Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
By the way, I have heard of a couple of enclaves practicing artists in Berwyn and Forest Park, but neither of these places is know for an "artsy" scene.
If you mean young Emos writing bad poetry in the parks and drinking coffee in the cafes looking morose and vaguely ironic then no, there's no artsy scene in Berwyn (or Forest Park either). But there is a large contingent of professional musicians, artists and actors who live in Berwyn, and there's a Berwyn Arts Council by which they network. Of course, as our OP is 18 years old, he may indeed be best off in more urban digs. Pilsen would be a good choice, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 15,007 times
thanks for all of the replies, im definitely going to do more research on Pilsen since a lot of people seemed to recommend it for me. Finding a place in my price range in Wickerpark/Bucktown area seems like it's not going to happen, from the apartment finding sites ive looked up, and im not really interested in being around a bunch of stereotypical hipsters anyways. I'll definitely be looking into Pilsen and Ukrainian Village more.

Also, someone suggested Pittsburgh. I'm not interested in moving there, I don't really like the city that much in general. Also, I have family and friends in Chicago, and none in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by AaronSpencer; 01-10-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Try to contact this place in Edgewater:
Artist In Residence Apartments
6165 N Winthrop Ave
Chicago, IL 60660
(773) 743-8900

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent | ARTIST IN RESIDENCE,
wow, i'm definitely interested in living in an artist residence, but i hadn't been able to find any. THANKS!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 PM

161 posts, read 411,874 times
Default commune

This might sound like I am joking, but I am really not. There are artist communes in Chicago. When my wife and I first came 8 years ago, we were young too and we actually visited one on our apartment search visit. It was actually a really large place, and quite nice for the money, with cool people (artists naturally are cool, mostly) and cheap. The only thing that was grating on my mind at the time with that was all of the rules of living, and just then having to be so dependent on other people's lifestyle. They literally have dinner every night and take turns making it, and everyone has chores... Anyhow, with your profile I think you should try to find one of these artist communes, make sure to go with the most expensive one you can find and afford if you do though...

[quote=Avengerfire;6893000]Try to contact this place in Edgewater:
Artist In Residence Apartments
6165 N Winthrop Ave
Chicago, IL 60660

Old 01-10-2009, 10:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveLoganSquare View Post
This might sound like I am joking, but I am really not. There are artist communes in Chicago. When my wife and I first came 8 years ago, we were young too and we actually visited one on our apartment search visit. It was actually a really large place, and quite nice for the money, with cool people (artists naturally are cool, mostly) and cheap. The only thing that was grating on my mind at the time with that was all of the rules of living, and just then having to be so dependent on other people's lifestyle. They literally have dinner every night and take turns making it, and everyone has chores... Anyhow, with your profile I think you should try to find one of these artist communes, make sure to go with the most expensive one you can find and afford if you do though...
those sound like co-ops (co-op, commune, whatever, same difference, I've always called them co-ops). there are quite a few in Pilsen that I've seen. I also think there's a large co-op w/ several individual houses in Hyde Park. I thought about living in one, but most seem to be vegan/vegetarian (a few specifically stated in their ads no meat in the house) and my schedule doesn't allow for nightly dinners around the table (w/ some co-ops, you have to be willing to cook a dinner every few days). I agree w/ the number of rules some have. if you're new to the area and can deal w/ the rules, it sounds like a great arrangement, esp. if you're living w/ like-minded people.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
those sound like co-ops (co-op, commune, whatever, same difference, I've always called them co-ops). there are quite a few in Pilsen that I've seen. I also think there's a large co-op w/ several individual houses in Hyde Park. I thought about living in one, but most seem to be vegan/vegetarian (a few specifically stated in their ads no meat in the house) and my schedule doesn't allow for nightly dinners around the table (w/ some co-ops, you have to be willing to cook a dinner every few days). I agree w/ the number of rules some have. if you're new to the area and can deal w/ the rules, it sounds like a great arrangement, esp. if you're living w/ like-minded people.
ohh, thats interesting. i'm actually a vegan myself hahah, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. wow, i had no idea that they have things like this in Chicago, I'm definitely going to be checking out the place in Edgewater, I looked up some stuff on it and it sounds perfect for me. Thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM
awu

2 posts, read 4,886 times
Default Young artist pondering Chicago.

I'm thinking about moving to Chicago in two years, after I graduate from my Baltimore art school, despite the fact that I've never been there before. Yes, yes, it's strange, but that's why I want to do the research early. I'm hoping to visit soon, but I want a bit more information before I pick out what I need to see/do. Here are some various points about my location needs. Would Chicago be good for someone like me? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Public transportation is really important to me. How's the subway/bus system there? I love New York and, to some extent, DC's metro because they are well-organized and safe (I feel). Baltimore's subway system makes me a little nervous because it's super-sketchy but I like the Light Rail, MARC train and the bus system. Is Chicago's public transport -- specifically the subway -- popular/reliable?

I've lived in a Floridian suburb for most of my life. There, it was impossible to get around without a car because there's nothing but trees, schools, and houses for a good five mile radius. I enjoy going to school in Baltimore because I can get around without a car and if I'm bored, I can walk for a few minutes and stumble across something interesting. I also liked this about NYC. Anyway, is everything mixed up enough that it's easy to find fun things to do near most neighborhoods? Like, within walking distance? Or are business and residential areas and the hustle and the bustle pretty separate for the most part (see: central Florida and parts of DC)?

Since I will be working mainly as a freelance illustrator and will be working mainly from my home/studio, there's no specific area I really NEED to be. Would it be cheaper to live in a suburb and take public transit to the city, or would living like that drive a creative-type crazy? I'm extremely interested in studying at an improv institution (Second City and the like), so maybe something around that area would be nice. The most important thing for me -- apart from cost, because, again, I will be a freelance illustrator and mostly living off Ramen and carrot sticks -- is to be surrounded by nice, creative people. I'm not big on partying so a nightlife isn't super-important to me, but I still like how Manhattan has people buzzing about and doing things until the wee hours of the morning. [Sorry for all the Manhattan comparisons; I haven't been to many other big cities!] With these needs, what are some safe (will probably be living alone) neighborhoods to check out? Less than $800 would be ideal but I'm open to hearing about other places.

What's the art scene like in Chicago? Are there a lot of illustrator and graphic designer types or is it mostly fine art (sculpture, painting, etc.)? There's a distinct difference in attitude between those two types. I also like museums and performing art venues.

And a final random point: Is there any semblance of a Chinatown? If so, how is it? The one in DC is more like "China-block" and it'd be nice to have something a wee bit more substantial, though it's not necessary.

Sorry for any incoherent parts. I know that's a lot to process, but I'm having difficulty verbally processing all the curiosity I have for Chicago. Again, any help or recommendations on where I should start on my visit would be appreciated. Thank you!

-- And yes, I've dug through the forum archives for any relevant topics before creating this post.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:36 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
this thread touches upon similar questions:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...t-chicago.html

Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
this thread touches upon similar questions:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...t-chicago.html
(For the OP)

Try these threads as well:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ives-live.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...musicians.html

Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Ukrainian Village, East Ukrainian Village,parts of Edgewater, parts of Uptown, and West Town would be among the top choices if I was going to plunge back in the scene, but yet still have an affordable place .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago