Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,547,199 times

Advertisements

So, what does everyone think of the plan to reduce the density of Fay Apartments, oh, excuse me, Roll Hill Apartments? (A rose by any other name...) Is this going to squeeze people and their accompanying problems out of Fay and back into Fairmount, Westwood and Mount Airy?

How do you feel about $36 million being spent on this project?

Personally, I think the whole thing should be bulldozed, but then again that would even displace more people who have to go somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,590,739 times
I believe if this goes through the people forced out would end up in places in Colerain Twp. as opposed to Westwood ,Fairmount and Price Hill. The afore mentioned city areas have much to loose if they put the displaced residents there. The three neighborhoods are just starting to turn around after 20 years or so of decline. A good work has begun and I do not want to see that ruined .I think they should leave Fay alone and renovate them instead of bulldozing it. That way the urban problems will remain there instead of infest other areas.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,507,686 times
The Fay apartments has the same problem that OTR has. Everyone with a brain knows that the FA has drugs, prostitution, violence etc. Everyone knows that. Someone gets shot or shot at every week. People are dragged out in handcuffs all the time. The life squad should just park in there and wait for the next victim from a beat down or an overdose or just freaked out. So, why do they live there? There are a lot of places where an equivalent flat can be rented for the same money. So why do they go there? Every time I tell why about OTR I get attacked by some bleeding heart. So, I'll just pose the question.

Why would a person with half a brain move to the Fay Apartments?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:46 PM

860 posts, read 1,360,226 times
Maybe they're doing this to accommodate the people that will be displaced from OTR and Pendleton in the coming years. This project seems to coincide with the progress of OTRs revitalization, and it would provide a better, safer, more progressive option for working class families. Changing the environment kids grow up in is the first step in making CPS a better school system.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,951,191 times
curious if anyone has ever actually been there. i know i never have

Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,304,690 times
I've been to the Fay apartments several times. The buildings themselves are not that bad, but everything I saw was very dirty and there was trash everywhere. Some parts are worse than others. I did not feel like I was in any danger at two in the afternoon, but I don't think I would have been comfortable at all after dark on a summer night.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:06 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,547,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Maybe they're doing this to accommodate the people that will be displaced from OTR and Pendleton in the coming years. This project seems to coincide with the progress of OTRs revitalization, and it would provide a better, safer, more progressive option for working class families. Changing the environment kids grow up in is the first step in making CPS a better school system.
I'm not as optimisitic as you are. These types of hopeful statements are made everytime one of these projects are done, and it's usually only a matter of a few years before the place is in a similar condition to what it was. Decades of experience on a national scale shows this to be true.

The fact is, unfortunately, when you don't have a vested interest in where you live and you have no concept what it's like to have someone take away from you that which you have worked and paid for (physical property or otherwise), then you are less likely to take care of it. Human nature leads you take things for granted, and so the cycle continues.

It will take more than paint and new low flow toilets to fix the problems you are talking about.

Plus, Fay is getting smaller. I'm not sure how that will allow it to accept additional people from OTR.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:26 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,458,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
curious if anyone has ever actually been there. i know i never have
I've been there. I didn't feel like I was in immediate danger but it's not exactly a place I'd want to hang around.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,458,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The Fay apartments has the same problem that OTR has. Everyone with a brain knows that the FA has drugs, prostitution, violence etc. Everyone knows that. Someone gets shot or shot at every week. People are dragged out in handcuffs all the time. The life squad should just park in there and wait for the next victim from a beat down or an overdose or just freaked out. So, why do they live there? There are a lot of places where an equivalent flat can be rented for the same money. So why do they go there? Every time I tell why about OTR I get attacked by some bleeding heart. So, I'll just pose the question.

Why would a person with half a brain move to the Fay Apartments?
To be closer to their customer base and to avoid "meddlesome" neighbors and block watches.

I'd rather live in tent in the woods before moving to the projects.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:33 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,476,553 times
The area wasn't always bad. I think Tony Perez and some of the Reds lived there in the 1970s, though I could mistaken.

Incidently, plenty of Bengals and Reds now live in the Lytle Place tower on the river and throughout downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati