Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 02:38 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Huh? I've walked to the UC from downtown before. It's a good 20 min walk or so but you can also take any number of busses or the L train.

I agree there isn't much directly around the UC besides parking lots, for obvious reasons, but there is still some great dining and bar options in the west loop which would be a quick 10 min walk way. West Loop is home to some of the best restaurants in Chicago and the world.
Cool. I'll bet those parking lots are really urban though.

NBA games in Los Angeles take place downtown right next to a light rail station and three blocks from a subway station, surrounded by food and drink venues, you could even pre game at the Grammy Museum right next to the stadium, or maybe catch a quick rooftop pool party at the Hotel Figueroa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 03:31 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Big cities on the East and West coasts will never consider Chicago an equal because it's in the Midwest.

Old 12-19-2023, 04:10 PM

50 posts, read 27,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
If by boring, you mean, not douche-baggy, then I agree.

I live in Chicago, and there are a lot of weird and interesting people in the city.

Suburbs are a different story.
What makes you think I mean douche baggy? You don’t have to be an ******* to be an interesting person. And believe me there are douche bags in Chicago.

I said there’s always outliers. Yes… there are interesting people in Chicago. Yes… there are fun people here. Are you seeing this everyday on the streets? NO. People always overstate a city’s qualities online but when you actually get there it’s the complete opposite.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:06 AM

441 posts, read 227,367 times
^I could honestly care less about Chicago people being "outgoing" or whatever blowm3 is talking about. What chicago needs to focus on is getting its basics back in order. Yes Daley was corrupt, but when he was running the city it was functioning. We had proper working police, didn't have a company exodus, etc. Chicago needs leadership that will focus on lowering crime, taxes, and improving schools. Fix those 3 things and Chicago's population will grow.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:28 AM

403 posts, read 929,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Big cities on the East and West coasts will never consider Chicago an equal because it's in the Midwest.
Not really. People in those places tend to LOVE Chicago actually. NYers, LA people, Bay Area, etc., that I've met. Just met two girls who just moved here from Boston over the last year, and they're head over heels for Chicago. A 'bigger Boston' is how they framed it, and Lake Michigan is basically an ocean in their eyes. Midwest is lowkey on the come up too.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:30 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowm3 View Post
What makes you think I mean douche baggy? You don’t have to be an ******* to be an interesting person. And believe me there are douche bags in Chicago.

I said there’s always outliers. Yes… there are interesting people in Chicago. Yes… there are fun people here. Are you seeing this everyday on the streets? NO. People always overstate a city’s qualities online but when you actually get there it’s the complete opposite.
What does "seeing this everyday on the streets" mean?

Are you expecting people to be running around naked down the block? What exactly is more interesting about people in Los Angeles? Explain your assertion.

Now NYC? Absolutely - some people there ARE different - it's a unique place where if you are not loud, you get lost, and I did see that all the time in that city. But I haven't seen that in any other place in the US. Maybe SF, but not in a good way.

Walk around Wicker Park, Pilsen, South Loop, Uptown, Logan Square. Tons of people wearing interesting/cool clothes, partaking in whatever. I'm in West Town - we've got people riding around with skeletons on their car roofs, bikes with lights all over them, etc.

Sure, if you stay downtown or in uppity rich enclaves, most people are going to be more reserved or buttoned up and less "out there". Maybe you just don't get around to the other neighborhoods? Chicago is pretty segregated, so some areas will seemingly have a more boring vibe.

Andersonville is another one - that one is rich, vibrant and people there are not boring.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:35 AM

403 posts, read 929,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
There's certainly a weird Chicago-LA complex that seems to only go in one direction.

To me, Chicago felt a little bigger downtown and at the airport. The trains were busier downtown, but it didn't really feel like there was more actual coverage, and the obvious shape of things to come is L.A. surpassing Chicago in terms of mass transit.

Funny story-had tickets to see the Bulls-OKC game, and ended up not even going when I realized how far out of the way the United Center was (and how there doesn't seem to be much around it).

Didn't know Chicago was so "spread out"!
Chicago is a LOT bigger downtown than LA. That's not close..I felt like LA's downtown was similar to like Pittsburgh in size (was last there 2019). As for area around UC--That whole area is gonna be massively redeveloped/built up in the next few years, as the Damen Green line stop comes online in spring 2024. West Loop is one of (if not the) hottest sub-market in the entire country and keeps moving west at a crazy pace...incredible how much the WL has grown in the last 10 years. New development also starting to spill in to East Garfield Park, which would be unthinkable not long ago

West Loop/Fulton Mkt 5 months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg83z_rR_l4

Last edited by raleightransplant; 12-20-2023 at 12:10 PM..

Old 12-20-2023, 01:50 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
LA feels more suburban to me than urban. Public transit is barely useable and you have to drive everywhere. It’s easily one of the most frustrating cities I’ve visited.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:49 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Cool. I'll bet those parking lots are really urban though.

NBA games in Los Angeles take place downtown right next to a light rail station and three blocks from a subway station, surrounded by food and drink venues, you could even pre game at the Grammy Museum right next to the stadium, or maybe catch a quick rooftop pool party at the Hotel Figueroa.
Am I supposed to be impressed? You can take one of two different L lines to the UC, Blue or Pink, plus many different bus lines run east/west or north south since Chicago is on a grid. If you're trying to state how easy it is to get to a lakers game then you likely won't impress me much.

The reason the UC doesn't have too many restaurants and bars directly around it is because of two reasons:
1) parking takes up a ton of space, bad? Maybe. Good for suburban visitors and driving in? Definitely
2) The area around the UC is still up and coming. It used to be a pretty bad area to be in, especially directly north or west of the UC. Within the past 5 years or so the west loops has continually gentrified and I can foresee a bunch of stuff making it's way closer to the area. Kaiser Tiger for example is supposed to be a really top rated restaurant within 10 mins of the UC.

Either way, shame you missed the game. The opening lineup to the bulls is iconic. I'm just bummed you missed a game because you didn't want to figure out the transit.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:59 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Am I supposed to be impressed? You can take one of two different L lines to the UC, Blue or Pink, plus many different bus lines run east/west or north south since Chicago is on a grid. If you're trying to state how easy it is to get to a lakers game then you likely won't impress me much.

The reason the UC doesn't have too many restaurants and bars directly around it is because of two reasons:
1) parking takes up a ton of space, bad? Maybe. Good for suburban visitors and driving in? Definitely
2) The area around the UC is still up and coming. It used to be a pretty bad area to be in, especially directly north or west of the UC. Within the past 5 years or so the west loops has continually gentrified and I can foresee a bunch of stuff making it's way closer to the area. Kaiser Tiger for example is supposed to be a really top rated restaurant within 10 mins of the UC.

Either way, shame you missed the game. The opening lineup to the bulls is iconic. I'm just bummed you missed a game because you didn't want to figure out the transit.
I used only CTA rail and buses the whole four days I was there. Transit times were pushing 50 minutes from downtown, and I was already getting emails from the venue advising that I arrive super early. Wasn't going to happen.

Just so everyone can see, here what one would be dealing with tonight from near where I stayed to go to the United Center:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/John...!5i4?entry=ttu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago