Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
NW burbs have coyotes and a coyote could get into town unnoticed via the viaducts for the rail lines and what not.
They definitely come in on the train tracks. My office overlooks the Metra UP North line and I've seen a few coyotes walking along the tracks (usually around dusk). The article linked to above says they estimate 2,000 coyotes are in Chicago, it isn't unusual to see them at all.

There is also a fox that I see in Winnemac Park every now and then, and there was Deer caught in someone's yard in Logan Square a year or two ago. And of course there was the cougar a few years back. All these animals most likely followed train tracks to get into town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 6,168 times
Default Yes, its lawful.

I heard the city placed them on the northside as part of an experiment to see if they can co-habitate with people. Sounds like they have made their way downtown! Anyone with a dog (especially a small dog) should be careful. They are known to try to take pets from their owners.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches0519 View Post
I heard the city placed them on the northside as part of an experiment to see if they can co-habitate with people.
I doubt this. Maybe they did it in the burbs, but the city? Hey, maybe you are right, but I have not heard of this. If you have a link I welcome reading all about it.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 6,168 times
Hi tonythetuna -

It's called "The Cook County, Illinois, Coyote Project". If you search on the title you should be able to find it. Also, there was a 11/15/10 Breaking News article, here is a quote from the article:

Cook County officials have fitted a few coyotes with GPS as part of an urban coyote project and has allowed them to run wild in Chicago to deal with the rodent population. It was unclear whether this coyote is part of that program. The animal was not captured.

Last edited by Peaches0519; 02-01-2011 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: links not showing correctly

Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches0519 View Post
Hi tonythetuna -

It's called "The Cook County, Illinois, Coyote Project". If you search on the title you should be able to find it. Also, there was a 11/15/10 Breaking News article, here is a quote from the article:

Cook County officials have fitted a few coyotes with GPS as part of an urban coyote project and has allowed them to run wild in Chicago to deal with the rodent population. It was unclear whether this coyote is part of that program. The animal was not captured.
Thanks for the link.

I, however, read nothing stating coyotes were being released IN THE CITY. Nor did I read anything (according to you) about coyotes "allowed...to run wild in Chicago to deal with the rodent population" or "placed...on the northside as part of an experiment to see if they can co-habitate with people."

"For more than ten years he and his colleagues have been tracking, trapping and studying coyotes."

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...rticle-7945162

Maybe you know something I don't that can't be proven on the internet. I leave that open to possibility.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 02-07-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM

190 posts, read 405,452 times
There were 2 coyotes released on the north side of the city with tracking devices. It was all over the news a few months ago.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoRE View Post
There were 2 coyotes released on the north side of the city with tracking devices. It was all over the news a few months ago.
But were they caught there to begin with? That is the question.

If you have a link that would be appreciated too.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Another coyote:

Coyote rescued from Lincoln Park overpass - Chicago Breaking News

Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I surprised they found one now. Roadrunner season doesn't even begin for another month.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM

994 posts, read 1,831,480 times
Yeah where I live you see them. I saw one walking my dog one night around 10pm in a little park across the street. I also saw one a year ago in the same park (probably the same one) around 2am when I got back from the bars. I also saw one stumbling home from the bar about two years ago on the banks of the Chicago river by Belmont. Now that I think of it must have been the same one all along. It was all in Avondale, in the eastern portion where I have seen it.

Kind of creepy just across the river in neighborhing Roscoe Village a mountain lion was captured and killed a few years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago