Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'll tip pretty well for waitresses, barbers ( sorry, "hair stylists"), cabbies, etc, and I'll leave money in tipping jars, but I don't think that turning on a water faucet really merits a tip, especially when he made it into a "contest"..

I also don't care about an "upscale" bathroom experience.
You don't have to to tip the guy. No need to be annoyed by it. Perhaps TGI Fridays is a better fit for your taste.

And, as I think about the situation more....at $1700/month for a *flipping* studio apartment, they could probably lay off one or two middle managers and afford to pay their front line staff a little better and ENSURE their tenants get top-notch service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Busty...??

Like a "boob job"?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 PM

32 posts, read 84,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Busty...??

Like a "boob job"?

Some are natural, some are fake. My building though probably has a disproportionate amount of hot girls for whatever reason.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Plenty of those types in River North, Streeterville, maybe Gold Coast. What's the controversy exactly?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:18 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
An earlier post used the expression "professional doorman", and now we have "highly-qualified" candidates--all to just open a door?? I think all you need is a pulse, and a funtioning right hand.
I get the impression you have never lived in a doorman building. There's a lot more to the job than just "opening a door". In a highrise like mine, for example, the doormen double as Security, they sign for parcels that are delivered, and after the Management Office is closed for the day, they also have to field calls from tenants requesting maintenance/repairs, as well as complaints about noise and other issues.

I frequently hang out in the Business Center in my building, which is just off the front desk area where the doormen are stationed, so I see and hear a lot of what goes on and all the duties they have to juggle all at once. I have a respect for how hard they work, because I've witnessed it.

Like nearly every job, being a doorman is harder than it looks.

And I suspect that the doormen, in my building at least, are decently paid. Reason being that some of them over the years have actually lived in the building as well, which is not exactly affordable for low-wage earners.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
And I suspect that the doormen, in my building at least, are decently paid. Reason being that some of them over the years have actually lived in the building as well, which is not exactly affordable for low-wage earners.
Lemme guess, these guys also have few to zero complaints about them and their work conduct, yes?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
It's 44k for the whole country and 47k for the city.
Source, please?

The most recent data I found shows $43,628 as a median household income for Chicago. Even if it were 47K, though, that would not make a single income of $50K "a joke" by any definition.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 PM

Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Hell, the City itself says median income of one is 52k.
City of Chicago :: Area Median Income (AMI) chart

Point I meant was that, as a breadwinner and a family, working DOWNTOWN CHICAGO, that's not a lot.

In Kankakee, yeah, maybe.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:12 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Think about this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Hell, the City itself says median income of one is 52k.
City of Chicago :: Area Median Income (AMI) chart

Point I meant was that, as a breadwinner and a family, working DOWNTOWN CHICAGO, that's not a lot.

In Kankakee, yeah, maybe.
While agree that the COL in Kanakee is no doubt more manageable than that of folks that work downtown and live elsewhere in the city I know there are armies of people that work at places like CVS and Walgreeens and McDonalds and Starbucks and Macys and Portillos and Dominicks and Whole Foods and hundreds / thousands of similar retail establishments that make far less...

Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 AM

These employers should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago