Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 07:41 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times

Advertisements

Interested in any recs for storage facilities in the Chicago area for my personal belongings. Ideally somewhere central, between downtown Chicago and near west suburbs (ex. Oak Park, Forest Park etc..).

I will likely need to move all of my stuff (1 bedroom apartment) into storage while I am helping out my family for a ?few/several months, then will start apartment hunting again. Will hire movers to help me do this. Can't find any threads about finding a ?safe facility, and/or a moving company that has an associated storage facility that helps with this.

Looking for a place that will have some temperature control in a hot summer, where I can get in if needed if I need to retrieve things, and which is relatively secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 AM

50 posts, read 132,747 times
I would recommend one of The Lockup facilities. From what I've seen they're well maintained, have climate-controlled facilities, and offer use of a free, medium-size moving van to bring your things into the storage facility. You also get one month free (I think your second month of storage.)

I am currently using them to store my things between apartments. One thing to consider is storage in downtown is far more expensive than storage further out. I'm using the Lockup facility at Armitage and Western, which was cleaner than the downtown high-rise I moved out of (!) and has a very friendly and helpful manager. It was also HALF the cost of storing my things at the downtown Lockup on Kinzie Street in River North. I'd recommend this specific facility without hesitation. (I can't speak for any of their other locations.)

I don't believe they have any facilities on the west side and the closest suburban ones to Oak Park would be in directions away from downtown Chicago. If it helps, though, I really wanted to store my things downtown (since I lived a few blocks from the Lockup on Kinzie) but the affordability of dragging it all a few miles north made the difference.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:13 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Thank you Mike! That info is extremely helpful.

Can I ask - what size storage room did you use? How much stuff do you have (eg. much furniture)? Having a hard time figuring out what is the right size for my stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: