Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:06 PM

20 posts, read 53,632 times

Advertisements

Here's just a silly question:

I know it may sound like stupid question, but Is there any dividing line between "territories"? Like, are certain neighborhoods designated Cubs 'hoods and Sox 'hoods, or is it a south side/north side designation? I understand Wrigleyville is obvious, and I know someone will tell me here that they're a Sox fan in a Cubs 'hood (or vice versa) if this thing is true.

My apartment is in West Town, so if my silly inquiry has some validity, please someone tell me it's NOT a Cubs territory (life long Cards fan)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM

95 posts, read 219,550 times
There's some cross pollination, sure (I'm a life long northsider who's also a life long Sox fan), but mostly it is North side Vs. South side. I'd definitely say West Town goes more for the Cubs. In part, it's north side, but also you have a lot of transplants. Most people who move here from out of state and choose a baseball team generally choose the Cubs, partly because they're better known nationwide, and partly because people would rather watch a game and party in Lakeview than in Bridgeport.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
Is it true that a greater proportion of Sox fans are "blue collar"? I've always heard this, but never really saw any demographic data.

Various fan cohorts must have been polled as to occupation. Otherwise, advertisers would be at a loss.
Would be most curious to know.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,525,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
and partly because people would rather watch a game and party in Lakeview than in Bridgeport.
hahaha this is hilarious...and probably party why I am a Cubs fan....although I live in Wicker Park so the Cubs are on "my part of town" if you want a more legitimate reason (though the partying in Lakeview part is probably more accuate).

Actually, Edit: I think I am a Cubs fan because I am ALSO a Pirates fan...two downtrodden teams that are usually awful. The Cubs were just a natural transition from the Buccos for me.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
Here is a link to an interesting story that breaks down the demographics of the two fan bases:

Stats show Cubs, Sox fans are similar - Chicago Tribune

Both are very similar. Sox fans appear to be a touch more religious (or maybe that's within the margin of error).

Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Haha, nice article, Soulful.

I grew up in Springfield, IL, the near half point between Cardinal loyalty and Cub loyalty. Like I said, I'm a Cards fan for life, but I've also been able to look at the fans objectively. I do not mean to offend anyone, as I do know Cub fans who are nice, normal folks, but nearly all of the Cub fans in my hometown are obnoxious buffoons! (Granted, the standard Cards fan is usually a bible-thumping redneck).

My main fear, based on my silly Cub fan prejudice, is that being in the epicenter of the Cubs is going to drive me crazy!

Also, I only know one true Sox fan (my roommate, actually). He is a buffoon in his own right.

I guess my question is: Is it the team that makes the fan a buffoon or is it the city?

Again, no offense.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,525,157 times
most fans of most teams are buffoons

Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 PM

touche.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
...although I live in Wicker Park so the Cubs are on "my part of town" if you want a more legitimate reason (though the partying in Lakeview part is probably more accuate).

When I was growing up West Siders were split between being Sox and Cubs fans with most people in Resurrection (a heavily Irish parish) being Sox fans. It seems now though that many white West Siders, especially young transplants, would rather identify themselves as North Siders, a shame really.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,170,443 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago