Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,393 times

Advertisements

I just moved up to chicago and looking for a place of my own. I went through a housing service and he showed me a place on the 2400 block of West Polk Street. I was wondering about the neighborhood and if you guys had any information on it. I didn't seem like the nicest of neighborhoods but it didn't seem too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,470 times
It all depends what you are looking for. I use to live at Racine and Taylor and was looking for places close to Western just cuz its so much cheaper. Its all give and take. Theres not a whole lot to do over there, but you are right next to the blue line. I wouldnt rent more then a block west of Western and no further then Harrison to the North. If you can stay a block or two East of Western that would be ideal

Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averilln View Post
I didn't seem like the nicest of neighborhoods but it didn't seem too bad.
Are you a woman? If so, I would have to say no way to moving there.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 AM

17 posts, read 30,894 times
Hello. I know this post is a week old, but in case you are still undecided...here are my two cents. I agree with long101 as to only one block west of Western, which would include 2400 Polk. I live in the area and it's generally fine. However, trust your gut. It is really 'block to block' when you get in that area. I know that Polk is decent. You may have decent luck finding a great condo rental on Harrison, even to 2500w which I would suggest if you are single and planning on using the CTA late at night. Keep in mind that those who tell you to 'stay east of such and such a street' are forgetting that the riff raff from west of such suggestion do not stay in one place all day. They wander around...even to the 'good side' of the street.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,164 times
Hello,

I see that your post is from early March so hopefully, you've already gotten settled! I currently live in this neighborhood off of Western and Armitage. I think it sometimes gets a bad rap. There are based businesses and neighbors with a strong community. We actually will be listing our 2 bed, 2 bath condo next week because we need a larger place for our family. It's the perfect condo and building for a single, or newly married couple. We've been very happy here and our place is amazing, with views of the skyline. We're pricing it way below asking price so if interested in checking it out, send me a note. And welcome to Chicago!!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 AM

312 posts, read 712,849 times
Western and Armitage is nothing like where they're talking about. It is much, much safer. You're talking about 2 entirely different neighborhoods.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 PM

70 posts, read 153,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Are you a woman? If so, I would have to say no way to moving there.
Don't listen to these types of comments. This is a fine place to live. The neighborhood has changed dramatically in the last 10 years and will continue to gentrify. Just remember living in any neighborhood in Chicago, always be aware of your surroundings. FYI, Lots of restaurants and places to eat starting on Taylor at Western Ave going east. All of this is within walking distance from 2400 Polk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago