Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

I lived near there for years, it's not exactly dangerous for a normal citizen going about their own business, you'll probably be fine - but it did get frustrating seeing the crap that went on around you. It just wore on me a bit, like CAN'T WE ALL JUST ACT LIKE ADULTS.

Most of the criminal activity there is criminals targeting other criminals and not caring at all about you who happen to be there (along with the other 95% of people who are just normal citizens).
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 AM

410 posts, read 633,882 times
I'm going to disagree with the poster who said it is particularly sketchy west of Broadway. It's quite the contrary with the section east of Wilson visibly sketchier than west of Broadway. West of Broadway is actually very visually appealing with tree lined streets, well kept buildings, and a general sense of cleanliness.

OP, I actually looked at 4607 N Sheridan as well in my search for a new apartment. Great building, good location right under a 24 hour grocery and near a lot of fast food and the red line(also a smoke shop I frequent). However, what stopped me from leasing was the somewhat dilapidated conditions of the area. I'm all for grit, but the existence of SFO's, low income housing, and mental institutions are in high concentration in the area. This gives the location a skid row feeling. On my walk back to the red line, I was greeted by 3 panhandlers, one of which was missing a limb. These are all normal things in urban cities, but on the highly desirable north side, there was simply much better value and living conditions in other neighborhoods for an affordable price. I ended up moving to the 4700 block of N Malden st about 5 minutes and 7 minutes from the Lawrence and Wilson red line.

My personal suggestion for the area: if you are living near Wilson, seek properties west of Broadway where you won't encounter undesirables that tend to hang around the eastern section of broadway. If you are going to expand your search to other parts of uptown, the area around Lawrence is quite nice with close proximity to things like nightlife, groceries(marianos on Lawrence and Ravenswood), and an array of ethnic restaurants. Another option would be around Argyle, in the heart of the Vietnamese part of town. Lots of commerce and activity in this area.

In conclusion, the move is up to you. The area is not particularly dangerous to me. I feel more unsafe in Pilsen and the United Center neighborhood than I do around Wilson. I simply just don't want to have to deal with the things that come with living there on a daily basis. But I frequent the sonic Wilson, the smoke shop on Broadway, and the Target nearby. There is no problem with that part of town. Best of luck!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,352 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it definitely helped me a lot to take a final decision. I will look towards south of Sheridan Rd, most likely in Lakeview.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:03 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkankan View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it definitely helped me a lot to take a final decision. I will look towards south of Sheridan Rd, most likely in Lakeview.
That's unfortunate. All my best.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:56 AM

92 posts, read 160,751 times
To me, Wilson and Sheridan is more gross and dirty than it is dangerous for the average citizen.
Yes, there is an occasional shooting due to gang activity but I've lived in Sheridan Park off of Wilson west of Broadway for ten years. Once you get west of Racine, Wilson is rather pleasant and so are the side streets. The 4600 block of north Magnolia is gorgeous.

When I read cwbchicago.com I am glad I live in Uptown and not Lakeview.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong Chicagoan View Post
To me, Wilson and Sheridan is more gross and dirty than it is dangerous for the average citizen.
Yes, there is an occasional shooting due to gang activity but I've lived in Sheridan Park off of Wilson west of Broadway for ten years. Once you get west of Racine, Wilson is rather pleasant and so are the side streets. The 4600 block of north Magnolia is gorgeous.

When I read cwbchicago.com I am glad I live in Uptown and not Lakeview.
But Magnollia seems to be where the shootings are. One two weeks ago and I read there have been others there in recent years

Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I'd pick Buena Park, rather than Uptown. Buena Park between Irving and Montrose.. closer to Irving though.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:38 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Sheridan/Wilson is not great. That's because of the tremendous concentration of social services within a few blocks, thanks to the odious former Alderwoman, Helen Shiller. I'm sure she profited handsomely from them while ruining a beautiful part of the city.

Some nearby parts of Uptown are nice, but I'd want to live at least three or four blocks from the epicenter of the problem, which is the Wilson/Broadway "L" station.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:05 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Sheridan/Wilson is not great. That's because of the tremendous concentration of social services within a few blocks, thanks to the odious former Alderwoman, Helen Shiller. I'm sure she profited handsomely from them while ruining a beautiful part of the city.

Some nearby parts of Uptown are nice, but I'd want to live at least three or four blocks from the epicenter of the problem, which is the Wilson/Broadway "L" station.
Isn't the Wilson/Broadway station being completely replaced and/or refurbished? And I recall that, by the time I moved away in August 2015, quite a few interesting shops and restaurants were opening on Wilson Avenue immediately west of the "L". The area looked like it was revitalizing to me, and it appears that started taking off after the new Target opened. Just my perception anyway.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:51 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
CAN'T WE ALL JUST ACT LIKE ADULTS.
Because mental illness. For most of these individuals, every imaginable treatment has been tried at public expense. We just don't know how to treat many of these disorders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago