Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 04:57 PM

219 posts, read 135,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I think your neighbors would disagree very strongly. I'm not sure its reputation for athletics is any greater than other public high schools in the vicinity. Maine South, for a relatively newer institution, has an impressive list of alumni. Obviously, Hillary Rodham Clinton is chief among them. My perception is that it is a well-rounded school. If your child gets on the honors track at Maine South, they're going to have the same basic curriculum as Northside. This is an extremely expensive move that greatly outstrips the cost of just enrolling him at Latin or something similar! In addition, heaven forbid you have any kind of problem with the administration. CPS will probably make it a nightmare.
North Side Prep is ranked 31 in the entire nation. Maine South is ranked 698. That's not even close by anyones standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 01:44 PM

23 posts, read 23,659 times
I agree with Hiruko's sentiments about the cost/benefit analysis. I'm a long time CPS parent and have had kids in multiple SEHS. Very happy with the education my kids have received, both at our neighborhood elementary and at the high school level. However, if I were content living in a suburb like Park Ridge with a strong public school option, I don't think I would consider making this move if the only factor were an opportunity to have my kid go to NCP. We never considered raising our kids in the suburbs, and I have three kids, not one, so I can't put myself completely in your shoes. You also may be looking at a teachers' strike in the Fall of 2024 when the current contract expires, regardless of who ends up on the 5th floor of City Hall after the election. CPS/CTU relations are not for the faint of heart.

If you are going to make the move, I'd look carefully when selecting a home. Access to NCP via car and transit can be challenging unless you live and/or work nearby. We live three miles away in North Center and NCP is a far less popular option around here than Lane or even Jones and Payton due to the fact that it's just not that easy to get there from most neighborhoods.

Also, FWIW, CPS is not going to offer nonresidents the option to pay a "small fee" to attend NCP no matter how close you perceive yourself to be.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:27 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
I did see the new thread that OP started regarding a house swap. The areas noted, except for perhaps Edgewater would be a long and difficult daily commute to get to NCP. I would never put my kid through that.

Something that seems to be getting ignored when comparing these selective enrollment schools vs the public schools in the suburbs is that various ranking scores are skewed because lower performing students are not accepted in the first place at the selective enrollment schools. For example, NCP is about 25% the size of Stevenson. If you took into account only the top 25% of Stevenson students, it would likely equal but more likely exceed NCP in various ranking metrics. At the same time, the facilities at Stevenson would put NCP to shame. If you have a high performing student, they will get as good an education at Stevenson and will have far more activities in which to participate at a higher level be that athletics, arts, music, drama - you name it, Stevenson has it. And Stevenson is not alone. There are many suburban high schools in the same tier academically as far as their top performing students go. Maine South is an excellent school and any high performing kid would get an outstanding education there. Same with other schools nearby like Hersey, Fremd, Stevenson, Barrington, New Trier, Deerfield, the Glenbrooks and others.

It just seems to me that what OP is planning is pretty extreme given the other far less disruptive options with little additional benefit to show for it. If OP does not like Maine South for some reason, with their budget, they could easily move into pretty much any top-tier HS district in the NW or N burbs and get the same and perhaps a more rounded result from an education standpoint at the end of the day.

High performing students are going to be high performers wherever they go.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:21 AM

14 posts, read 11,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncls12 View Post
I agree with Hiruko's sentiments about the cost/benefit analysis. I'm a long time CPS parent and have had kids in multiple SEHS. Very happy with the education my kids have received, both at our neighborhood elementary and at the high school level. However, if I were content living in a suburb like Park Ridge with a strong public school option, I don't think I would consider making this move if the only factor were an opportunity to have my kid go to NCP. We never considered raising our kids in the suburbs, and I have three kids, not one, so I can't put myself completely in your shoes. You also may be looking at a teachers' strike in the Fall of 2024 when the current contract expires, regardless of who ends up on the 5th floor of City Hall after the election. CPS/CTU relations are not for the faint of heart.

If you are going to make the move, I'd look carefully when selecting a home. Access to NCP via car and transit can be challenging unless you live and/or work nearby. We live three miles away in North Center and NCP is a far less popular option around here than Lane or even Jones and Payton due to the fact that it's just not that easy to get there from most neighborhoods.

Also, FWIW, CPS is not going to offer nonresidents the option to pay a "small fee" to attend NCP no matter how close you perceive yourself to be.

Thank you for sharing your perspective as a long-time CPS parent with experience in multiple SEHS. I appreciate your input and your thoughts on the challenges of accessing NCP via car and transit. I also appreciate your insight on the potential for a teachers' strike in the future, as well as the information on CPS's policy regarding nonresident students attending NCP.

We all factor all of this in our decision making.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
I did see the new thread that OP started regarding a house swap. The areas noted, except for perhaps Edgewater would be a long and difficult daily commute to get to NCP. I would never put my kid through that.

Something that seems to be getting ignored when comparing these selective enrollment schools vs the public schools in the suburbs is that various ranking scores are skewed because lower performing students are not accepted in the first place at the selective enrollment schools. For example, NCP is about 25% the size of Stevenson. If you took into account only the top 25% of Stevenson students, it would likely equal but more likely exceed NCP in various ranking metrics. At the same time, the facilities at Stevenson would put NCP to shame. If you have a high performing student, they will get as good an education at Stevenson and will have far more activities in which to participate at a higher level be that athletics, arts, music, drama - you name it, Stevenson has it. And Stevenson is not alone. There are many suburban high schools in the same tier academically as far as their top performing students go. Maine South is an excellent school and any high performing kid would get an outstanding education there. Same with other schools nearby like Hersey, Fremd, Stevenson, Barrington, New Trier, Deerfield, the Glenbrooks and others.

It just seems to me that what OP is planning is pretty extreme given the other far less disruptive options with little additional benefit to show for it. If OP does not like Maine South for some reason, with their budget, they could easily move into pretty much any top-tier HS district in the NW or N burbs and get the same and perhaps a more rounded result from an education standpoint at the end of the day.

High performing students are going to be high performers wherever they go.
You bring up some valid points about the challenges of commuting from certain areas to NCP. You are also spot on about the extreme measures... It has not been an easy decision to make. Our kid has been going to small private gifted school all his life. While we want something bigger, not so big as the size of Stevenson. Also he has zero exposure to diversity or inferior facilities. Things have been given to him in a silver spoon. Moving to Northside is NOT just about ticket to Ivies.. if he is good enough, he will get it regardless where he ends up - as you pointed out. But building character is important. I know I may come across bit harsh with philosophy and bit extreme with my POV. We don't want to raise an entitled kid (which he is not) and have an appreciation of what he has and taste of real life. It aint going to be easy for us either! Please pray for us

Old 03-30-2023, 08:13 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
I would either live in a convenient spot to the school, or stay put. There is no need to live on the lake or have city views to accomplish what you want. There are plenty of opportunities to go be at the lake or see the city.

First off, NCP is very far from downtown - your views of the skyline will be very distant, not the dream you are expecting. You could live within a mile of the lake, in the gorgeous and very safe neighborhood of Andersonville. You're looking at a 10-15 minute car ride from there to school. You'd be close to the lake, quick access to Foster or Montrose Beach.

Living in a high rise with skyline views will put you several miles and probably minimum 30 minutes from the school.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I would either live in a convenient spot to the school, or stay put. There is no need to live on the lake or have city views to accomplish what you want. There are plenty of opportunities to go be at the lake or see the city.

First off, NCP is very far from downtown - your views of the skyline will be very distant, not the dream you are expecting. You could live within a mile of the lake, in the gorgeous and very safe neighborhood of Andersonville. You're looking at a 10-15 minute car ride from there to school. You'd be close to the lake, quick access to Foster or Montrose Beach.

Living in a high rise with skyline views will put you several miles and probably minimum 30 minutes from the school.
Roger that.. completely aligned. More research and landing on Ravenswood Manor, Lincoln Square, North Center so far.

I believe commute to city isn't that convenient from Andersonville But will check again.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:36 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Based strictly on proximity to the school and the local neighborhoods surrounding it, I would vote Lincoln Square. It's by far one of my favorite neighborhoods, especially for families. Lots of great little shops and restaurants in the downtown triangle of Western & Lawrence. It's a really pretty area.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:37 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Based strictly on proximity to the school and the local neighborhoods surrounding it, I would vote Lincoln Square. It's by far one of my favorite neighborhoods, especially for families. Lots of great little shops and restaurants in the downtown triangle of Western & Lawrence. It's a really pretty area.
I live in LS - it is indeed a good neighborhood. If you do live there, be east of Western Ave. Night and day difference, IMO, in safety/charm. Ravenswood Gardens is a nice spot to live in a more suburban-like feel, but it's a little too close to Albany Park for my liking.

North Center is also a good choice. Probably one of the 3 or 4 safest spots in Chicago.

OP, didn't realize you needed to commute downtown. Yes, Andersonville, unless you live several blocks east of the main strip on Clark, isn't convenient for commuting. It depends on how important proximity to the Lake is.

We live near Damen/Lawrence. It's a 10 minute drive to Montrose Beach. We usually head over there 2-3 times a year.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I live in LS - it is indeed a good neighborhood. If you do live there, be east of Western Ave. Night and day difference, IMO, in safety/charm. Ravenswood Gardens is a nice spot to live in a more suburban-like feel, but it's a little too close to Albany Park for my liking.

North Center is also a good choice. Probably one of the 3 or 4 safest spots in Chicago.

OP, didn't realize you needed to commute downtown. Yes, Andersonville, unless you live several blocks east of the main strip on Clark, isn't convenient for commuting. It depends on how important proximity to the Lake is.

We live near Damen/Lawrence. It's a 10 minute drive to Montrose Beach. We usually head over there 2-3 times a year.
Thank you! you said something very interesting... " Albany Park for my liking." May I please ask WHY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago