Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:03 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Oops, that's a pretty big math error. I'd change it, but it's too late to edit. I accidentally multiplied everything by seven, so my scenario would actually be for someone driving 150 miles per day.

I only noticed because that's about what I drive per month and I was completely alarmed by the numbers. I was ready to tell my boss that it was time for me to work from home more often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM

216 posts, read 723,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
you don't like efficient trains?

Sorry, should have been more clear. Metra is very efficient from the suburbs when I want to go to the city. So no need to live there.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmi605 View Post
Sorry, should have been more clear. Metra is very efficient from the suburbs when I want to go to the city. So no need to live there.
... also, I should not post things after I just woke up.
if that's what works for you, great!
I like my city though.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:26 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default I wish I drove 150 miles per week

I drive 15-25 miles each way to work, depending on what office I work out of. I am now spending most of my time in my Des Plaines office as it is so much closer than Arlington Heights. 20 miles a day makes a big difference ($5 a day in gas alone not to mention the wear and tear on the car).

I drive 25-30,000 miles per year. I have had my car for 5 1/2 years and passed 150,000 miles just yesterday. In Indiana, I used to drive 60 miles each way to work.

I envy people who are only driving 150 miles per week to and from work. I drive almost 4 times that each week (mostly for work as I do a lot of driving to and from appointments and between my various offices).

Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM

67 posts, read 207,995 times
Besides the CPS, the other entity that has to get its sh*t together if a real return to the city trend is to be sustained is CTA/RTA. The nightmare that CTA travel in particular is becoming will neutralize the theoretical advantages of city living in many people's minds, unless things improve.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,985 times
Most of the "back-to-the-city" movement these days is centered in River North, West Loop, South Loop, and the other areas near the central core, all of which are within walking or biking distance to the Loop. If anything, the CTA's problems strengthen the argument for living downtown, so I don't see how that neutralizes any advantages in living *in the city*. In fact, not being dependent on the CTA or Metra is one of the most compelling reasons for moving down here, and I can tell you from experience my stress level goes up a notch in the winter when I take the CTA to and from work.

What the CTA's problems do neutralize is the advantage of living in far-flung neighborhoods within the city limits, which is why I always advise newcomers to start close to work and then move farther away as they become more familiar with the city.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:31 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I drive 15-25 miles each way to work, depending on what office I work out of. I am now spending most of my time in my Des Plaines office as it is so much closer than Arlington Heights. 20 miles a day makes a big difference ($5 a day in gas alone not to mention the wear and tear on the car).

I drive 25-30,000 miles per year. I have had my car for 5 1/2 years and passed 150,000 miles just yesterday. In Indiana, I used to drive 60 miles each way to work.

I envy people who are only driving 150 miles per week to and from work. I drive almost 4 times that each week (mostly for work as I do a lot of driving to and from appointments and between my various offices).
I feel for you. I actually have a 45 mile commute each way, but I only go into the office about twice per week. Otherwise, the commute would kill me.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 PM

67 posts, read 207,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Most of the "back-to-the-city" movement these days is centered in River North, West Loop, South Loop, and the other areas near the central core, all of which are within walking or biking distance to the Loop. If anything, the CTA's problems strengthen the argument for living downtown, so I don't see how that neutralizes any advantages in living *in the city*. In fact, not being dependent on the CTA or Metra is one of the most compelling reasons for moving down here, and I can tell you from experience my stress level goes up a notch in the winter when I take the CTA to and from work.

What the CTA's problems do neutralize is the advantage of living in far-flung neighborhoods within the city limits, which is why I always advise newcomers to start close to work and then move farther away as they become more familiar with the city.
I agree with your observations, but I don't think you can call a movement that is limited to the few city areas that are within walking/biking distance of downtown a true "back to the city" movement. Seems to me the more "far flung" neighborhoods that constitute the vast majority of the city (and contain the more affordable housing as well) need to be involved in this trend to sustain its momentum.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post

I don't think it is limited to those areas at all - look at what has happened to Wicker Park, West Town, Ukrainian Village, Lincoln Sq., Andersonville, Bucktown, Logan Sq. over the last 10 years (just to name a few areas). The near NW side has undergone dramatic changes due to the "back to the city" movement. I moved to Chicago 15 years ago and none of those neighborhoods are recognizable from what they used to be. Many other areas like Bronzeville and Bridgeport have changed quite a bit as well.

The CTA is still suffering from over a decade of neglected maintenance, and only in the last year or two have they begun to make up for that. Within two or three years the CTA will be much more reliable and efficient due to work that is being done on essential things like rail ties, modern signals, and new rolling stock. It is painful waiting for the work to be finished tho'.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM

107 posts, read 327,613 times
When were most of the rusty CTA overpasses built? I remember hearing somewhere that a vast portion of the infrastructure was built in 1912. Judging by the huge rivets embedded in that steel, it looks to be the same vintage as the RMS Titanic. They must have used similar construction methods because I remember seeing those huge rivets in the Titanic as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago