Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,095 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am from Romania, I am 18 years old and I am going to spend this summer in Chicago. The problem is that the family where I am going to stay doesn't have kids my age and doesn't even has friends who do. So I was thinking to meet someone before I go so that I won't have to spend a lot of time looking for friends. I will live around Durkin Park(you can google it). I'm looking forward to hearing from you, here or by pm.

P.S. If this is not the right place for what I am interested in can you please at least tell me where is?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:46 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,001,408 times
No, you definitely don't want to try to meet people on the internet, too many predators out there. Once you get here you should be able to meet other kids.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,989,799 times
Durkin Park is pretty far away from some of the "young" parts of the city. It is near the suburbs of Burbank, Bridgeview, etc..I don't know a ton about the area though, but I suggest getting into the heart of the city..I'm sure they will show you that. Hopefully there are some people your age not far from you. I would also suggest learning what the good areas are around where you are and the bad areas. There are some good neighborhoods around you there, but there are also some not so good ones if you go too far.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,095 times
And where can I search for this good/bad - "young/old" neighborhoods? I'll probably have a car to get around, but it would be better if I won't have to drive an hour or so to meet my "friends to be".

Old 05-04-2013, 02:12 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,989,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
And where can I search for this good/bad - "young/old" neighborhoods? I'll probably have a car to get around, but it would be better if I won't have to drive an hour or so to meet my "friends to be".
I am not too familiar with where the young people are on that side of town. We can definitely tell you the neighborhoods to stay away from..for example: Auburn Gresham, Chatham, Greater Grand Crossing, South Chicago, Englewood, West Englewood, East and West Garfield Park, Austin, Humboldt Park (most of it), South SHore, North and South Lawndale, etc...these are areas you are going to probably want to stay away from (and others). Ashburn to the north of you is OK but recently more crime has been happening there.

On average though the "hot" areas of the city happen to be part of downtown, north of downtown, and a little west of downtown (and a little bit SW of it too in a few smaller areas). Unfortunately, as you are 18...the bars here only allow you in if you're 21, but in the summer there's a ton of stuff to do in certain areas of the city where you don't necessarily have to be 21+

In the summer, there are a bunch of music festivals like Lollapalooza (although tickets are sold out...huge festival) and if you're into electronica, there's some huge festivals like Spring Awakening, EDM, North Coast (most of it), and Wavefront.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-04-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 02:41 PM

121 posts, read 337,863 times
good lord, why would anyone willingly come here?

Old 05-04-2013, 03:24 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,215,895 times
I can be your friend. :3

Old 05-04-2013, 03:36 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,509,253 times
Strangers from the internet aren't the best people to meet.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM

359 posts, read 550,796 times
Dont try to meet anyone from the internet here.

Instead, best thing to do is to go to meetup dot com, and look for/join some of the groups there that share the same interests as you. That way, you will be going to events with other people who, although they are strangers, share those interests as you. At those events, you will probably meet people who you will click with and maybe even form friendships. There are also "european professional" meetup groups so you can even meet friends who are Romanians, Polish, French etc.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,589,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Strangers from the internet aren't the best people to meet.
Tell that to the people who do online dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago