Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 15,546 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a major relocation sometime in the near future. We currently live in CT. We are seeking excellent schools and better support for our oldest son who has autism spectrum disorder, though he is very high functioning. This is hard to find in CT without paying over 500,00 for a home or settling for a home 1300sqft or less. Being we have 3 kids, we need more space than that!

We have visited Southwest Ohio (Mason), and we really liked it there. However, moving from the beautiful hills in scenic, green CT, I am having a hard time accepting moving down there where it is flat and relatively devoid of trees. Silly, I know, but being we are moving away from all our family and from everything we know, I want the location to be as close to perfect (for us) as possible.

Though we have visited the area, I guess I need more convincing. Thoughts on what it is like to live there? What kinds of things is there to do?

Another thing that concerned me is that I have heard the air quality is not so great in SW Ohio. Thoughts on that? Any asthmatics out there that find they have more difficulty in that area? Both my husband and son are asthmatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:02 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,849,122 times
Yes, Mason is flat and relatively devoid of trees since until a few years ago it was primarily farmland.

But SW Ohio does have a number of state parks in the area offering a variety of outdoor activities, boating & water skiing, fishing, hicking, etc. The local schools and parks offer a wide range of organized sports for the youth. As far as hills, a short drive along the Ohio River either east or west will produce a lot of hills and trees along the river basin. Very close to Mason is the Little Miami National Scenic River featuring a bike trail alongside the river for 78 miles of its natural gorge. If this is not enough hills and woods, a short drive down into NKY will produce plenty.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM

52 posts, read 92,677 times
We just to Mason 2 months ago from CT. There are trees if you find the right neighborhood. They may not be thick woods, but there is still greenery. Pine Hills Park in Mason has some wooded hiking trails with a stream and a nice size fishing pond/lake type thing. Hiking through the woods reminded me of being back east.

My children love school so far which they never did in CT. My 5th grader has told me she is happy we moved here.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,957,591 times
flat and devoid of trees? this is the southwest ohio i know:

http://davidwalker.us/Media/Photography/Gallery6/Autumn-Mt.-Airy-2.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
flat and devoid of trees? this is the southwest ohio i know:

Yes, my point. Mason may be flat with not many trees, but closeby areas are not. And I forgot to mention if you take a drive to the Hocking Hills section of SE Ohio you will find natural beauty equal to any in the country.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue60 View Post
We just to Mason 2 months ago from CT. There are trees if you find the right neighborhood. They may not be thick woods, but there is still greenery. Pine Hills Park in Mason has some wooded hiking trails with a stream and a nice size fishing pond/lake type thing. Hiking through the woods reminded me of being back east.

My children love school so far which they never did in CT. My 5th grader has told me she is happy we moved here.
I am glad your children are responding positively to Mason. As you say, the local Mason parks are great, maybe the best for a city of its size in this area. When you add on the Cincinnati parks, and the Hamilton Co. Parks you may also be talking about some of the best parks districts in the entire country. Throw the local Ohio State parks on top of this, and if you can't find something you like and which sastisfies you, I am not sure what you are looking for.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:42 PM

66 posts, read 189,814 times
Cincinnati and Hamilton County have many amazing parks, some of the best in the country! Cincinnati Parks are often ranked nationally in terms of quality and size. Ault Park, Eden Park, and Sharon Woods are three of my favorites that I visit often, though there are many I've never been to yet. Most of the Cincinnati area is not flat nor devoid of trees. In fact, Cincinnati is a city of hills and trees. On the other hand, Mason is actually one of the flattest and most "treeless" (at least natural/mature trees) suburbs of Cincinnati because the area around Mason was used for farming and the town added about 25,000 people in 20 years, which means there aren't going to be as many mature trees. There are some older areas though near downtown Mason and the city does have a couple great parks. In general, it is a great, very nice suburb with excellent schools. Though there are plenty of other options though that you may like better and the schools are just as great, or arguably better. Mariemont, Madeira, and Terrace Park are all communities with great schools and are very similar to what you might find in parts of Connecticut or New England. I know when P and G bought Gilette, many from Boston moved to Terrace Park. It is a very beautiful area, quite affluent, but not as costly as nearby Indian Hill. The three communities previously listed are very popular choices for those who transfer from New England. Also check out Montgomery, Symmes Township, and Blue Ash( Sycamore schools are awesome!)If an enviroment of hills and mature trees is really important to you, Anderson Township and Loveland are also both hilly and were built through forestland. I really think you would do fine in any community I listed. I would come visit and try to take a look at different areas and maybe tour the schools. That is the best way to get a feel for an area. There is a lot more to Cincinnati than Mason, though Mason is a great community with great facilities and numerous amenities. I love living here. Lots to do. You can't beat the cost of living, safety in the burbs, and the home you get here for the money. I could make a list of tons of activities to do but there are really too many to list. Check out cincinnatiusa.com to get an idea of some of the things around the area. One thing I know is that your kids would love Kings Island and The Beach Waterpark( in Mason). Keep in mind Southwestern Ohio (Cincinnati Dayton region) has about the same population as the state of Connecticut so there will be plenty to do. Good luck with move!

Last edited by cincyohguy; 08-30-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati