Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 PM

32 posts, read 69,048 times

Advertisements

Instead of paying fares over and over, where can I buy a monthly bus pass and a train pass? Is there a difference between the two?

Is it a smart idea to even get a pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Depends on which trains you want to ride, the CTA trains or the Metra regional commuter trains. For Metra trains you would need a separate pass. A CTA pass is good on CTA trains and buses. You can also use it on PACE buses that primarily serve the suburbs.

CTA offers 30-day passes, Metra offers monthly passes -- there is a difference. A CTA 30-day pass is good for 30 days from the first day you use it, no matter what day of the month. If you get a Chicago Card Plus, you have the option to automatically renew it every 30 days. Metra offers monthly passes that are good from the first day of the month to the last day of the month. So if you went and bought an August monthly pass from Metra, you'd be wasting your money because it would only be good for the next 8 days.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:25 PM

439 posts, read 954,174 times
Depends how much you plan to use the CTA. Your going to need to make a certain number of trips in a 30 day period for it to be cheaper than paying for each individual ride.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Depends on which trains you want to ride, the CTA trains or the Metra regional commuter trains. For Metra trains you would need a separate pass. A CTA pass is good on CTA trains and buses. You can also use it on PACE buses that primarily serve the suburbs.

CTA offers 30-day passes, Metra offers monthly passes -- there is a difference. A CTA 30-day pass is good for 30 days from the first day you use it, no matter what day of the month. If you get a Chicago Card Plus, you have the option to automatically renew it every 30 days. Metra offers monthly passes that are good from the first day of the month to the last day of the month. So if you went and bought an August monthly pass from Metra, you'd be wasting your money because it would only be good for the next 8 days.
Thanks for explaining the difference...Yeah, I'm gonna need a CTA pass then. Anything else I should know?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:19 AM

I just realized something...is the Red Line, Blue Line, etc part of the Metra trains or are they part of the CTA trains?

I feel so dumb now because I don't know the difference! And what about subways? How are those classified?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 AM

427 posts, read 463,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyMayfield View Post
I just realized something...is the Red Line, Blue Line, etc part of the Metra trains or are they part of the CTA trains?

I feel so dumb now because I don't know the difference! And what about subways? How are those classified?
Try looking at the CTA website and reading a little bit.

Deprecated Browser Error

Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

From the website:
Deprecated Browser Error
Note: CTA unlimited-ride passes are not valid on Metra (commuter railroad) trains or Pace buses (see exceptions)*. Passes cannot be shared or recharged.

I'm so confused. So the CTA unlimited pass is only good for CTA buses? It doesn't cover trains at all?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 AM

427 posts, read 463,141 times
Quote:
I'm so confused. So the CTA unlimited pass is only good for CTA buses? It doesn't cover trains at all?
It covers CTA trains too.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 AM

Never mind...I get it now!

Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
From the website:
Deprecated Browser Error
Note: CTA unlimited-ride passes are not valid on Metra (commuter railroad) trains or Pace buses (see exceptions)*. Passes cannot be shared or recharged.

It covers CTA trains. It does not cover Metra trains. You can't use any kind of CTA pass on Metra trains, "unlimited" or otherwise. Metra monthly passholders can use their Metra pass on CTA trains and buses during rush hour periods for an extra 40 bucks a month but there is no reciprocal arrangement for CTA 30-day passholders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago