Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 12:37 PM

8,113 posts, read 10,198,140 times

Advertisements

"I believed we were going to die": Chicago elevator plunges 84 floors

I used to ride the elevators....express to 78.....in the World Trade Center in NYC. Never a day went past that the thought about whether that thing, which rattled like a rail car, would let go and hit bottom at the speed of gravity. We all used to kid ourselves...could we jump, just before the bottom, and avoid the slam into the concrete bottom?

No you can't jump. No you can't figure out where you are and how close the bottom is, and no you won't live if that thing hits bottom. These people in Chicago apparently thought the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 05:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 785,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
"I believed we were going to die": Chicago elevator plunges 84 floors

I used to ride the elevators....express to 78.....in the World Trade Center in NYC. Never a day went past that the thought about whether that thing, which rattled like a rail car, would let go and hit bottom at the speed of gravity. We all used to kid ourselves...could we jump, just before the bottom, and avoid the slam into the concrete bottom?

No you can't jump. No you can't figure out where you are and how close the bottom is, and no you won't live if that thing hits bottom. These people in Chicago apparently thought the same thing.
I have had nightmares where this would happen!

Old 11-19-2018, 05:12 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,329,952 times
Don't they have some sort of mechanical brake that would slow the car down the last 40-50 floors?

If not, maybe they should.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:56 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,447,241 times
What a terrifying thought.

They don't describe much of what it felt like in the elevator. Did it come to a sudden, traumatic halt? Did the passengers fall inside the elevator? The article makes it sound like they barely noticed anything wrong!

Old 11-19-2018, 11:04 PM

92 posts, read 59,361 times
There are safety measures in place, an automatic brake at the top of the shaft and one at the bottom with a shock absorber on the basement floor. The wife was in an elevator mishap while working at a hospital in 2003. Management had disregarded all of the workers' complaints about the elevator not working properly. My wife and five workers were entering the elevator when it violently lurched upward with the doors open, pinning a female coworker between the floors killing her instantly. Typical management fashion tried to blame the workers of doing something wrong. The ensuing lawsuits cost them millions of dollars, untold misery to the survivors and their families just to save a few dollar by not properly maintaining their equipment. The wife and I view all elevators with suspicion now.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:28 AM

10,260 posts, read 21,881,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Don't they have some sort of mechanical brake that would slow the car down the last 40-50 floors?
They do have an automatic brake to prevent the car falling, I think that brake was the key to Otis’s patent and the subsequent widespread use of the modern elevator.

I wonder if this elevator in question actually “plunged” down as in free fall or if it just kind’a slid down, with the brake not fully engaged, know what I mean?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:05 PM

13,019 posts, read 19,041,902 times
Elevators in high rises are moved by 6 to 8 cables, each capable of supporting the cab. If one breaks the elevator, deprived of the counterweight of the cable, would start falling. I believe the brakes engage on high speed. Yes, there is a shock absorber at the bottom as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: