Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 AM

114 posts, read 223,506 times

Advertisements

I want to know why many ministers and conservatives support a restoration to a "Christian" American Hertiage when Jesus said that His Kingdom is Not of this World (John 18:36). Also, why many conservatives want to compare the 1950s as a "pure" decade when the period was not as rosy as portrayed on old television shows such as Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,549,153 times
Because they've been influenced by the teachings of R.J. Rushdoony, whether they know it or not.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,638,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper_60619 View Post
I want to know why many ministers and conservatives support a restoration to a "Christian" American Hertiage when Jesus said that His Kingdom is Not of this World (John 18:36). Also, why many conservatives want to compare the 1950s as a "pure" decade when the period was not as rosy as portrayed on old television shows such as Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver?

It doesn't matter how unrosy it was. It was 1,000X better than today's times. And this is coming from an african-american. If you like STDs, rampant homosexuality, women being unfeminine and un-motherly, men acting like wild beasts, people sleeping around left and right, killing each other left and right, anger and negativity all the time, marriages being corrupted, men and women not knowing their gender roles in life, youth becoming unruly and dangerous, wickedness running in high places, morals ceasing to exist, values not being upheld, wrong becoming right and right becoming wrong, then I suppose the 21st century is a place for you. However I follow a God where none of this crap is acceptable. It's sickening living in these times. I walk the hallways of my high school and see the apostasy of the last days God said would be in the Bible. I never thought I'd see the day where boys were not being boys anymore. Holding hands in the hallways and young girls kissing other girls in the hallways. Boys and girls having sex at early ages and smoking and drinking. My God! And the people saying it's OKAY to do these vile acts are grown adults who do not have the fear of the Lord in their eyes. Sickos in Hollywood creating Glee! and the like making kids think it's OK and in God's eyes it's truly not! The 1950s America has something the world will never again know. Values, morals, and believing in God. Yes, they were prejudice of blacks and hispanics which was a result of their own ignorance because the rest of the world was far advanced with the issue of race. BUT most people had 1 thing right. The belief in the Lord Jesus. That he would provide for us. He's the one responsible for making the nation propserous as it was during that time. How else would we have came out the great depression?! NO OTHER WAY! Once that stopped, we were doomed!

The world will be in such a HUGE surprise when the Lord returns because almost everyone is going to get left behind in this mess!!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:56 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,549,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It doesn't matter how unrosy it was. It was 1,000X better than today's times.
Since you appear to still be in high school, may I ask how you know this?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:09 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,401,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper_60619 View Post

How dare you even say the word B--ver, I grew up in that time period and it was a vile term for a women's private parts.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,255,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It doesn't matter how unrosy it was. It was 1,000X better than today's times. And this is coming from an african-american. If you like STDs, rampant homosexuality, women being unfeminine and un-motherly, men acting like wild beasts, people sleeping around left and right, killing each other left and right, anger and negativity all the time, marriages being corrupted, men and women not knowing their gender roles in life, youth becoming unruly and dangerous, wickedness running in high places, morals ceasing to exist, values not being upheld, wrong becoming right and right becoming wrong, then I suppose the 21st century is a place for you. However I follow a God where none of this crap is acceptable. It's sickening living in these times. I walk the hallways of my high school and see the apostasy of the last days God said would be in the Bible. I never thought I'd see the day where boys were not being boys anymore. Holding hands in the hallways and young girls kissing other girls in the hallways. Boys and girls having sex at early ages and smoking and drinking. My God! And the people saying it's OKAY to do these vile acts are grown adults who do not have the fear of the Lord in their eyes. Sickos in Hollywood creating Glee! and the like making kids think it's OK and in God's eyes it's truly not! The 1950s America has something the world will never again know. Values, morals, and believing in God. Yes, they were prejudice of blacks and hispanics which was a result of their own ignorance because the rest of the world was far advanced with the issue of race. BUT most people had 1 thing right. The belief in the Lord Jesus. That he would provide for us. He's the one responsible for making the nation propserous as it was during that time. How else would we have came out the great depression?! NO OTHER WAY! Once that stopped, we were doomed!

The world will be in such a HUGE surprise when the Lord returns because almost everyone is going to get left behind in this mess!!
lol! OK then, just just keep on believe what you've been told to believe.

Ask someone who was alive in the '50s and they'll tell you, those shows were not reality. Wife beating, child abuse, alcoholism, horrible racism, sex, .... it all existed back then, but was mostly swept under the rug.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,011,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
lol! OK then, just just keep on believe what you've been told to believe.

Ask someone who was alive in the '50s and they'll tell you, those shows were not reality. Wife beating, child abuse, alcoholism, horrible racism, sex, .... it all existed back then, but was mostly swept under the rug.
AND we did not have CNN, FAUX news, Oprah, Jerry Springer, a million reality shows and other "cutting edge" documentaries to dig up all the sordid details hidden beneath that rug like we have today to make it appear that all was well back then compared to now. I even recall a story in the 50s about two teenagers (boy and girl) who went on a nationwide killing spree.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 8,061 times
well at least it was hidden it shows times have changed like the bible said it would, and we should face it, the word of god says so, so why we pretending the 50's are like now..because it clearly is not.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,364,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelkid View Post
well at least it was hidden it shows times have changed like the bible said it would, and we should face it, the word of god says so, so why we pretending the 50's are like now..because it clearly is not.

Are you really saying that having all those crimes and horrible things hidden is better than having them acknowledged? Would you say that to a woman who's husband was beating her?

Pretending something isn't really happening only makes it worse, not better.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,011,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelkid View Post
Pretending??? You think that humans have changed from the 50s to now? We just have more tools nowadays to get our evils on. Back home in the Virgin Islands, many of our kids are (as with elsewhere) out of control. They have no qualms murdering BUT as shocking as this is to us, they are a MINORITY. In addition, while we look on in horror and think they are the worse things we have ever seen, I am quickly reminded that were no angels either. There were always fights and many people had their heads busted opened with stones. I am willing to wager that if we had the availability of guns that the kids today have, we would have been just as deadly. As a result of us not having such weapons of destruction, the picture is skewed into making it seem as though we were better kids and better behaved.

Men and women have been cheating on each other and doing all kinds of other nonsense. Back in the days, it was just that men worked with other men and a man could stop by all his g'friends along the way without a wife knowing. While dad was out working, mom could be home getting it on with the milkman. Today, we have cell phones and computers to carry on our indiscretions and there is always that "meeting" in another state we need to attend OR the need to stay late at work. The situations have always been there. It's just we can carry them out to greater degrees now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity