Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 02:32 PM

48 posts, read 168,157 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody:
So I have been working on moving to Chicago for the past 2 years or so from Boston. I finally sold my house here and have some good money saved up. I have an interview on Monday the 22nd, so I will be flying in on Friday the 19th. I am interviewing at a job in Orland Park. I know this is in the suburbs of Chicago so I have a few questions for all you Chicagoans who are more familiar with the area than I am.

First off, I want to explore some neighborhoods in the city while I am there next weekend. I know I am kinda jumping the gun, but with the chance that I am offered this job, I would still like to live in the city of Chicago. I am NOT a suburbs kinda guy. Just for some basic info about me, I am a 39 year old gay white male who really enjoys the amenities of the city. I love the neighborhoods of Lakeview and Lincoln Park, however these are on the north side of the city and that would make my commute to Orland Park a nightmare. So I am guessing my only options would be places like South Loop or Hyde Park. Does anyone have any other neighborhoods I should consider checking out while I am there this weekend? I would like to keep my budget at around $1500 per month for a 1 bedroom (hopefully including a parking space as I will have my car). I also don't need to live in a "gay ghetto" as I am pretty comfortable living in most areas as long as they are relatively safe.

Also, does anyone out there do this kind of commute? I am assuming it will take me about an hour each way with traffic, does this seem right? I know it would be easier to just live closer to the job but like I said, I really prefer somewhere in the city as I like the city life better. At least for a year, and then if the commute is too terrible I can make a decision to move closer at that time.

Anyway if I am not offered the position this will all be irrelevant LOL But I figured i would at least start to get a little prepared just in case. Thanks everyone for all your assistance and I hope to be living in Chicago soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
The major employers in Orland Park are not conveniently located for a commute to even the South Loop or Hyde Park, but at least in those locations you will avoid the worst choke points of the north side neighborhoods. I think a few posters here have a commute that is not quite a long as the drive down to Orland Park, but in general the route of the expressway is only less than half or so of the total travel time -- I think you might be able to expect something just over 45 minutes in good / early conditions and something at least 25% more in conditions of predictable heavy traffic. Bad snow storm? Could be more than double that -- the combination of heavy shopper traffic in Orland Park itself as well as lots of stop lights really makes things tough...

Lots of difference between South Loop and Hyde Park -- neither has much nightlife that caters to the 'lifestyle' and hard to say which is truly more pleasant. Pricewise money goes further in South Loop, and frankly I think the ease of exploring the rest of the Loop and north side neighborhoods on the weekends such would be easier from there too. Of course if you are from Boston and want a college campus "look" you could get that in Hyde Park, but the small number of students is very different than what you would see in Boston (or even the colleges near the South Loop...). Not sure if that is important to you, but might be a factor.

Good Luck!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM

chet: thanks for the info! I am not too particular about nightlife as I don't head out to bars that often, but it would be nice to have one not so far if the mood hits me. However I do consider myself more of a cafe/coffee shop kinda guy, and good restaurants are important as well as I love good food! I agree with you that South Loop might be better for me since its closer to the rest of the Loop and North neighborhoods for easier access. Do you know of any parts of the South Loop in particular I should focus on, or is it all pretty convenient to public transit? Does the El run through it? I'm not too familiar with South Loop so I will definitely explore it more when I am there next weekend. Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,773,801 times
Parts of the South Loop put you right by the Stevenson Expressway; the Stevenson out to LaGrange Road and then LaGrange south probably being as good a shot as any down to Orland.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,730,612 times
South Loop fits the bill. You have easy access on the Red Line into the Loop and Downtown. In the summer you can even walk into downtown (River North/Near North Side) depending how far south you live. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to get to Orland Park other than I-55 to 294 (Tri State). But you will be south of the misery that is the Kennedy (I-90) heading into downtown and the Ike (I-290). Prediction is morning commute (assuming you leave by 730-745) will be no longer than an hour barring weather problems and afternoons might be about the same or a little longer.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 PM

thanks for the replies! So it seems that South Loop would most likely fit the bill. I'm looking forward to doing some exploring when I am there next weekend. Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,550,234 times
I'd also say that the South Loop fits the bill. Besides Printers Row and parts around Columbia College, there's still not a lot of foot traffic -- it's a newer neighborhood which was industrial not long ago, perhaps similar to the South Boston waterfront -- but it does have city amenities like groceries, a variety of restaurants, parks, and great transit access to the Loop. As far as gay nightlife goes, there's an active "guerrilla gay bar" which visits different bars each month and attracts a large crowd of mostly 30-something guys; its success has led to a few other events as well.

The northern end of the neighborhood (Congress to Roosevelt) has the most "city" feel, but the southern end is closer to I-55. If you can take Metra commuter rail out there (perhaps keeping a bike/car at the station for that last mile), the trains to Orland Park leave from Union Station on the west side of the Loop.

You might also consider University Village and possibly east Pilsen while you're looking at locations convenient to I-55; it's just a quick trip up Halsted to LP/Lakeview but also right off the freeway. Take a look around Hyde Park only if you're looking for a more "settled," quiet neighborhood.

As far as other neighborhoods or suburbs go, I can't think of anything else promising out in that direction.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:06 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,218,853 times
If you're anticipating a one hour commute there are a lot of other neighborhoods you can look at. From West Town or Ukrainian Village you can take Ashland or Western south to 55, and from Bucktown you can get on 90/94 and deal with traffic getting to 55. All of those commutes should be just under an hour (I've had to drive to Orland Park a few times from the south end of Logan Square at rush hour and it took me about 50 minutes every time). The West Loop would also be worth looking at.

The South Loop is growing, but it still feels a bit sparse to me. There is a lot of new construction, but it doesn't have quite the same feel as more established areas. The area was overbuilt before the real estate crash, and there are some GREAT deals there for both buying or renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago