Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2020, 02:05 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I was just using the link he gave me.

Those are MSA numbers.

Boston's core 50sqmi is still more dense/urban right now- no matter how you slice it. Day and night. A higher share of the buildings its currently building are multi unit. Lack of developable land is an issue in Boston because its already very dense.

Also much of DC's MSA construction would be outside of that 50 square mile area.

When or if DC passes Boston then it does, until then-it just hasnt.
Huh? How could you be this misinformed? Don't you live in the area? DC proper has been delivering between 7,000-8,000 multi-family housing units annually for a couple years now in 61 sq. miles. DC is actually running circles around all the cities on that list from an infill stand point. Our construction isn't even concentrated downtown in towers like most cities so the impact is even greater on the street walking around the city.

Downtown DC is about to join the residential boom action which will change DC forever. That is the only area that has been lagging since it has historically been all office buildings, but that is about to change in a major way with widespread office to residential conversions moving all over the city right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 02:07 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Miami shouldn't have to do any explaining for itself because it already has 470,000 people in less land area by its small (36m2) city limits alone.
This 50m2 circle thing is arbitrary and statistically diminishes cities that have their densest development along substantial bodies of water.
Certainly one can pull back the circle to be out of the water in Miami, but that means that it doesn't capture the densest parts of it since that action would center the circle around less dense areas, while only capturing a fraction of the densest parts. Isn't the point to understand the how large and dense the cores of these cities are, or is this just a game being played to elevate some cities over others for homer egos?
I get what you're saying but naw-were just doing the best we can with what we got, being unpaid an all lol.

The poster who posted the tool is from Boston, which also lies on the Atlantic.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:10 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying but naw-were just doing the best we can with what we got, being unpaid an all lol.

The poster who posted the tool is from Boston, which also lies on the Atlantic.
Isn't it a 50 square miles habitable zone. If it lies on the ocean wouldn't we just do the closest 50 square miles to that zip code.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Huh? How could you be this misinformed? Don't you live in the area? DC proper has been delivering between 7,000-8,000 multi-family housing units annually for a couple years now in 61 sq. miles. DC is actually running circles around all the cities on that list from an infill stand point. Our construction isn't even concentrated downtown in towers like most cities so the impact is even greater on the street walking around the city.

Downtown DC is about to join the residential boom action which will change DC forever. That is the only area that has been lagging since it has historically been all office buildings, but that is about to change in a major way with widespread office to residential conversions moving all over the city right now.
all it is DC is building more in its suburban areas than Boston. Or outside of the core 50 square miles of the city. Take it easy.

also," running circles around"?

"From 2015 to 2018, developers opened an average of 8,700 new apartments a year."
https://www.nreionline.com/multifami...delivered-2019

Thats Boston. In 48 sqaure miles. We had an off year in 2019 and only built 5335 apartments.

DC was bested by Seattle and Miami last year. Running circles around?

IS DC more dense or more urban than Boston? of course not. But feel free to tell us how it is. With construction numbers.

Are you and resident developers or something lol. Yall sense of "DC is best at everything" is just irrational.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
all it is DC is building more in its suburban areas than Boston. Or outside of the core 50 square miles of the city. Take it easy.

also," running circles around"?

"From 2015 to 2018, developers opened an average of 8,700 new apartments a year."
https://www.nreionline.com/multifami...delivered-2019

Thats Boston. In 48 sqaure miles. We had an off year in 2019 and only built 5335 apartments.

DC was bested by Seattle and Miami last year. Running circles around?

IS DC more dense or more urban than Boston? of course not. But feel free to tell us how it is. With construction numbers.

Are you and resident developers or something lol. Yall sense of "DC is best at everything" is just irrational.
That report and article you just posted is metro wide. Where are the city proper numbers? Here are the numbers for DC proper alone:

2019 Washington D.C. Development Report

28 Million Square Feet: DC Development in 2019, By the Numbers

-$82,381 -- The median income for DC households, a 35 percent increase compared to 2010. By 2024, median income is projected to be $94,570.

-19,725 -- The number of 25-39 year-olds that moved to DC between 2015 and 2018.

-28.4 million -- The number of square feet of development under construction in DC. Of that, 16.6 million square feet is residential, equating to 89 projects and 17,088 units.

-$15.6 billion -- Taxable retail and restaurant sales in 2018, up 9 percent since 2017.

-42 -- The number of projects totaling 9.1 million square feet that delivered in the District as of August this year.

-4,861 -- The number of Class A apartments that delivered in DC between June 2018 and June 2019.

-$2,487 -- The effective monthly rent for Class A apartments in DC.

-60% -- The percentage of units to deliver in DC over the last decade that were one-bedrooms.

**In 61 sq. miles**

Old 10-07-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That report and article you just posted is metro wide. Where are the city proper numbers? Here are the numbers for DC proper alone:

2019 Washington D.C. Development Report

28 Million Square Feet: DC Development in 2019, By the Numbers

-$82,381 -- The median income for DC households, a 35 percent increase compared to 2010. By 2024, median income is projected to be $94,570.

-19,725 -- The number of 25-39 year-olds that moved to DC between 2015 and 2018.

-28.4 million -- The number of square feet of development under construction in DC. Of that, 16.6 million square feet is residential, equating to 89 projects and 17,088 units.

-$15.6 billion -- Taxable retail and restaurant sales in 2018, up 9 percent since 2017.

-42 -- The number of projects totaling 9.1 million square feet that delivered in the District as of August this year.

-4,861 -- The number of Class A apartments that delivered in DC between June 2018 and June 2019.

-$2,487 -- The effective monthly rent for Class A apartments in DC.

-60% -- The percentage of units to deliver in DC over the last decade that were one-bedrooms.

**In 61 sq. miles**
Im convinced. You work in real estate. I dont-so idk where to grab a Boston devlopment report for 2019. If you can find one we can compare and talk about it in a development thread.

This has nothing to do with DC being more dense or urban than Boston right now. I see DC lagging behind many cities but I guess that doesnt matter-fine.

Whohoever builds the most apartments 2015-2020 is most urban? What is your end game here? Sme question i had for reisdnet. What excatly are you arguing?

As I said earlier if DC becomes more dense than Boston then I'll entertain this argument. Right now Boston is easily above DC. No matter how you slice it. Population density/day time population/adjacent subrubs/downtown/eye test. Whatever. Boston wins-everyone else seems to get that except 2 DC posters. Its cut and dry.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Isn't it a 50 square miles habitable zone. If it lies on the ocean wouldn't we just do the closest 50 square miles to that zip code.
If it were the 50 closest square miles of habitable zone, then Miami's number would be larger than its total population, since the city only has 36 square miles. As a reminder, Miami's 2019 municipal estimate was around 468,000. If the additional 14 square miles were only half as dense as Miami proper, that would move Miami's 50 square miles to about 559,000. Of course, if one wanted to curate those 50 square miles to maximize the population by moving up the bay on both sides, it could be a lot higher.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:57 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Houston ia a little bit misleading because there no mixed use in that area. Just housing (with large setbacks)

So this is considered simmilary as dense as this in Baltimore.

Just using the zip codes given.
I know you said just using the zip codes given, but technically your right but also wrong. Their's actually lots of commercial in Sharpstown, the area you posted is the least dense part of that neighborhood. Since your not a Houstonian you wouldn't understand but let me give you a rundown on the history of development in Houston particularly SW Houston.

Sharpstown was an extremely desirable suburban neighborhood, that I think was Masterplanned. The neighborhood was built with lots of empty space on the main thoroughfares. I assume for commercial use. What happened was for whatever reason, an oil boom, lots and lots of Apartments was built in Sharpstown and generally points in SW Houston and you end up with a neighborhood where more people live on Apartments among the main thoroughfares hid the beautiful neighborhoods behind them, and only if you look at small census tracts do the population differences, become apparent. These Apartments went ghetto for whatever reason and attracted a ton of immigrants and residents of different backgrounds, many of the actual neighborhoods stayed relatively white but mixed a bit as well because the homes probably lost some value.

This is why the demographics at 4 miles from that part of Houston is- 49% Hispanic, 19% Black, 18% White and 11% Asian.

Sharpstown has 3 famous (locally) Commercial districts. Harwin Drive- Quinceanera+Furniture+Hispanic culture in general and and it borders two of the densest neighborhoods in the city, Gulfton and Westwood, which are both extremely diverse although like most parts of Houston lean Hispanic. Alief is also a cultural center of the city, producing many of the new breed of Houston artists and being the original homes of the Vietnamese and Nigerian communities. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7177...7i16384!8i8192

At one end of Harwin Drive- Doesn't look to good but if you want deals on Furniture their's literally a million Furniture stores there.

Mahatma Ghandi District and Great Indian/Pakistani food in general, mostly along Hillcroft Drive, borders Gulfton which borders Bellaire/West U (craziest contrast ever Gulfton for a long time was considered the hoods of hoods, and Bellaire/West U is in the top 3 most boujee areas in Houston (all of which are on the West Side and really close to Gulfton which is an interesting dichotomy)).

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7204...7i16384!8i8192

On the other end of Harwin is Houston's Chinatown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7046...7i16384!8i8192

Let's just say the drive in and around Sharpstown which borders several boujee neighborhoods and contains 3 different ethnic districts and borders 3-4 of Houston's densest neighborhoods in jarring. I reccomend Anyone who wants to see what Houston is about take the Bellaire Boulevard/Harwin/Hillcroft/Westheimer drive it's crazy how diverse such a small section of the city is. Then you can also go through the inner loop. I'm praying this area, especially Sharpstown sees major urban redevelopment to complete the look because the culture is already there.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 10-07-2020 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-07-2020, 03:01 PM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I know you said just using the zip codes given, but technically your right but also wrong. Their's actually lots of commercial in Sharpstown, the area you posted is the least dense part of that neighborhood. Since your not a Houstonian you wouldn't understand but let me give you a rundown on the history of development in Houston particularly SW Houston.

Sharpstown was an extremely desirable suburban neighborhood, that I think was Masterplanned. The neighborhood was built with lots of empty space on the main thoroughfares. I assume for commercial use. What happened was for whatever reason, an oil boom, lots and lots of Apartments was built in Sharpstown and generally points in SW Houston and you end up with a neighborhood where more people live on Apartments among the main thoroughfares hid the beautiful neighborhoods behind them, and only if you look at small census tracts do the population differences, become apparent. These Apartments went ghetto for whatever reason and attracted a ton of immigrants and residents of different backgrounds, many of the actual neighborhoods stayed relatively white but mixed a bit as well because the homes probably lost some value.

This is why the demographics at 4 miles from that part of Houston is- 49% Hispanic, 19% Black, 18% White and 11% Asian.

Sharpstown has 3 famous (locally) Commercial districts. Harwin Drive- Quinceanera+Furniture+Hispanic culture in general and and it borders two of the densest neighborhoods in the city, Gulfton and Westwood, which are both extremely diverse although like most parts of Houston lean Hispanic. Alief is also a cultural center of the city, producing many of the new breed of Houston artists and being the original homes of the Vietnamese and Nigerian communities. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7177...7i16384!8i8192

At one end of Harwin Drive- Doesn't look to good but if you want deals on Furniture their's literally a million Furniture stores there.

Mahatma Ghandi District and Great Indian/Pakistani food in general, mostly along Hillcroft Drive, borders Gulfton which borders Bellaire/West U (craziest contrast ever Gulfton for a long time was considered the hoods of hoods, and Bellaire/West U is in the top 3 most boujee areas in Houston (all of which are on the West Side and really close to Gulfton which is an interesting dichotomy).

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7204...7i16384!8i8192

On the other end of Harwin is Houston's Chinatown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7046...7i16384!8i8192

Let's just say the drive in and around Sharpstown which borders several boujee neighborhoods and contains 3 different ethnic districts and borders 3-4 of Houston's densest neighborhoods in jarring. I reccomend Anyone who wants to see what Houston is about take the Bellaire Boulevard/Harwin/Hillcroft/Westheimer drive it's crazy how diverse such a small section of the city is. Then you can also go through the inner loop. I'm praying this area, especially Sharpstown sees major urban redevelopment to complete the look because the culture is already there.
Also, just West of Chinatown (where the district ends) is Viet-town/Little Saigon. One of the largest in the country. Southwest Houston is as diverse as it gets.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Im convinced. You work in real estate. I dont-so idk where to grab a Boston devlopment report for 2019. If you can find one we can compare and talk about it in a development thread.

This has nothing to do with DC being more dense or urban than Boston right now. I see DC lagging behind many cities but I guess that doesnt matter-fine.

Whohoever builds the most apartments 2015-2020 is most urban? What is your end game here? Sme question i had for reisdnet. What excatly are you arguing?

As I said earlier if DC becomes more dense than Boston then I'll entertain this argument. Right now Boston is easily above DC. No matter how you slice it. Population density/day time population/adjacent subrubs/downtown/eye test. Whatever. Boston wins-everyone else seems to get that except 2 DC posters. Its cut and dry.
I do work in development actually. Also, I only commented on your misinformed post. I didn't make any claims for which city was more urban, I just corrected what you said because it wasn't accurate.

Take it from me, not many cities can keep up with DC proper on development for many reasons. DC has a development pipeline that will only increase moving forward because of height limits. It actually opens the city up for more development than other cities believe it or not making growth easier. The city was decimated after the 1968 MLK riots leaving tons of parking lots and suburban structures poised for redevelopment. Look at Detroit for an example of the potential to build with a blank canvas.

Boston, Seattle, Philadelphia, San Francisco, LA, etc. are on average shorter across their cities. Their downtowns may be taller, but the average building height is shorter once you leave the urban core compared to DC. You don't see 9-story buildings going up all across those cities way outside the urban core in the quantity you see them rising in DC proper and definitely not compared to what you will see over the next 10-years in DC proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City