Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 11:08 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,145,723 times

Advertisements

Never been to LA. I used to have family in Chicago. I visited them there once, in 1989. I loved Chicago. Of course, seeing family was a huge part of it. Lots of great eating places. Had my first Greek food there at the Parthenon in Greektown. Countless other places I forgot the names of. My cousins both lived on Albany Ave off Irving Park Road. Great neighborhood, they knew a lot of the neighbors. Took a boat tour on Lake Michigan, went to a ball game at Wrigley Field. My aunt lived on Janssen, near there. Enjoyed riding the L. Amazing to ride 2-3 feet away from apartment buildings on the elevated parts. Punk was a huge thing there at the time. About half the people in bars had spiked hair, blue/purple streaks, etc. I was amazed at the level of public smoking. I live in a tobacco city (Durham, NC) & we were already winding down public smoking. I think a skyscraper was going up at Doral Plaza at the time. I went to the top of the Hancock building.

Sure sorry to hear about the crime problems there now. My aunt passed away some years ago & my cousins left a few years ago, after growing up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 04:22 AM

404 posts, read 433,870 times
LA is like a country. There are mountains within city limits. You can be an hour away from downtown within city limits (traffic free). Chicago feels more like a city. It compares to LA in diversity. LA has caught up in rapid transit.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:38 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowm3 View Post
I clearly hit a nerve. Truth hurts unfortunately.
No. Your comments are blanket and idiotic. This is a reflection of you as a poster. Again. Do better.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:41 AM

50 posts, read 27,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
No. Your comments are blanket and idiotic. This is a reflection of you as a poster. Again. Do better.
Reflection of me? Do you even live here? I see Chicago for what it is everyday. The people are not really that outgoing or interesting. Hence why I said plain, because it barely feels like there's personality most of the time. People do not talk to you unless they know you, and everyone has their cliques so it's harder to break into friendships. Everyone already knows each other so why bother to make new friends? Really stems from the tribalistic nature of the city I grew up seeing.

There are always outliers but Chicago is not known for being an energetic, outspoken city so what about my statements are incorrect? I grew up here I can say whatever the hell I want about my city. Sounds more like you have an issue with what I said, and that's fine, but it doesn't negate what i've seen and experienced. I have no reason to sit here and lie to some jerkoff scumbag on the internet. Good day.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:54 PM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
People do not talk to you unless they know you, and everyone has their cliques so it's harder to break into friendships. Everyone already knows each other so why bother to make new friends?

This isn't a city issue, but rather a people issue; occurring even in smaller towns.
And the more people you meet; the more likely you are to find common interests; and lasting friendships.

Old 12-17-2023, 02:50 PM

2,613 posts, read 1,208,566 times
LA is really cool. So is Chicago.

During the summer months, I prefer Chicago. Rest of the year, I'm California dreamin'.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 774 times
I mean, I get that you like Chicago but that doesn't mean you have to denote LA's very existence haha.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:03 PM

56 posts, read 34,284 times
Jeez Louis!

Some of you are triggered aren't you? Hahaha. D riding am I?! hahaa. Tremendous!

Listen folks, DO NOT get me wrong! LA has a lot of cool things I really enjoy! I think the food is underrated, the people I meet in LA are some of the most interesting people I meet anywhere in the world, the women are generally a treat, plenty of great places to see. LA is definitely a very unique cities and not many other places in the world can compare to LA. I actually enjoy LA very much and visit there often. I DO NOT hate LA and I never said that.

However, I just think Chicago feels more like a city and a city that has a better layout. And I don't care what anyone says but I am just not impressed with LA's metro system. Once upon a time it had promised and was set to rival NYC's metro system but the car industry dominated LA's preferred mode of transportation. So it just isn't on par. Chicago is just so much better for getting around by foot.

Old 12-18-2023, 12:17 AM

253 posts, read 197,718 times
Quote:
Chicago may have more of a big city vibe compared to LA, but Chicago has nowhere near the level of culture or expression LA has. And that is what attracts people to the city. To put into perspective, Chicagoans are extremely plain, perhaps even boring, maybe that is due to being located in the Midwest. This isn’t a bad thing however.

You leave the downtown area of Chicago and it looks like every other city in the rest belt. Just my opinion of what I observed as a native.
LA is hollywood as hell.
They have no culture.
Goofy

Old 12-18-2023, 12:18 AM

253 posts, read 197,718 times
Quote:
Reflection of me? Do you even live here? I see Chicago for what it is everyday. The people are not really that outgoing or interesting. Hence why I said plain, because it barely feels like there's personality most of the time. People do not talk to you unless they know you, and everyone has their cliques so it's harder to break into friendships. Everyone already knows each other so why bother to make new friends? Really stems from the tribalistic nature of the city I grew up seeing.

There are always outliers but Chicago is not known for being an energetic, outspoken city so what about my statements are incorrect? I grew up here I can say whatever the hell I want about my city. Sounds more like you have an issue with what I said, and that's fine, but it doesn't negate what i've seen and experienced. I have no reason to sit here and lie to some jerkoff scumbag on the internet. Good day.
You serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago