Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 85,806 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys! I have been into US, and directly into Chicago (& suburbs) 8 months back, and let me tell you, I totally love this place, and feel it has lot of character (truely enjoying my first experience here). But to share with you, I still feel myself a newbie and haven't learned many things yet. so greatly appreciate help from you natives (with whom I too want to be a part of, someday).

Especially coming to Driving rules. Actually till now somehow I could postpone getting a new license depending solely on trains or cabs (thank Chicago's great transportation facilities for that!), but now I find myself in need of one seriously. So studied all traffic rules well and went to the local DMV office and PASSED! Got a sweet white temporary permit card valid for one year!

But now comes the toughest part-- practically learning behind the wheel! For that I plan to take some professional driving classes until I am quite comfortable, but have to stop at that unfortunately due to my pocket. My best friend is ready to help provide his car (which is on his name) or at the least rent one on his name (since I do not get any due to temporary permit!), so I can practice more on that. He would indeed help me learn too. Now my serious question is---> is it legal (driving someone else's car without an actual DL)? or will I be ticketed for not having actual DL on my name?? Hate to see any such thing happen to me or my freind! How do you guys learn/practise driving here?---are classes the only option? Then how are people getting DLs well before they own a vehicle? Also I believe I must take my own vehicle to the Driver's test? How is it possible when I don't own a car now?? Please guys, help me out solve this puzzle (though may appear silly to you). Appreciate genuine responses very very much!

Last edited by Newbie2010; 01-23-2008 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
If you do not have a valid DL from a state in the U.S. or a learners permit(which might restrict you to driving with someone else in the car which I think is the law in Illinois now), yes you will be ticketed. If you get caught more than once you might even get arrested. I am not sure what you exactually are trying to state in your post though.

You cannot drive a rental car in someone elses name unless you are listed on the rental contract and have a DL.

You do not need your own car to take the driving test. You just need a car that covers you on the insurance. It can be someone elses car.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks very much Avengerfire for your prompt reply.

You mentioned that I should be covered by insurance for my friend's car. But IMHO you can't get an insurance on a car without an actual DL. Then How can I do it?

Actually my real question was:
If I can't get an insurance or rental or new car on my name with just a learner's permit, then how can I learn to drive? Are the driving school professional classes the only option? so everyone in Illinois learn only through them? can't a family person or friend help them learn? Please explain, though I might sound silly, I am not getting it at all!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I think the OP is saying they have a learner's permit, in which case you can drive your friend's car. I believe, he/she must also be in the car with you.

I wouldn't suggest a rental car though- they have trickier rules and I'm pretty sure you'd be breaking a few without a driver's license.

You can borrow a car for the driver's test - just make sure the car is insured for other drivers (most insurance is)

Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM

hi araqx6! thanks for understanding me!
so you mean to say I need not have insurance (of the car on which i will learn driving) on my name, like I understood from Avengerfire?
So what you were saying is that: A car must have insurance. whether its in your name or the owner doesnot matter. As long as I have the owner beside me, I can practice on his car, with my learner's permit. And that way I will not be breaking any rules. Am I right? please correct.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
My understanding is that with most insurance companies, an owners insurance covers other drivers, including permit drivers. I would suggest your friend call his/her insurance company to make sure, but I believe you should be fin, assuming he doesn't have the bottom of the barrel type of insurance.

But as I said, have your friend call the company who insures him/her and check.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:44 AM

79 posts, read 353,375 times
ok, having a learners permit means you can drive, but you cannot be in the car by yourself. you have to have someone with a valids drivers license be in the car with you. what the learners permit means is that you are learning to drive...meaning someone is always with you teaching you how to drive. no, you do not have to pay for driving classes, but you do have to practice driving. no, you cannot rent a car with just a learners permit because you need a drivers license to do this. your friend can rent a car, but you cannot drive it because you can only have people on it that have a drivers license. if you drive his car, that shouldnt be a problem. to my understanding his insurance will cover you if anything happens, but the limits depend on the company and plan. so it would be best for him to call and ask his insurance company. since you are new to driving, i would recommend driving in a suburb without much traffic because most people in chicago cant drive as it is

Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 PM

Thumbs up Great! thanks!

Wow! Thanks much Jiraiya! that was the exact thing I was looking for!
Thanks again to all you guys as well.

Now I can happily go learning with clear head! Greatly helpful forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago