Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oh, hell no. Just looking at that link, South Carolina has produced 150 NFL players. South Carolina! If SC were the size of California, they'd have 1,500 players in the NFL. That's crazy.

And Florida just breeds speed. Anyone who runs above a 4.4 in the 40 is given the nickname "molassses" down there. I remember when Nebraska used to lose to Florida State all the time and Tom Osborne said, "Well, I've been told we need to pick up some speed." Duh! Those guys are in college and running a pro-style system lol. Florida State had enough speed to track down Mike Vick in the Sugar Bowl!
Agree.
Devin Hester
Deion Sanders...nuff said.

To the OP. It's simple the HS football culture is just not that big in the NE. But I know basketball reigns supreme. Now Cali and the South are a totally different story.

mas23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Out of all the Southern states I'd say North Carolina is the weakest when it comes to football. That's been changing in the past few years but still behind other southern states (even compared to its neighbor South Carolina). Stil better than most other states

Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
This is true. Often times, other schools in other neighboring states get talent from players who were rejected by there home states schools. Especially FLA, TX, CA. Although GA and Bama do well on their own, they often dip into Florida. Louisiana dips into Texas occasionally, and so does AK. But the state that dips into Texas the most, to the point that most of there Heisman-quality players have mostly come from Texas(Adrian Peterson is one of many). Than you got all those schools in CO, Idaho, NV, AZ, etc, that get their players from Cali.

I think FL dips more into GA, than GA dips into FL. That's one of the many reasons Mark Richt is on the hot seat at UGA, he's let a lot of 4 and 5 star recruits get cherry picked by FL, UM and FL State. Even UCF and USF get in on the action. GA has some of the best HS talent in the country, probably right behind Florida for best in the south. And a lot of times those top recruits don't go to UGA or GT, back in the day they would end up at UT or one of the Florida schools, or 'Bama and Auburn in recent years. Metro Atlanta alone had 3 of the top 25 nationally ranked HS teams this year, and there are a lot of powerhouses down state too, so the talent is here. It just doesn't stay in state. UGA gets the leftovers and GT gets the crumbs. Perfect example is Westlake HS in SW Atlanta, in just the last 10 years they have had 15 blue chip recruits (Cam Newton, Adam "Pacman" Jones, Sean Jones to name a few) and of those only like 4 stayed in state. How in the world UGA let Cam Newton get away is astonishing.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
By the way, a state people sleep on in terms of Football is Mississippi. Considering that guys like Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Brett Favre, Archie Manning, Steve McNair and Jackie Slater, among others, you are talking about the best ever.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:19 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Out of all the Southern states I'd say North Carolina is the weakest when it comes to football. That's been changing in the past few years but still behind other southern states (even compared to its neighbor South Carolina). Stil better than most other states
That's because it is a big Basketball state. Jordan, Dominique Wilkins, James Worthy and some others played their HS Basketball in NC.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's because it is a big Basketball state. Jordan, Dominique Wilkins, James Worthy and some others played their HS Basketball in NC.
That was something that I planed on saying but forgot it in my post. But yeah, basketball is king around here on the high school and college level. But Football is getting alot more popular by the day.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That 01 Hurricanes roster was INSANE!!! I'm not a U fan, I'm more of a Texas Longhorns fan, but that 01 Hurricanes team was arguably the greatest college football team of all-time.

McGahee
Ed Reed
Kellen Winslow
Vince Wilfork
Reggie Wayne
Frank Gore
Jeremy Shockey
Clint Portis
Andre Johnson
Nahje Davenport
Jerome McDougle
Jon Vilma
Antrell Rolle
Sean Taylor

That's just an unfair roster.SMH
Wow that really is just unreal that one college team had so much excellent NFL talent. Of course the only guy my eagles got of all those players was Jerome McDougle, who did squat in the NFL.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:20 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Wow that really is just unreal that one college team had so much excellent NFL talent. Of course the only guy my eagles got of all those players was Jerome McDougle, who did squat in the NFL.
And Santana Moss and Edgerrin James just graduated a year or two prior to 2001. I still say 01 Canes was the greatest collection of talent ever assembled. But the greatest TEAM was the 1995 Huskers. I mean they not only beat teams. They crushed them. Beat 3 top 10 teams by double digits. Beat the best Florida team and only undefeated Florida team ever by 36 points in the national title game.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not really. You just play basketball instead. Or you box. Golden Gloves is still popular in PA/NJ/NY. Cali puts out some good fighters too, but they tend to be in the lowest weight classes. There aren't too many dudes coming out of Philadelphia fighting at 106 lbs.
Yeah, I'd imagine Philly still being popular for Boxing. Boxing is popular in any inner-city really. Even in the South and the West-coast.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
And if we witness otherwise, we're told it never happened.
Yep. I think it's stupid, like people are gonna forget who won in 04. "The books are empty in 04, I guess nobody won that year herp derp!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City