Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 09:41 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Last few posts have been sobering. But thanks nonetheless. Cheers
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 10:08 AM

188 posts, read 209,619 times
Honestly, you don’t want to be in CPS. Everyone I know in CPS has either moved to the burbs or put their kids in private schools.

Across the country, I am sure the school ratings will drop at least a point next year as everyone tries to play catch up. So, I would target a 9/10 school and not drop to a 7.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:49 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
I have three kids in CPS. It's not hard to find a good elementary school, but High School is a different story. I have two kids in High School now and we are happy but the process sucks.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:52 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have three kids in CPS. It's not hard to find a good elementary school, but High School is a different story. I have two kids in High School now and we are happy but the process sucks.
It IS hard to find a good elementary school after Kindergarten unless you move into a decent neighborhood school boundary. For Kindergarten, every magnet/selective enrollment school has all slots available. After that, only a few come available in the successive grades each year. The OP hasn't said whether his kids are already school-aged or not -- that makes a huge difference in the cost/risk calculation.

Last edited by Bitey; 06-08-2021 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-08-2021, 01:09 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Maybe I am missing something, but OP said in their initial post that solid schools and safety were most important. And they have a $600K to $850K budget for a three bedroom house. They could move to say Norwood Park or Edison Park and have their kids go to Onahan/Garvy/Oriole Park/Hitch and then on to Taft. Decent schools by Chicago standards and a pretty safe area to raise a family. But with a budget up to $850K with schools of utmost importance, there is no reason to settle for decent by Chicago standards. That budget could get them into the best schools in the state like Stevenson, Deerfield, Libertyville, New Trier and their outstanding feeder schools. It was quite a while ago, but I grew up in Norwood Park and went to Garvy and Taft. I was always told what great schools they were, and as far as Chicago was concerned, they were. But after expanding my horizons after HS, it became clear that even just run of the mill suburban schools were far better as far as academic and other opportunities. I don't think that has changed much. To me, with schools and safety being most important and that kind of budget, there really is only one option. Move into one of the many great school districts in the suburbs. There are so many choices from more urban to more rural and everything in between far better than all but the selective enrollment schools in the city. Or as mentioned above, live in the city and go private ($$$$) or Catholic ($$).

Old 06-08-2021, 01:10 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It IS hard to find a good elementary school after Kindergarten unless you move into a decent neighborhood school boundary. For Kindergarten, every magnet/selective enrollment school has all slots available. After that, only a few come available in the successive grades each year. The OP hasn't said whether his kids are already school-aged or not -- that makes a huge difference in the cost/risk calculation.
We agree, it's not hard to find a good elementary school. Just move into the boundary of one, there are a lot of them.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but OP said in their initial post that solid schools and safety were most important. And they have a $600K to $850K budget for a three bedroom house. They could move to say Norwood Park or Edison Park and have their kids go to Onahan/Garvy/Oriole Park/Hitch and then on to Taft. Decent schools by Chicago standards and a pretty safe area to raise a family. But with a budget up to $850K with schools of utmost importance, there is no reason to settle for decent by Chicago standards. That budget could get them into the best schools in the state like Stevenson, Deerfield, Libertyville, New Trier and their outstanding feeder schools. It was quite a while ago, but I grew up in Norwood Park and went to Garvy and Taft. I was always told what great schools they were, and as far as Chicago was concerned, they were. But after expanding my horizons after HS, it became clear that even just run of the mill suburban schools were far better as far as academic and other opportunities. I don't think that has changed much. To me, with schools and safety being most important and that kind of budget, there really is only one option. Move into one of the many great school districts in the suburbs. There are so many choices from more urban to more rural and everything in between far better than all but the selective enrollment schools in the city. Or as mentioned above, live in the city and go private ($$$$) or Catholic ($$).
I am leaning towards heeding your advice. I probably can't live in the city and go private while remaining fiscally solvent. Or I don't want to honestly as that may mean I have to drive the kids to a distant place for school.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:11 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Completely agree. This is what I mentioned. Chicagoland has some of the best and most diverse and beautiful collection of suburbs in the nation. With great schools and easy access to the city without having to worry about schools, safety, and providing access to lots of greenery and nature. The Metra can easily get you into the city for all the amenities of city life.

If you want to be in a border suburb close to the city, with that budget, you could look at a pretty nice home in Evanston or Skokie, and technical be in the suburbs with better schools and less safety concerns, but be in a quasi-Chicago neighborhood that directly borders the city and still feels like Chicago.

To the OP- is your job mobile (through teleworking) or does your current job have an office in Chicago? Or are you just wanting to find a job here so you can move here (if your in a profession like healthcare-related where you can move almost anywhere)? Depending on whether you will be going to an office and where that will be within Chicagoland will have a huge impact on where you want to live. Unless you can telework full time and live anywhere, commutes can be brutal (pre-Covid times). It's already tangibly started to uptick in terms of commuting traffic and things are starting to get back to normal. By the time you move, it will probably be similar to pre pandemic times, which is pretty bad commuting-wise. Although if you have a hybrid schedule and only have to physically be in the office 2 days or so, a long commute may be bearable.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:56 PM

606 posts, read 354,696 times
How old are your kids and how many do you have, OP? There are definitely a number of good neighborhood elementary schools in north side neighborhoods, like a poster above me with kids in CPS said. The west loop also has a good neighbor school as well as some 3 bedroom places in your range, but you’ll probably be looking at a condo or an older townhome. $1000 assessments can be pretty common in some older condo buildings, but that is anomaly in a townhouse community.

Start with the CPS School Locatorhttp://https://schoolinfo.cps.edu/sc...tor/index.html. It will show you attendance boundaries.

Level 1+ is the highest and then it goes down to Level 1, and so on and so forth. I would try to stick with Level 1 and 1+ schools.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
How old are your kids and how many do you have, OP? There are definitely a number of good neighborhood elementary schools in north side neighborhoods, like a poster above me with kids in CPS said. The west loop also has a good neighbor school as well as some 3 bedroom places in your range, but you’ll probably be looking at a condo or an older townhome. $1000 assessments can be pretty common in some older condo buildings, but that is anomaly in a townhouse community.

Start with the CPS School Locatorhttp://https://schoolinfo.cps.edu/sc...tor/index.html. It will show you attendance boundaries.

Level 1+ is the highest and then it goes down to Level 1, and so on and so forth. I would try to stick with Level 1 and 1+ schools.
Two kids. One would be in 4th or 5th grade when we make the move. The other in college. Sounds like the odds would be stacked against a decent city move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago