Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:35 PM

226 posts, read 979,969 times

Advertisements

um ok? not sure this has anything to do with the topic. But to give feedback on your reply, I prefer the country living over city (but not to country). I prefer driving my car over taking public transportation. Which is why I am on my way out of Chicago and Illinois in a few months. Good luck getting shot/mugged/stabbed/humiliated/harrassed/etc. on the EL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Not that I have anything against other races , but I hope gentrification has increased the percentage of NH whites from that paltry 31% . Not all European Americans could afford or even desire the automobile centric cookie cutter house strip mall suburban/exurban life style or even small town or rural living. I would like to see some ,even if it's just a small return to the shot and beer neighborhoods and lifestyle because the cost of living keeps getting higher and higher . I do realize it would not be as large scale as it was in the 50s and 60s but there are many non hispanic whites that are financially struggling and really cannot afford car oriented suburban living. Also it may be possible that some whites have returned to the city due to the high foreclosure rate in the suburbs ( that is not just in Chicagoland , but in most cities everywhere else) within the last few years. Only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
Good luck getting shot/mugged/stabbed/humiliated/harrassed/etc. on the EL!

I've never had that problem.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,943 times
Chicago proper hasn't been majority White since the mid-70s. NYC is a majority white(by a small bit) since the explosion of young White transplants from across the US and Europe, along with Russian, Irish, and Albanian White Immigrants. Also, a lot of it's Black residents have been moving out of the city proper since its become so expensive. Caucasian still is the majority but not by much, I consider NYC to be something like 35% White, 25% Black, 30% Hispanic, 10% other(Asians, Indians,etc).

Back to the point, the 2010 Census will show a big shift, the Southwest Side was a majority White in the 90s, now a majority Hispanic. Same with huge swaths of the Northwest Side. Former Minority Neighborhoods like Bucktown, Noble Square, Ukranian Village, Wicker Park, and the Near West Sides have become a majority White. Pilsen is changing a bit. The South Side probably hasn't changed much racially, same with the North Side(except for Uptown and Rogers Park). Frankly, I don't know if Chicago proper has many White middle-class family neighborhoods left, maybe the far Northwest Side and Mt. Greenwood on the far Southwest Side. The North side is more afflluent with Yuppie childless couples. Bridgeport is becoming more Asian and Hispanic and the Yuppies are starting to trickle in.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Quote:
Me neither, since I drive a car. I read the news and ponder.

Oh and probably the reason why this never/could never happen to you is because you live in Boystown.

Negative. I take the brown/red line as late as 10:30 or 11:00 on a pretty regular basis. Aside from peddlers and their odd wares and the random bum begging for money, I've been good.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The OP must never seen Chicago outside Downtown, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview. I seen comments from people that were shocked to find out Chicago has a large Hispanic/Mexican population. 2008 census estimated Illinois has almost 2 million latinos with over 1.5 million being Mexican, making latinos the largest minority in the state. Not something many people would expect in a Midwestern state.
yep latinos overtook black people in the metro. Now i think theyre like 20 percent of the metro. Not surprised tho. I was on my yahoo and there was some article talking about how illinois, jersey, and cali were the only sates with more immigration in 2008 than the last year.

Caucasian still is the majority but not by much, I consider NYC to be something like 35% White, 25% Black, 30% Hispanic, 10% other(Asians, Indians,etc).

i didnt know there were that many white and that many black in nyc. I always thought the numbers were more closer.

Last edited by mas23; 01-21-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post

Caucasian still is the majority but not by much, I consider NYC to be something like 35% White, 25% Black, 30% Hispanic, 10% other(Asians, Indians,etc).

i didnt know there were that many white and that many black in nyc. I always thought the numbers were more closer.
That used to be the case but with the outmigration of Blacks to the south and burbs and with the in-migration of young Whites and Ethnic Whites(I.E. Russians), that percentage has grown further apart. I expect Hispanics to become the highest percentage soon anyways.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
That used to be the case but with the outmigration of Blacks to the south and burbs and with the in-migration of young Whites and Ethnic Whites(I.E. Russians), that percentage has grown further apart. I expect Hispanics to become the highest percentage soon anyways.
Forgot to add, there are a lot of Carribean Blacks moving into NYC and African Americans moving out of NYC but the numbers leaving are higher than the incoming numbers.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:17 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,532 times
Quote:
I do not agree about Hispanics becoming the majority in NYC. Many of them, especially Puerto Ricans are moving OUT of the city to smaller Eastern Pa. cities such as Reading, Lancaster and the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area. As for as the Hispanics in Chicago are concerned I feel they will eventually come to a plateau instead of a more increase. Once that happens , they will start to leave the city as it gets more and more expensive. They will move out to the suburbs and in smaller midwest cities.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,847 times
Quote:
Me neither, since I drive a car. I read the news and ponder.

Oh and probably the reason why this never/could never happen to you is because you live in Boystown.

No, I live on the Southside. You're clearly a tard of some kind who tilts at imaginary windmills... I don't know anyone who's dealt with that, either, but I do know a lot of people who are 'afraid to ride the train' and probably imagine all sorts of terrible scenarios that could theoretically occur, even though the product of their vivid imaginations has no basis in reality, save for freak, totally outlying situations.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,532 times
Quote:
Chicago proper hasn't been majority White since the mid-70s. NYC is a majority white(by a small bit) since the explosion of young White transplants from across the US and Europe, along with Russian, Irish, and Albanian White Immigrants. Also, a lot of it's Black residents have been moving out of the city proper since its become so expensive. Caucasian still is the majority but not by much, I consider NYC to be something like 35% White, 25% Black, 30% Hispanic, 10% other(Asians, Indians,etc).

Back to the point, the 2010 Census will show a big shift, the Southwest Side was a majority White in the 90s, now a majority Hispanic. Same with huge swaths of the Northwest Side. Former Minority Neighborhoods like Bucktown, Noble Square, Ukranian Village, Wicker Park, and the Near West Sides have become a majority White. Pilsen is changing a bit. The South Side probably hasn't changed much racially, same with the North Side(except for Uptown and Rogers Park). Frankly, I don't know if Chicago proper has many White middle-class family neighborhoods left, maybe the far Northwest Side and Mt. Greenwood on the far Southwest Side. The North side is more afflluent with Yuppie childless couples. Bridgeport is becoming more Asian and Hispanic and the Yuppies are starting to trickle in.
That is very really sad about Chicago proper not having many white middle class family neighborhoods left. It seems like it's like that in cities all over. Pretty soon there be no more places for the hardworking blue collar Joes. They really cannot afford to live in car centric, cookie cutter house , unwalkable outer suburban areas with little to no access to decent mass transit and hard to cross 6-8 lane,traffic clogged roads where every family member over driving age needs there own vehicle just to buy a loaf of bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago