White dichotomy that's found in South Austin.

As someone who lives in Austin and is interested in demographics, but don't care too much for diversity (don't really seek it out). Living in Houston, my friend group went from, 25% Asian, 30% Black, 25% Hispanic and 10% White, and 10% Other/Mixed. to 65% White, 10% Hispanic, 10% Asian, 10% Black 5% Other. With nearly every friend that falls into the Hispanic or Asian group being half-white, and living in one of the most diverse parts of Austin I feel like Austin honestly can't be compared to the smaller cities with similar demographics due to size differences.

Far North Austin (East of Mopac)+Pflugerville and Round Rock as well as East Austin (nieghborhood), and the part of Campus that borders it, is the only part of Austin that beats the city of Waco and Temple in diversity in my opinion. Waco and Temple manage to have better demographic diversity with less segregation in something like 1/5th of the area.

On College Station while I agree with you, this is also another area where it's 64% White, 10% Asian, 8% Black and 16% Latino. Bryan is 40% Hispanic and 40% White and 16% Black and interestingly enough 4% 2 or more races. On paper neither seems significantly more diverse than Waco or Temple, although Bryan seems very similar. But it's core is clearly defined by it's heavy Hispanic core (which also contains most of the black people) and whiter surroundings.

Sidenote:

Another way to look at this issue is a city that is 30% Mexican, 45% White American, 24% African American and 1% Other. More diverse than a city that is 75% White American, 3% African American and 2% Mexican and 20% Other (assume all of these groups in Other are smaller than 2%).

The reason I say this is because this is basically asking whether a city like Berlin or Copenhagen is more diverse than a Waco or Temple. Many people's gut reaction is to go with the European capitals but when you look at the above example it's a lot more complicated at face value.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I know there are suburbs and rural areas of in the Houston area that are at least integrated on paper, but the city proper seems to be limited to the usual white/Asian, black/Hispanic mixes. The malls seem to have a diverse crowd but then again the whole country (with some exceptions is like that).

Long Island is considered very segregated, but go to Roosevelt Field mall and there are people of all backgrounds. Though, the friend groups themselves tend to be monoracial.
I'm talking about "anywheresville strip malls" and Walmarts. Diverse malls isn't much because malls have such a large catchment they could include a 90% White area bordering a 90% black area that both border a 50% Hispanic, 30% White and 20% Asian area which is where the mall is located. It will look very diverse at first glance. If you go out shopping virtually any Walmart, H-E-B, Trader Joe's in Houston you'll see a diverse crowd. This is also common in strip malls and smaller commercial centers, but of course a small strip mall in the middle of Golfcrest will be 80%+ Hispanic.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:59 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
I'm talking about "anywheresville strip malls" and Walmarts. Diverse malls isn't much because malls have such a large catchment they could include a 90% White area bordering a 90% black area that both border a 50% Hispanic, 30% White and 20% Asian area which is where the mall is located. It will look very diverse at first glance. If you go out shopping virtually any Walmart, H-E-B, Trader Joe's in Houston you'll see a diverse crowd. This is also common in strip malls and smaller commercial centers, but of course a small strip mall in the middle of Golfcrest will be 80%+ Hispanic.
I saw that at a Walmart in Vegas but I didn't get the impression that the city was particularly integrated. Maybe it is, but I would guess not.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:56 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
While I agree with you when discussing diversity we often run into issues. Waco- is 45% White, 30% Hispanic (Likely 28%+ Mexican), 2% Asian and 20% Black. Temple- 53% White, 27% Hispanic, 14% Black and 3% Asian.

Austin- 48% White, 7% Black, 7% Asian and 34% Hispanic. While your seeing more Europeans, Africans and significantly more Asians in Austin. Downtown Austin is 71% white. The entire black population lives within a 1/6th portion of the city, meaning East Austin, and the neighborhoods that border it. The Asian population is heavily concentrated in several very small areas. Anything west of Mopac is 85%+ White, hell many of the neighborhoods along the eastern part of Mopac are 80%+ white. South Austin is White and Hispanic, with it being majority Hispanic east of 35, and Hispanics being the only minority (excluding the smattering of Asians I mentioned earlier), between I-35 and Mopac in respectable numbers. Take in mind this goes all the way down to SA as Kyle, Buda and San Marcos all have that striking Hispanic/White dichotomy that's found in South Austin.

As someone who lives in Austin and is interested in demographics, but don't care too much for diversity (don't really seek it out). Living in Houston, my friend group went from, 25% Asian, 30% Black, 25% Hispanic and 10% White, and 10% Other/Mixed. to 65% White, 10% Hispanic, 10% Asian, 10% Black 5% Other. With nearly every friend that falls into the Hispanic or Asian group being half-white, and living in one of the most diverse parts of Austin I feel like Austin honestly can't be compared to the smaller cities with similar demographics due to size differences.

Far North Austin (East of Mopac)+Pflugerville and Round Rock as well as East Austin (nieghborhood), and the part of Campus that borders it, is the only part of Austin that beats the city of Waco and Temple in diversity in my opinion. Waco and Temple manage to have better demographic diversity with less segregation in something like 1/5th of the area.

On College Station while I agree with you, this is also another area where it's 64% White, 10% Asian, 8% Black and 16% Latino. Bryan is 40% Hispanic and 40% White and 16% Black and interestingly enough 4% 2 or more races. On paper neither seems significantly more diverse than Waco or Temple, although Bryan seems very similar. But it's core is clearly defined by it's heavy Hispanic core (which also contains most of the black people) and whiter surroundings.

Sidenote:

Another way to look at this issue is a city that is 30% Mexican, 45% White American, 24% African American and 1% Other. More diverse than a city that is 75% White American, 3% African American and 2% Mexican and 20% Other (assume all of these groups in Other are smaller than 2%).

The reason I say this is because this is basically asking whether a city like Berlin or Copenhagen is more diverse than a Waco or Temple. Many people's gut reaction is to go with the European capitals but when you look at the above example it's a lot more complicated at face value.
My point is Waco is largely a White/Black/Mexican town. That's most cities in Texas. True downtown Austin is predominately White. Waco doesn't have a residential heavy downtown to make a comparison. Black-White-Mexican populations in Waco live in segregated communities as well.

Waco doesn't have a core like Austin where it's heavily gentrified and full of desirable areas centered around it's downtown. Waco's core is generally Black and Mexican and those 2 demographics live in segregated neighborhoods in the city. Predominately low income communities, housing projects with both demographics.

While Austin has a wider White to Black ratio, Waco still has 2 more predominately White areas than Austin. Austin has 10 neighborhoods over 71% White. Waco has 14 neighborhoods.

Despite Austin's low Black population it's White-Hispanic ratio is similar to Waco. It's the Asian population and Other Hispanic population that is much more represented than what you get in Waco. I don't know if you ever been to Waco but all you see in the city is the 3 main demographics and that's about it. It's diverse but it's normal in Texas. So that's why I'm not really impressed with that diversity since it's common.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I saw that at a Walmart in Vegas but I didn't get the impression that the city was particularly integrated. Maybe it is, but I would guess not.
Vegas is very integrated and diverse as well.

This link is using 10 year old data but you can see Western metros tend to be integrated, since newer neighborhoods are inherently less racist by not having racial housing restrictions ever being imposed. https://demographics.coopercenter.org/racial-dot-map

Old 10-19-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
My point is Waco is largely a White/Black/Mexican town. That's most cities in Texas. True downtown Austin is predominately White. Waco doesn't have a residential heavy downtown to make a comparison. Black-White-Mexican populations in Waco live in segregated communities as well.

Waco doesn't have a core like Austin where it's heavily gentrified and full of desirable areas centered around it's downtown. Waco's core is generally Black and Mexican and those 2 demographics live in segregated neighborhoods in the city. Predominately low income communities, housing projects with both demographics.

While Austin has a wider White to Black ratio, Waco still has 2 more predominately White areas than Austin. Austin has 10 neighborhoods over 71% White. Waco has 14 neighborhoods.

Despite Austin's low Black population it's White-Hispanic ratio is similar to Waco. It's the Asian population and Other Hispanic population that is much more represented than what you get in Waco. I don't know if you ever been to Waco but all you see in the city is the 3 main demographics and that's about it. It's diverse but it's normal in Texas. So that's why I'm not really impressed with that diversity since it's common.
I feel like it isn’t fair to compare Waco neighborhoods to Austin neighborhoods just because Austin hoods are typically larger because it’s a larger city. Waco being much smaller means that these neighborhoods are much closer packed in together. https://demographics.coopercenter.org/racial-dot-map

This is a good link, it uses 2010 data but you can clearly see that Waco as a whole seems more integrated than Austin, as even though their is segregation it’s a much smaller city physically and the white neighborhoods border the black/Mexican core and on top of that seem to have more minorities in them than general. Austin has anywhere West of Mopac especially South of the River is in no man’s land in terms of non-Hispanic diversity. I agree Austin has more but I would still argue that a place with a more even split of ethnicities is more diverse than a city with a million of them but all in fairly small communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City