Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago is more like...
Philly, NYC, and Boston 139 76.37%
Indianapolis, Columbus, and Kansas City 43 23.63%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 08:20 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,076,348 times

Advertisements

Eh. Nowadays I am firmly convinced Chicago is a quintessential Midwestern city that could arguably even be moved to where Indianapolis is and nobody would think it is an outlier.

Maybe growing up it was more of an outlier but now I wouldn't even say that Chicago is specifically a Great Lakes city as opposed to a quintessential Midwestern one. I feel no different in Chicago now than I did when I was Indy a few weeks back. Things have definitely changed. Or maybe gone back to normal who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 11:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,901,754 times
Chicago is definitely more like the Northeast cities.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:04 AM

29 posts, read 17,349 times
Neither. And since when is Kansas City one of the three biggest non-Chicago Midwest cities?

Old 09-09-2018, 09:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,943,123 times
Chicago has more "personal space" than Eastern cities. The streets are wider, and the homes within city limits have more separation (i.e lawns) than urban areas of the Northeast. The reconstruction of Chicago after the Great Fire of 1871, and the development of the Bungalow Belt, definitely contributed to all this..

Old 09-09-2018, 05:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,856,332 times
Chicago, I think, has a strong connection with Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. These four cities were the epicenters of the urbanization, industrialization, and immigration that took place after the Civil War and up to World War I. They were the four at the forefront of so much of what shaped our cities during those years: from Boston igniting the first US subway, New York developing in Central Park the concept of open public space in our cities, Chicago's Hull House setting the way for settlement houses in immigrant neighborhoods, Philadelphia being one of the first three US cities to go over a million in population (NY, Chgo being the other two). I taught US history at the middle school level and these four cities were the ones most seen as the laboratories for our growing cities.

i would say on the basis of the type of urbanization and density as the common era (again basically the second half of the 19th century) in which they developed true urbanization, the only two cities outside the northeast corridor that truly fits in with the type of cities along that line are Chicago and San Francisco.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:19 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,763,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Chicago, I think, has a strong connection with Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. These four cities were the epicenters of the urbanization, industrialization, and immigration that took place after the Civil War and up to World War I. They were the four at the forefront of so much of what shaped our cities during those years: from Boston igniting the first US subway, New York developing in Central Park the concept of open public space in our cities, Chicago's Hull House setting the way for settlement houses in immigrant neighborhoods, Philadelphia being one of the first three US cities to go over a million in population (NY, Chgo being the other two). I taught US history at the middle school level and these four cities were the ones most seen as the laboratories for our growing cities.

i would say on the basis of the type of urbanization and density as the common era (again basically the second half of the 19th century) in which they developed true urbanization, the only two cities outside the northeast corridor that truly fits in with the type of cities along that line are Chicago and San Francisco.
I would exclude Boston since their downtown area doesnt stand out that much compared to philly and new york

Old 09-22-2018, 12:17 AM

29 posts, read 17,349 times
If you were to change the Midwestern cities to, say, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and St. Louis (or possibly even Detroit), then I might see the similarities with Chicago in terms of history as major shipping ports, immigration patterns, architecture, infrastructure, etc. Kansas City arguably has something similar to that on a smaller scale, but Indianapolis and Columbus do not, IMO.

In other words, the Great Lakes cities and major river port cities have certain historical ties to east coast cities that other Midwestern cities do not have.

Or, if you prefer, think of the cities that had major league baseball teams before 1950 as a rough indicator.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 AM

54 posts, read 33,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yes. We all know that Chicago is just a big brother of the Great Lakes/Rust Belt cities. But those are deliberately left off because that answer is too easy.
So your question is "How does Chicago compare to other cities, not including the ones to which it clearly compares?"?

How does North America compare to other continents, not including the ones on Earth?

How does China compare to other countries, not including the ones that are large, or powerful, or run by a single party system?

Bizarre hypotheticals, man.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Just going by size man. Not influence. That's it. Size of city not metro.
I'm curious, do you have a source showing Kansas City, MO (the larger of the two KCs, since you're not looking at metro areas) to be one of the three largest cities in the Midwest? I can't find one where it even comes close.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
People like to think that Chicago and New York have very few structural similarities. But honestly, I think that has been hugely blown out of proportion. Here are pics of Chicago and New York neighborhoods that look almost identical. These aren't trendy, strip mall Americana built up in the 21st century places.
Very well illustrated, and good points. I tried to give you rep points, but apparently I need to "spread it around" beyond the 20 or 30 people I've repped so far before I'm allowed to rep you again? Confusing.

There are about an equal amount of Chicago to New York pictures. If you can figure out which city is which (outside of the obvious ones with the street signs and traffic lights) , you know both cities well.

If you took someone who had never been to either city, blindfolded them and magically transported them to the other within the same day, they most likely wouldn't know they even changed cities.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago