Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times

Advertisements

That area is very good -- lots of available apartments and there's city transportation and the U's bus. There's also kiddy parks for the younguns. I forgot to mention -- the Secret Service also has a presence in Hyde Park now. For obvious reasons, the 'big neck boys' are watching street happenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
There are many more high-rises east of the tracks (it's rare for families in the US to live in high-rises), and since most of the shops are west of the tracks you'll need to cross under the tracks to get there. Some people don't like the underpasses -- they're a bit unpleasant, but hardly unsafe. Blocks east of the tracks vary a bit more, with some very student heavy and others more family-oriented. However, it's much closer to the #6 bus to downtown.

The area north of the Golden Rectangle (up to 53rd) is also fine, but tends to have more student rentals.

You may be best off sticking with the university's grad-student housing at first -- ask your department contact about that.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 167,076 times
Thank you again. Doing some research on childcare & schools which seem to be excellent around lakeview and lincoln park compared to HP but....the distance is putting me off. Can either of you shed light on the commute times and practicality going from Lincoln Park to Hyde Park on a daily basis?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 56,735 times
Although I did not study at the U of Chicago (I actually did graduate study in England), some of my friends did. The U of C is VERY rigorous: plan to be there late at night in the libraries studying! As such, you should try to find something in Hyde Park.

Just from personal experience, going from downtown Chicago to Lincoln Park, depending on weather and traffic, can take up to half an hour or more; from Hyde Park, it will be twice as long particularly if you take public transportation.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 AM

863 posts, read 2,785,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativebronxgirl View Post
Just from personal experience, going from downtown Chicago to Lincoln Park, depending on weather and traffic, can take up to half an hour or more; from Hyde Park, it will be twice as long particularly if you take public transportation.
That's not entirely accurate. Depending on where you live in Hyde Park (the further east the better) you can catch the Metra Electric and be downtown in 15 minutes.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 56,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativebronxgirl

That's not entirely accurate. Depending on where you live in Hyde Park (the further east the better) you can catch the Metra Electric and be downtown in 15 minutes.

If you notice carefully in my original quote, I said "up to." That means that it can take anywhere up to a half hour or more; I also said "depending on traffic."

It's also better to be on the safe side and consider a "worst case" scenario--for instance, if she's not anywhere near a Metra. (Don't forget--she'll need to get to a station from the U. of Chicago library too, and that can add another 10 minutes or so.)

The best case scenario would be that she has a car and drives back from the U of C to Lakeview/Lincoln Park after 10pm. That would not be too bad.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snap203 View Post
Parts of Hyde Park are sketchy. As a rule of thumb, stay as close to the U of C campus as possible. Better option: live up north.
shut that trap. i hate the northside.
couldnt pay this white person to move from the southwest side.
go sip some starbucks so while your out i can rob your home since thats what us southsiders are known for.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:08 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
shut that trap. i hate the northside.
couldnt pay this white person to move from the southwest side.
go sip some starbucks so while your out i can rob your home since thats what us southsiders are known for.
Hahaaha, pwnt.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:09 AM

67 posts, read 207,952 times
I never had a problem in the '70s, using ordinary common sense....and it's way better now.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
What's the deal with resurrecting threads originally posted almost 2 yrs ago..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago