Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 11:55 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,085,150 times

Advertisements

I was just pretty freaked out reading the new 08 school report cards that a public high school one mile from my house (Julian on 103rd and Vincennes -- middle to poor I guess but not exactly the projects) had EIGHT freaking percent of its students pass the PSAE. That is absolutely incredible to me. Am I misunderstanding something or is this scary as hell? It's hard for me to believe money alone can fix a problem like that -- I'm from an overall pretty poor country originally and the local school had extremely modest resources (dirt poor by U.S. standards) but it was taken very seriously by the students. By comparison the area by Julian and the school itself is incredibly wealthy and prosperous. Is money really the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 11:57 AM

838 posts, read 3,100,743 times
money is not the problem, nor is it the solution. Prosperity is always relative, factoring in purchasing power parity.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:42 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,085,150 times
I spoke too soon. 7.7% passing rate still puts Julian ahead of 25 other schools in sd 299. Go south side. Where my daughter swims in the summer (Dyett on 51st just east of King) 3.3% passed. Scary. Pool is pretty nice though.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 PM

233 posts, read 701,822 times
It's like pouring money into a black hole. The change, if it ever comes, will be when the students and the parents of the students will it. When the culture of the inner city changes from gangsta rap to intellectual and cultural achievement. It will be wonderful if it ever happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,840,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
It's like pouring money into a black hole. (emphasis mine)
Is this a Freudian slip?

Freakonomics points out that peer groups play a large part in whether a child values education--more so than parental influence! As SAI126 points out, the culture of the inner city places very little value on education at this point in time. It's especially a problem for young African Americans who have the attitude that scholastic achievement is "acting white". It's quite sad, and is a huge waste of potential.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:27 PM

233 posts, read 701,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Is this a Freudian slip?
No, if it was I would have said a black and brown hole. Sheesh. Can things get any more PC?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,840,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
No, if it was I would have said a black and brown hole. Sheesh. Can things get any more PC?
I was joking. I should have put a "" next to it to be more clear... Sorry!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:22 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,266,630 times
Having checked out that school for kicks at one point, I agree; dumping money in is not a good idea. Where I am student teaching at the moment (Joliet), we see the same phenomenon that was mentioned above-backlash against "acting white". Sadly, many of my poor Black kids have more than adequate critical thinking skills, and good creativity that could take them somewhere. However, why would they choose to achieve? It's frustrating for me as a teacher, but all we can do is try our best to create a better learning culture. The problem we find is that one or two bad apples can kill the momentum.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times
Lifted straight from another post of mine on this subject:

At $11,000 per pupil per year, CPS's budget is not exactly inadequate. The problems have a lot to do with a major bureaucracy being so entrenched and self-serving that it is simply unable to deliver a quality educational product. If CPS's budget doubled tomorrow, the extra money would vanish into a cosmic vacuum of incompetence, patronage and waste. Little of it would actually reach the classroom level nor would it measurably improve academic outcomes.

And this is hardly unique to Chicago either; this is a common problem with nearly every major-city school district. Washington DC's per-pupil budget is somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000/yr, NYC's about $17,000, and their results are no better. And it's not politically correct to say this, but you can't discount how the moral health of the community affects the quality of the schools. No amount of school funding tinkering is going to fix that problem. And quite honestly, the education bureaucracy and "community activists" are a lot more interested in getting more of your money than fixing the problem.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,241,581 times
My roommate worked for CPS for 5 years teaching 5th grade on the west side.

Pour as much money as your heart desires into the schools, unless you have parents and a community that are dedicated and devoted to education, nothing will change. The most sad part is that most people live and die to have their children become more than they were, but it only takes 10% of people not caring to destroy an entire neighborhood after only a few years......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago