Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,125 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Chicago at the end of the month and am having a difficult time of figuring out finding an apartment. My budget is 800 for a studio and I am looking in: Lincoln Park, Lake View, Buena Park, Uptown, Edgewater, and Andersonville. I have been surfing craigslist and a few other apartment web sites and I am noticing that a vast majority of apartments are listed by the same small group of management companies and rental agencies. I have heard many horror stories about many of these groups and so I am concerned about knowing whether an apartment I am interested in is legit. I will be getting into Chicago on the 26th and would like to find an apartment for the month of July. I would sign a lease for an apartment prior to moving, but I don't want to show up and find out there is no hot water or the fridge is broken. Can I realistically find a decent place in such short amount of time or would I be better off finding a place prior to arriving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfromak View Post
I am planning on moving to Chicago at the end of the month and am having a difficult time of figuring out finding an apartment. My budget is 800 for a studio and I am looking in: Lincoln Park, Lake View, Buena Park, Uptown, Edgewater, and Andersonville. I have been surfing craigslist and a few other apartment web sites and I am noticing that a vast majority of apartments are listed by the same small group of management companies and rental agencies. I have heard many horror stories about many of these groups and so I am concerned about knowing whether an apartment I am interested in is legit. I will be getting into Chicago on the 26th and would like to find an apartment for the month of July. I would sign a lease for an apartment prior to moving, but I don't want to show up and find out there is no hot water or the fridge is broken. Can I realistically find a decent place in such short amount of time or would I be better off finding a place prior to arriving.
As far as the apartment finding services, I ended up going through 'Apartment People' and had no issues.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:01 PM

308 posts, read 758,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
As far as the apartment finding services, I ended up going through 'Apartment People' and had no issues.

I'll second that. As a matter of fact, I have known several people who have used their service and it's worked out quite well.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
The first year you should use an apartment rental service (they're free too you, but they do charge the landlord, so you might end up paying a couple extra dollars a month); next year you can take your time and wander around the neighborhood looking for those orange and black for rent signs -- that's how you get the best deals from the owner/occupied units.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,250,407 times
Ditto the apartment search services. I personally hate using the Apartment People as I've had really bad experiences (long waits, not listening to what you want), but they have a large selection. Also try the apartment guys, apartment finders, homestead group...there are a ton. Search on craigslist and on the reader and you can double check addresses here.

800 for a studio is very low in some of those areas just FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: