Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best US Landmark
Seattle Space Needle 36 27.91%
St Louis Arch 84 65.12%
Atlanta Ferris Wheel (SkyView Atlanta) 4 3.10%
I haven't been to any of these 5 3.88%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I think it's pretty safe to admit that Seattle is held on an extremely high pedestal by C-D, which is making it over-rated. It's just like a really good song that gets played nonstop on the radio; eventually, you get tired of it, even though the song is really good. Once you haven't heard it for a while, you pick it up again and it's your fav song again.

Meanwhile, C-D loves to hate Atlanta, Houston, and Phoenix. Still haven't figured out why...
Well put and all points true..........................

Yet, more people are moving to Atlanta and Phoenix than Seattle... Yet more people already live in Atlanta and Phoenix areas than Seattle area. Yet Atlanta has hosted the Superbowl twice and the Olympics like Seattle... No wait... Oops.
Yet, Atlanta beat Seattle in the playoffs...

I agree that Seattle is a great place. I love visiting there... BUT only to VISIT. Could NEVER stand living in that dreariness. And I also feel it gets WAAAY overstated on C-D. Almost SO overstated, and SO pushed that you just want to avoid all things Seattle for a while. To a point you get disgusted at hearing about it again... Then add in all the unnecessary hate for Atlanta and Phoenix (I have no connection to Houston, so I haven't even noticed the hate for Houston).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Got to get passed my squad first. Seattle is another wildcard at best. No freebies from the refs this year. Atlanta won't be a problem, they have developed an efficient way over tripping over their own feet come playoff time.
All I remember was the 41-14 beat down at the C-link last year. Wish we didn't screw up. Wanted to see teh 9ers Seahawks rematch in the NFC title game. But I got faith
Tim Crispy - Russell, Last Name, Wilson (Seahawks Parody Song) - YouTube

Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
All I remember was the 41-14 beat down at the C-link last year. Wish we didn't screw up. Wanted to see teh 9ers Seahawks rematch in the NFC title game. But I got faith
Tim Crispy - Russell, Last Name, Wilson (Seahawks Parody Song) - YouTube
The only positive thing I'll say about the Seahags is Russel is a class act. I've seen quite a few interviews with him and he is a humble individual that doesn't trash talk and think his sh*t don't stink.

As for your cover corners talkin' smack on how they are the best tandem in the league I think Julio Jones and Roddy White put that rumor to bed.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

I agree that Seattle is a great place. I love visiting there... BUT only to VISIT. Could NEVER stand living in that dreariness. And I also feel it gets WAAAY overstated on C-D. Almost SO overstated, and SO pushed that you just want to avoid all things Seattle for a while. To a point you get disgusted at hearing about it again... Then add in all the unnecessary hate for Atlanta and Phoenix (I have no connection to Houston, so I haven't even noticed the hate for Houston).
Well to be fair, Seattle is usually voted on almost all American popularity polls as one of the top three most desirable cities in the country, by Americans that participate in Harris Interactive, Price Water Group, Pew Center, so on.

Then again, by Americans. We tend to think too much for our towns. We have four and maybe if you want to be generous (and I don't) then five remarkable cities on a world class level, a few great American gems like New Orleans and Las Vegas and the like that people would care to see if given the chance.

I'm sure I'd be excited to visit Seattle too if it were pit against Philadelphia, Denver, Baltimore, Phoenix, Tampa, Saint Louis, Portland, so on. It would look like a Parisian type of vacation in comparison (a bit exaggerated but you know). Nothing remarkable to make someone wanting to see a Barcelona stop and reconsider though, so it's just not up there as a decision breaker type of place and it shouldn't be. Seattle has a lot to prove to the world to be regarded as that sort of place.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
I went to Seattle for three days. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

It's just some ordinary city, there's nothing remarkable about it. There's no Las Vegas Strip, no Times Square, no Hollywood, no Disney & Universal, no South Beach, no French Quarter, hey even for museums there's no MET, there's no Smithsonian, there's no Space Shuttle, there's no National Archives. Hey for nightlife, there's no Ultra, there's no well, basically anything I really care for.

I was pretty naive to have ever thought Seattle could be some place special. Average city, with above average scenery, with below average location.

I don't hate Seattle, I don't even dislike it. I'm just disappointed of a place that made me feel quite clownish, thinking it's as great as they come based off pictures of skyline and scenery alone, only to have that smirk cleaned off my face in a three day stay. It's a nice city, great city even. Just not one I'd ever say someone in say Dalian, China should ever be saying "Wow, wow!! Seattle, I have to see that!".
So you were in Seattle for 3 days. Wow. Try 13 years. 13 enjoyable years in a fantastic city. No Disney, no Universal, no South Beach. Part of what makes Seattle a great city is that it doesn't have those things. And thank god it doesn't. Pictures are great but living there was even better.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
So you were in Seattle for 3 days. Wow. Try 13 years. 13 enjoyable years in a fantastic city. No Disney, no Universal, no South Beach. Part of what makes Seattle a great city is that it doesn't have those things. And thank god it doesn't. Pictures are great but living there was even better.
All it takes it three days to see it so there is no wow factor.

As an international traveler that has seen an amount of major world cities, would you be satisfied what Seattle has to offer? If so then your standards are too low. After spending airfare for an overseas flight and sitting on a plane for 10 plus hours. Top it off traveling to this destination on misleading promotion and then realizing it after getting there. I'd imagine many people would leave with a bad experience and a negative view of the city.

You need to look at this thread from a visitors point of view.

Last edited by Fastphilly; 07-23-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
The Gateway Arch for sure! It's an iconic and elegant design by one of the world's leading modernist architects of the 20th Century: Eero Saarinen. While I like the Space Needle, it's hard to deny the Arch's superior design credentials and aesthetic in addition to being the worlds tallest arch.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
All it takes it three days to see it so there is no wow factor.

If you would be satisfied what Seattle has to offer after spending over a grand in airfare on a 13 hour plus flight then your standards of a great city is extremely low.

You need to look at this thread from a visitors point of view.
Just one last point one this subject but not all visitors look for what you look for. Not everyone like flash and flair, Bustling night life, and crowded streets. If that peaks your interest when you travel, great! But alot of people dont expect that. They come here for great snowboarding, an adventure up one of america's greatest mountains, relaxing night on the water, some of the best crab in the world in the San Juans. Go Downtown and explore around. There is things to do and alot of people love visiting here. But don't expect the Las Vegas strip or Hollywood blvd. Seattle is a nice calm relaxing place as a gateway to nature or just a few days in the town. If you don't like it cool, I recommend Soeul, Hong Kong, Dubai, Baku, Barcelona, Rio, etc, you will get your nightlife and culture there for sure! Ive meet people from all over america who love coming here so you can't for all tourists. I know it's no San Francisco, but thats the point. You get make your own fun here. Not arguing and saying this is the world's best vacation spot, cause it isn't but to alot of people it's well worth a visit.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
I've seen many casual tourists who came to Atlanta and liked it too so yeah...for your 'Atlanta has no real tourist attractions' comment. Atlanta is not Dallas or Houston. It actually has a decently vibrant downtown area both in the day and at night due to the amount of tourists and things to do in downtown. 40M tourist / 365 days a year = 110k tourists a day on average...

Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Well put and all points true............h..........

Yet, more peopthere moving to Atlanta and Phoenix than Seattle... Yet morea lot ple already live in Atlanta and Phoenix areas than Seattle area. Yet Atlanta has hosted the Superbowl twice and the Olympics like Seattle... No wait... Oops.
Yet, Atlanta beat Seattle in the playoffs...

There are a lot of people on city data that like urban living. They hate Sunbelt Cities because the way they sprawl.. So Atlanta or phenoix could accomplish alot but all that will get overlooked all because its not as urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City