Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 10,857 times

Advertisements

I'm attending Lollapalooza next month with a friend and I'm wondering what anyone who's gone has found to be the best in terms of what to wear/bring?

I can't decide if I should wear shorts that will dry quickly even though they don't look very good. Do you get very wet from anything besides a possible rainstorm? I know they have misting stations around the park to keep cool. But I don't know if that's even a big deal and should just wear jean shorts or something since we'll also be walking around the city and I don't want to be dressed THAT casually.

Also do you find close toed shoes to be better? I realize the endless times your feet will be stepped on and for that reason they're better than flip-flops/sandals. But then if it does rain and tennis shoes, etc. get wet you get terrible blisters and are sloshing around all day.

Any tips on this would really be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 PM

229 posts, read 468,607 times
Take a look at what everybody else is wearing in this video.

Lollapalooza 2011 Sunday - YouTube

Old 07-14-2013, 03:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
I've gone a few times and it really depends on the weather. It's usually hot for lolla though with the sun shining, so you don't want to wear anything heavy unless you can deal with that. It's the same as any other music festival. If you aren't from here, then pack a pair of jeans with you in case one day is cloudy and not warm for some reason, but more importantly shorts and tshirt/tank top like every other music festival. It's in August, so there's a 99% chance it'll be in the 80s or 90s.

Most people from what I remember wear tennis shoes there, but some wear sandals and what not. I actually wore my extremely comfortable but expensive half dressy/casual shoes there in 2011. At first glance, yes crazy BUT the funny thing is that the last day had two massive downpours at night. I was up to my ankles in water in some spots with my shoes. When I went home I laid them out to dry for 5 days and they were perfectly fine after that. Funny thing is that everyone's tennis shoes were ruined.

Anyway, the best thing to do, clothes wise, is what I mentioned above. Don't worry about the whole "walking around the city too casually" thing. People do it everyday. I see people going to the beach in shorts and a tank top everyday. Unless you plan on going to a decently nice restaurant, I wouldn't be worried. If you are just going to be walking around and eating at places like Chipotle, you have nothing to worry about. Nobody is going to care how you're dressed on the street or at a food place like Chipotle or somewhere like Walgreen's.

As far as other stuff goes, bring a water bottle or a camelbak (backpack or water bottle). Trust me, if it's hot you will want this especially after spending so much time on your feet and what not. The festival can be a lot of walking/dancing/whatever so keep hydrated or you'll be sorry. They have free water filling stations at the festival and you can buy camelbak there as well if you want to. If you bring a water bottle, get a carabiner and you can attach it to your pants/shorts instead of having to hold it in your hands all the time.

In case it rains one day too, if you want to and can, bring a plastic bag and you can put your phone in it. During the downpour I mentioned before, my phone got wet and I turned it on too soon and ruined the phone. Had to get a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago