Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 8,670 times

Advertisements

i am under contract for a two flat building that i intend to convert to a single family residence. the place used to be single family so it requires very little work in terms of conversion -- mainly removal of a couple of doors plus ripping out the upstairs kitchen and turning it into a bedroom. i'm struggling to figure out exactly what kind of permits we would need for this project and how to get the property classified properly. any advice would be appreciated. i will be consulting with an architect but i'm wary of having to get one involved if its not necessary ... as previously mentioned, there is no actual restructuring of the building required aside from converting a kitchen to a bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
An experienced contractor will know how to navigate the regulatory gauntlet. Now the trick is finding a reputable, experienced contractor. Not being in the property development or management business, I don't have any useful advice as to how to find one. Maybe that's where an architect can come in handy...

Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 AM

so you think i would need a contractor, even though the actual work required is minimal? I'd prefer to just find my own people to do the kitchen work, etc., as it would be cheaper than going through a GC. my real issue at this point is the permit process.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
The main permit type would be a Renovation/Alteration permit. Not sure how many other permits you need (if any).

If you follow this link and look up "Deconvert" once loaded, you'll see a large handful of them:
https://data.cityofchicago.org/resou...,street_number

Agreed with Drover though - general contractor should know these things. Even if you don't need one, you should talk to one about the permit process so the city doesn't find out sometime and deem it illegal.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-30-2015 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 09:42 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgabey View Post
i am under contract for a two flat building that i intend to convert to a single family residence. the place used to be single family so it requires very little work in terms of conversion -- mainly removal of a couple of doors plus ripping out the upstairs kitchen and turning it into a bedroom. i'm struggling to figure out exactly what kind of permits we would need for this project and how to get the property classified properly. any advice would be appreciated. i will be consulting with an architect but i'm wary of having to get one involved if its not necessary ... as previously mentioned, there is no actual restructuring of the building required aside from converting a kitchen to a bedroom.

If your project doesn't require a crane (which it doesn't sound like it does) or a dumpster on the curb/alley, I'd personally skip the permit process all together.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:34 AM

If you didn't go through the permit process -- how would you get the building use changed from multi-family to single family? (We need that for mortgage purposes..).

Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Assuming the home is used as your residence, I think a two flat is considered a single family for mortgage purposes.

Last edited by Vlajos; 06-30-2015 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default That is really bad idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
If your project doesn't require a crane (which it doesn't sound like it does) or a dumpster on the curb/alley, I'd personally skip the permit process all together.
The FACT is the City has a fairly large contingent of building inspectors. Regardless of how "minor" your renovations may be they can and have flagged work that is happening without a permit -- even things like decks / porches NEED to be reviewed.

If you do not have proper permits ahead of time you can be assessed FINES AND PENALITIES as well be subjected to ADDITIONAL ON-SITE inspections where ALL THE SYSTEMS can be found inadequate. Worst case, the inspectors REQUIRE you to redo major electrical / plumbings / HVAC / structure and PROHIBIT your occupancy until everything is compliant!

The links to the required permits will also require some documentation -- you can literally submit hand drawn sketches. You absolutely CAN "Do It Yourself" when it comes to MINOR removals of cabinets and such. Your request will likely get a quick review and then be approved as long as you stress that you are NOT connecting more to the plumbing or electrical system, just "downgrading". Having the permit AHEAD OF TIME is the smart way to go!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgabey View Post
If you didn't go through the permit process -- how would you get the building use changed from multi-family to single family? (We need that for mortgage purposes..).
if this is your main residence, it doesn't matter.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The FACT is the City has a fairly large contingent of building inspectors. Regardless of how "minor" your renovations may be they can and have flagged work that is happening without a permit -- even things like decks / porches NEED to be reviewed.

If you do not have proper permits ahead of time you can be assessed FINES AND PENALITIES as well be subjected to ADDITIONAL ON-SITE inspections where ALL THE SYSTEMS can be found inadequate. Worst case, the inspectors REQUIRE you to redo major electrical / plumbings / HVAC / structure and PROHIBIT your occupancy until everything is compliant!

The links to the required permits will also require some documentation -- you can literally submit hand drawn sketches. You absolutely CAN "Do It Yourself" when it comes to MINOR removals of cabinets and such. Your request will likely get a quick review and then be approved as long as you stress that you are NOT connecting more to the plumbing or electrical system, just "downgrading". Having the permit AHEAD OF TIME is the smart way to go!
Sure there is a risk, but as I said above, if there isn't a dumpster or crane, they should be ok. I've had roughly 30+ permit required jobs done over the past year, and have gotten permits only 3x (needed a crane all 3 times), de-converting a kitchen to a bedroom is very minor work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago