Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 01:05 AM

3 posts, read 13,325 times

Advertisements

Hello

I just turned 25 last month. All through my childhood/adolescent years up to finishing unveristy, I've had a strong relationship with God. I relied on him through all my decision making processes, and was always happy/confident with the paths I've chosen. My boyfriend of 5 years (rocky relationship) asked me about marriage. And even though I love him and we've been through so much, I don't know if it's the right thing for me to do. I've been praying and praying and it seems like God hasn't answered me. Career wise, I'm pretty confused about that too. Been praying for the right career opportunities to come my way but lately God's been pretty quite about that too. I've been in the this confused state for about a year now and I just really need to hear God's voice and his guidance, but my prayers just seem unanswered. I feel pretty alone/scared, and been giving up on my prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:45 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,653,102 times
God does hear your prayers. You are in a confusing time of your life. Lots of changes in your 20's. You know that God has already given you gifts and talents and you need to find an area that used those. Sometimes the thing to do is to head a direction and than ask God to close the doors if something isn't right.
I heard a saying once that God has a hard time steering a car standing still.
With your boyfriend, I used to tell my kids, "don't marry someone you can live with marry someone you can't live without." You sure don't have to be in a hurry in that area. Get your life on track first before you make a life decision. God Bless

Old 08-13-2008, 11:19 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times
Hi Meow83,

I agree with what Driftwoodpoint said. You may not feel like it, but you are still very young and if you are having doubts about marrying then it's probably best not to do it. Is he a Christian? If he isn't, that's trouble....God says not to be yoked with unbelievers. I'm speaking from experience.....not preaching.

Sometimes our prayers are being answered, but it's not what we want to hear. Then other times God is just silent. Maybe stepping out in a direction first and then seeing what God says about it is the way to go, like Driftwood said.

God is with you, He loves you, and wants the best for you. It will all happen in His timing. Read His Word, trust in Jesus and He will guide you.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,442,249 times
Don't be afraid. Give it over to God. Remember that living together outside of marriage is not God's will either. I took a really long time before I did what was right myself. Lived with someone for six years before I did what God wanted me to do. It wasn't anything short of miserable. Are sure it's confusion or disobedience? Remember sin is sweet.

Like the others asked, Is he a man of God? Where does your confusion really lies? At 25, I wasn't quite sure of what I wanted to do with my life either, but God used me mightily to be a nurse today and I use that to witness to the sick, the hopeless and dying. Allow God to use you according to His Will. Start praying again! God is calling you to be someone great. He has a plan for your life.

Find you a group of Bible-believing group of individuals and start studying the words of God again. God's not mad at you. His mercy is extended to all of us for such a time as this. Just don't sit still for too long or you become complacent. Faith without works is dead. Start writing down a list of occupations that you re interested in, then ask yourself, hmmm how can I use this to God's Glory. Nurse, most definitely, Teacher, for sure, do you know how many kids you can witness to? Senator, imagine how many different laws you could try to implement. You get the picture. You have some work to do. Whatever you do and/or decide, do it for the Glory of God. Hope this helps.

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow83 View Post
Hello

I just turned 25 last month. All through my childhood/adolescent years up to finishing unveristy, I've had a strong relationship with God. I relied on him through all my decision making processes, and was always happy/confident with the paths I've chosen. My boyfriend of 5 years (rocky relationship) asked me about marriage. And even though I love him and we've been through so much, I don't know if it's the right thing for me to do. I've been praying and praying and it seems like God hasn't answered me. Career wise, I'm pretty confused about that too. Been praying for the right career opportunities to come my way but lately God's been pretty quite about that too. I've been in the this confused state for about a year now and I just really need to hear God's voice and his guidance, but my prayers just seem unanswered. I feel pretty alone/scared, and been giving up on my prayers.

Sometimes I've found that no answer, is the answer.
Could be, the next step is yours, and all that God is promising is to be a lamp unto your feet.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,284,238 times
Smile Remember this

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow83 View Post
Hello

If you can remember on this passage of scripture, "that God is not the author of confusion"
Then who is, the adversary is; whether it is me or you , or anyone;
He deceives you into thinking that you cannot hear God's voice, and then he commences to "perpertrate a fraud";
Remember the promises of God also; He says that "my sheep know my voice and the voice of a stranger they will not follow";
We all have times that we are not sure what God is telling us, but also keep this in mind; That God's will is His Word; if you cannot find something in His Word (esp. when your mind start to think all sorts of things; myself inclusive)
Pray His word, especially Psalms; and get to a quiet place, away from distractions, boyfriend and all and concentrate on the lord, and remember the times that He has answered prayers in the past;
Forgive others and ask for forgiveness also, get in right standing with God first
He will not hear the prayers of an unforgiving heart; and an unrepentent heart; then believe. Psalms 23 is a simple prayer . Be honest with Him and He'll be honest with you.. and you should see a difference, then be still and know that He is God
p.s. You are not going through anything that, I haven't experienced, or at times are still experiencing.
God Bless you

Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,607,236 times
Consider that God helps us, but does not direct us. His voice will be loud and clear if we move away from what is best for us, but as long as we continue doing as he wishes he just sits back and nods..... very quietly it seems.

You will have to decide what you think he wishes for you and what is best and once you have a direction in mind, go back to God in prayer for confirmation. If your choices are not good, you will get a sign. It might be subtle, so you will have to keep your mind and heart open to him to recognize it.

God made man for companionship. We were not made to be mindless pets. God desired someone to converse and commune with. For that to happen we have to develop opinions, attitudes and convictions of our own. God routinely favored the most colorful personalities in the bible, not the most congenial. God's favorites had flaws and were headstrong and opinionated. They gave God problems by chosing their own paths, even in mild opposition to Gods commands, but they always came back to the path as they realized their folly.

We don't hear many stories about those who blindly follow and never question. Only those that think and act. Keep God in your heart and follow where your heart tells you to go and God will be with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity