Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 01:47 PM

9 posts, read 10,934 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm picking up a friend and two small children (age 4 and 2) from O'Hare airport tomorrow; what is the best way to travel from the airport to the loop? They have a 9 hour layover (9:00 AM to 6:30 PM). Should I take the blue line or a taxi to the loop? Is there a flat fee for the taxi? How would much would it cost approximately? I usually take the blue line myself but I'm not sure if it's a good idea with the kids.

Is it better to pre-order a taxi to pick them up from the loop to take them back to the airport? I'm guessing they would return to the airport around 3:30 PM from the loop.

I plan to take them to Maggie Daley Park. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 02:05 PM

3,938 posts, read 6,855,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taromacaroon View Post
Hello,

I'm picking up a friend and two small children (age 4 and 2) from O'Hare airport tomorrow; what is the best way to travel from the airport to the loop? They have a 9 hour layover (9:00 AM to 6:30 PM). Should I take the blue line or a taxi to the loop? Is there a flat fee for the taxi? How would much would it cost approximately? I usually take the blue line myself but I'm not sure if it's a good idea with the kids.

Is it better to pre-order a taxi to pick them up from the loop to take them back to the airport? I'm guessing they would return to the airport around 3:30 PM from the loop.

I plan to take them to Maggie Daley Park. Thank you!
Are you picking them up at 9am? If so, I would take the blue line, it will be significantly cheaper and the fact that you are traveling RIGHT in the middle of rush hour means that the blue line will probably be faster as well.

Taxi's do have a flat fee from the loop to O'Hare. I believe its $40 or so but someone may correct me. Either way, I would do Blue Line since its a certain commute time.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:13 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,973,651 times
Taxi rates vary depending on the time you're in the car too - so if it's rush hour, then yeah. I take a cab from O'Hare to near the Loop pretty much every week and during rush hour, and I pay around $50 after tip each time for just me and my luggage.

Taking the Blue Line if it's bad rush hour will probably be a little faster than a taxi actually and also a good deal cheaper. I would also get some ear plugs because the train, when it goes into the subway not far from O'Hare can get pretty loud on that specific line.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:18 PM

9 posts, read 10,934 times
Ok- what is considered rush hour in Chicago? She is flying international and may not arrive until 10:00 AM after customs. What about in the afternoon- what is considered rush hour in the loop? Thank you!

Old 06-22-2015, 02:33 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
I am not a huge fan of kids on the CTA, especially when you have time deadlines, things just seem to go wrong... That said, since this a longish layover it might make sense to plan on using CTA one way and maybe Uber or a flat-fee limo / prearrange ride service for the other leg.

If the kids were a bit older and you were sure that they would gleefully bound into the El train, regardless of weather, and would not be cranky / sleepy/ pokey / bewildered maybe the El would be OK for both halves of the journey, but that seems overly optimistic. The CTA is REALLY LOUD and a two-year old (even a four year old) is young enough that they might be overwhelmed / stressed by the whole trip. That puts extra stress on parent. Even though it is mostly straightforward to get between Maggie Daley Park and the Blue Line, it seems prudent to plan on letting the kids get all tuckered out at the park and then using the ride on Uber or other service as a respite for parent as opposed to a potentially harrowing rush to the airport...

The only "plus" is that kids under 7 ride at no cost with fare paying adult so the CTA is much cheaper than even flat fee type service -- CTA Reduced Fare & Free Ride Programs (Seniors, Students, Children, etc.) Technically direct pick-ups at the airport via UberX are a no-no: Emanuel nixes Uber attempt to make airport pickups | Chicago

Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Ok- what is considered rush hour in Chicago? She is flying international and may not arrive until 10:00 AM after customs. What about in the afternoon- what is considered rush hour in the loop? Thank you!
If it's a long international flight, then taxi or a private car might be good too. You might be waiting in traffic but accommodations will be a little more comfortable. Will cost more but if that's not any concern and being in transit for 20-30 more minutes, possibly, isn't of concern then go with the cab/car. Since it's a layover and not that long, then maybe that 20-30 minutes might matter.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:52 PM

3,938 posts, read 6,855,867 times
Quote:
Rush hour will still exist after 10am. Plan on it being 45mins no matter what to downtown. Another 45 mins back. If you take the train it will probably be an hour.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:07 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,187,299 times
If they're landing at Terminal 5, then take a cab, otherwise you'll waste time taking the people mover from terminal 5 to terminal 2 and then making your way to the train. Assuming their departure is domestic, getting back to the airport via the Blue Line will be easier than getting downtown from Terminal 5 is. Also, for adults it's $5 each taking the train from O'Hare, but only $2.25 back, so you save some money doing your one-leg-transit in that order (not a lot, but some).

Old 06-22-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Rush hour will still exist after 10am. Plan on it being 45mins no matter what to downtown. Another 45 mins back. If you take the train it will probably be an hour.
And during bad rush hour, it will take over an hour.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:00 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,190,016 times
Quote:
I usually take the blue line myself but I'm not sure if it's a good idea with the kids.
Why? Seems like a worse idea to take them in a taxi without child seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: