Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,645 times

Advertisements

We are currently traveling to Chicago several times a month for work and dance training. We are looking to move to Chicago from a small town in Michigan this summer. We have an academically talented high schooler and an artistically talented middle schooler. What schools would you recommend or avoid? We can not afford private school. We are open to living just about anywhere as long as it is safe and within an hour of the Ravenswood area where my daughter dances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 12:10 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Jefferson Park has Taft Highschool. That's a very good public school.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:24 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Chicago generally has only two levels of schools— K-8 and high school. There are only a handful of middle schools. From what I know from family in Chicago there are several decent zoned K-8 schools in more affluent neighborhoods, especially between the South Loop up to Evanston. But all high schools are by application, with some also needing an exam or audition. In general, the zoned high schools don’t have the best reputations. The high school admissions process is nerve-wracking and intense for native Chicagoans, so I’d guess is that it would be ten times worse for a new arrival. Maybe a Chicagoan can add how that process works for newcomers.

To avoid that stress and the seemingly endless turmoil of the city school system, you might consider some close-in suburb like Evanston. High school is the point when some families leave the city — just as they do here in New York and many other big cities.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:40 AM

273 posts, read 155,070 times
I would recommend the north suburbs like Wilmette over the city. CPS has some good schools but more mediocre and lousy schools.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:17 AM

74 posts, read 67,208 times
If you care about schools you don't use CPS. There's a handful of selective enrollment schools that are good but the general consensus is "if my kid doesn't test into the selective enrollments then we'll move".

Old 03-14-2022, 11:59 AM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdw4995 View Post
We are currently traveling to Chicago several times a month for work and dance training. ....
I'm such a lousy dancer it took me three lessons to learn the Texas Two Step.

Schools are neither good nor bad..The students that go there are good or bad....If you insist that schools make the difference, then suburban &/or private is the way to go....Getting to and from a Chi PS is the real problem.

As mentioned above, Taft on the far NW side is practically a suburban setting, as is the Chi HS for Ag Sci on the far SW side---but I think for fine arts, they only teach square dancing, clogging and yodelling there.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:14 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Your budget will really dictate the possible answers here. Only needing to be an hour from Ravenswood means you could totally move to a place like the North Shore suburbs, or Skokie and be easily within that hour.

I live in Ravenswood and we get to Skokie in 15-20 minutes. Thus, you could go even further out if that better suits your budget.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:22 PM

273 posts, read 155,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I'm such a lousy dancer it took me three lessons to learn the Texas Two Step.

Schools are neither good nor bad..The students that go there are good or bad....If you insist that schools make the difference,
Yes there indeed are lousy schools with teachers who either cannot or will not maintain a conducive educational environment, are not very good at teaching but cannot be fired because of the union and tenure, are not psychologically suited to be teachers or have personality disorders that require treatment before they would succeed in any professional environment etc.

I went to a bad middle school and borderline elementary and the teachers and environment there had a very negative impact on my education to the point that I failed classes and had stress related ailments (IBS). I was fortunate that my high school district was better run and I thrived, graduated with honors, and went on to do very well in college.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:23 PM

552 posts, read 407,565 times
There are great public schools within the city despite everyone suggesting that you should move to the suburbs. You can look into Lincoln Park, Jones College Prep, Lane Tech, Whitney Young, Walter Payton CP, Northside etc.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:10 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
I recommend that whatever area you're looking at, you check out the Illinois State Board of Education for school ratings.

https://www.isbe.net/Pages/IL-Report-Card.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago