Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:55 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I went there for lunch, I liked it a lot - although it was PACKED. The layout is a bit crowded, but I loved the sheer amount of food you could buy (not just to eat there, but the packaged grocery food that was very high quality and Italian). Tons of dining options, lots of meats and cheese, there were butcher and seafood stands to take fresh food home with you, mountains of wine, people drinking wine everywhere.

I'll certainly be back.
Eataly is on the 200 block of east Ohio or something, right? what used to be in that place, now that Eataly has taken over it.. i cant' picture where that place is. The news said River North, but that address ought to be Streeterville. right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
lol...place sucks
It caters to people who say "signage" instead of signs.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Eataly is on the 200 block of east Ohio or something, right? what used to be in that place, now that Eataly has taken over it.. i cant' picture where that place is. The news said River North, but that address ought to be Streeterville. right?
Former ESPN zone building. I always thought of West of Michigan ave as River North and east Streeterville.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Former ESPN zone building. I always thought of West of Michigan ave as River North and east Streeterville.
ah so thats where that is.. i heard it was a huge place and could not think of a place that big there that would have been available to turn into Eataly.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
I've been wishing they'd open up a Marche here in Chicago ever since I ate at the one in Toronto. I'm hoping that Eataly will offer at least a similar experience. I'm definitely going to wait a few weeks until they've got things running a little more smoothly.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I've been wishing they'd open up a Marche here in Chicago ever since I ate at the one in Toronto. I'm hoping that Eataly will offer at least a similar experience.

Oh my, I just loved Marche - worth another trip. They had several move-n-picks there.
When it comes to Italian, nothing can beat Caputos in Elmwood Park or little Nottolis on Harlem.

Marché Restaurants |

Old 12-07-2013, 07:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Maybe he can relocate it to Rosemont, they have all that space near that creepy warehouse of a mall...
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Rosemont is one strange land mass, where 4000 people live in a section kind of roped off from public intrusion. The town is home to hotels, hi-rises, convention centers, stadiums and pricy restaurants amongst other developments. Those must be the rewards for having a long standing, imperial mayor who essentially ran all Leyden township like old boss Daley did Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
No, Rosemont specifically exists because it's not in the city. It was formed by someone who wanted to bring all the office/theatre/arena/corporate/convention/hotel/shopping, etc. to the area and NOT be in the city and not have to deal with the city.

It's a no NIMBY, virtually no taxes and no red tape area set up so a businessman could be in the urban area and do what he wanted without dealing with any local municipality. He IS his own local municipality.. but Rosemont brings in a TON of cash.
Even during the 70's there wasn't much there other than some hotels on Mannheim Rd, a go cart track
on Higgins and a Ground Round on the corner where that waterfall is. There was one interesting place
called the Comedy College. The apartments there were scarce (and creepy) and only a handful of
streets that had homes. Rosemont's proximity to Ohare and fairly close the tip of Chicago was a big
plus. I wonder if they ever plan on building more residential areas....if there is any land left for that
and if they do would people buy homes or condos?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Batali is the real thing, but I too think that this Disneyland approach might just strike out here. Chicago could be a little too hip for this thing to fly. I wouldn't be be surprised if it turns out to be a tourist-a-palooza type destination.
That's exactly what I see happening. It sounds like Olive Garden meets Sam's Club. I already wasn't planning to go, because the hype has been so nauseating. Now that I hear the food is mediocre and overpriced, I see no reason why anyone who knows the many great Italian options in this city would bother.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I always thought of West of Michigan ave as River North and east Streeterville.
Yep, that's the common dividing line. It's sort of silly that they are considered separate neighborhoods, though, IMO.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
That's exactly what I see happening. It sounds like Olive Garden meets Sam's Club. I already wasn't planning to go, because the hype has been so nauseating. Now that I hear the food is mediocre and overpriced, I see no reason why anyone who knows the many great Italian options in this city would bother.
I'm not sure how you can compare eataly to Olive Garden. I haven't yet been to the one here, but the one in NYC is great, they source some of the best italian foods in the us. True the concept might be "sam's club-ey" but the food / wine selection is the real deal (at least eataly NYC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago