Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 03:06 PM

796 posts, read 931,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Out of curiosity, you once stated you wouldn't want to live southeast of 61st/Cottage Grove. What areas in the West side would you say the same for?
I wouldn't consider living in lawndale or north lawndale. nor west garfield park, and most of austin outside of galewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 03:36 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,105,917 times
^ Hah okay, I guess that means East Garfield Park is the safest place to live on the West side. Sounds believable.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:16 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
^ Hah okay, I guess that means East Garfield Park is the safest place to live on the West side. Sounds believable.
Actually, EGP isn't that bad. Yes, it has tons of problems, but it is also full of hipsters, homesteaders, artists, and students (and goats, a surprising number of goats). I live in the part of EGP that's south of Madison, which is where things get very dicey, but the parts between Lake and Franklin aren't as bad, at least east of Kedzie.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Actually, EGP isn't that bad. Yes, it has tons of problems, but it is also full of hipsters, homesteaders, artists, and students (and goats, a surprising number of goats). I live in the part of EGP that's south of Madison, which is where things get very dicey, but the parts between Lake and Franklin aren't as bad, at least east of Kedzie.
thats by the conservatory right?

Old 08-29-2016, 06:47 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
I don't even know why we still talk about it as a society. You have exactly two choices to actually do something, neither of which is going to happen:

1) Get rid of all the guns.

2) Institute some kind of paramilitary overseeing force in extremely high crime areas and leave them there, e.g., the Iraq surge.

Short of solutions this extreme we are just p***in' in the wind, which is exactly what we are all going to be doing for the rest of our lives.

The political climate is literally the exact opposite in both directions of what it would need to be to actually do anything.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I don't even know why we still talk about it as a society. You have exactly two choices to actually do something, neither of which is going to happen:

1) Get rid of all the guns.

2) Institute some kind of paramilitary overseeing force in extremely high crime areas and leave them there, e.g., the Iraq surge.

Short of solutions this extreme we are just p***in' in the wind, which is exactly what we are all going to be doing for the rest of our lives.

The political climate is literally the exact opposite in both directions of what it would need to be to actually do anything.
having US military presence in the middle east hasn't really helped in the last 10+ years we've been over there. what makes you think that would work domestically?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:29 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
I think jonnynonos is mostly correct beaniemac. While a paramilitary force by itself would not totally solve the problem, it's a step in the right direction. IMO, solving the problem would require many things our society would never allow. A combination of;

* A Paramilitary force and renewed respect for our current police force.

* Tight border control to minimize the flow of illegal drugs, money, guns and illegal immigrants.

* The legalization of most drugs (to reduce the gangs source of income and their motivation to kill each other over turf/$$$).

* Barbaric penalties for gang related crimes.

* Increased focus on education, discipline and real job opportunities for inner city youth.

and on and on.... but we as a society are not ready for most of these options so as jonnynonos said, we'll just keep pi**ing in the wind while the body count increases.

The thing is, most of us have become desensitized to these shootings. We hear on the news that another ~100 people were shot last week and we shrug our shoulders and say, oh well, it is what it is... If the number increased to 500 or 1,000 shot last week, I don't think anyone would really care at this point. We'll just have more ramblings about gun control, some candlelight vigils with sad speeches and then we move on to the next day of "more of the same".

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-29-2016 at 10:38 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 11:02 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
I don't view guns as the main problem. It's more about people's attitudes towards guns. Too many of these guys connect guns to a feeling of power and their self esteem. They need to be taught others ways of gaining power in their lives.

Listen to what this kid says at 5:45 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdSDAxO-ITM

Old 08-30-2016, 05:12 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
having US military presence in the middle east hasn't really helped in the last 10+ years we've been over there. what makes you think that would work domestically?
Actually the surge worked brilliantly until we started pulling troops out.

Anyway, if you don't believe that behavior can be controlled and altered through an overwhelming military force, there is a book I would recommend. It's called THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD by JM Roberts.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:11 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,863,366 times
Gulag style work camps if you get caught with an illegal gun. Raise the cost to the criminal of crime. That would make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago