Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 37,400 times

Advertisements

So just when I had finally made my peace with winter, deciding that acceptance was less stressful than fighting it, I got home yesterday to find my ceiling covered with brown spots and my carpet soaked. Nothing's damaged, just damp and gross. From what I can tell, this happened to several other units on my floor as well. I called the maintenance guy, and he said they'd send someone to shampoo the carpet (they did) and that the paint guys would be there on monday to paint over the water damage to the walls and ceiling. Now I know my complete ignorance of building maintenance is on full display here, but shouldn't they be doing something more to, you know, fix the ceiling? I could be completely wrong, but I always thought wet drywall had to be replaced or mold would grow. The paint isn't cracked or bubbling or anything; at this point it's just brown stains all over the ceiling and walls. The smell isn't pleasant either. People keep telling me to take pictures and file for damages (although nothing of mine was really damaged, it's just a lot of laundry), but i don't see the point unless there's something more they should do besides paint...plus our lease is up in june, and it usually takes them about 3 mos to get to us when we need things fixed anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 12:45 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
If it is drywall it needs to be replaced. If plaster then provided it was not damaged too bady it can be painted over.

Drywall can grow mold plaster for the most part does not unless it got very damaged. The painters might also do drywall work anyway

The bigger issuse is the cause of the damage. If it is a roof or a busted pipe it needs to be repaired.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
The cause of the leak has to be fixed first. TAKE PICTURES OF THE CEILING and file with the insurance company because hidden mold is a health risk. Water + oxygen = mold spores. If you or your family develop allergies or other lung issues you have proof. Be sure to keep a copy of the pictures. All paint does is cover evidence of damage.

According to my environmentalist the #2 killer in Illinois is Mold.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 PM

263 posts, read 567,333 times
Assuming the cause of the leak is fixed, which any competent landlord/maintenance man should be able to fix within a reasonable time frame, there are situations where a mold or mildew removal solution underneath a coat of Kilz primer is adequate.

Keeping in mind I do not know the full extent of the situation, there may drywall replacement/patching necessary. However, if it is minor, then a mold/mildew remover, underneath primer and paint could work.

I do think the proper remedy should be taken; however I have seen many people greatly overstate and unnecessarily obsess over possible mold. Often times water stains does not equal mold. People have a tendency to assume that any stain is evidence of a mold hazard.

Also, if some of your personal belongings did happen to be damaged, the landlord is not automatically liable. This is especially true if the cause of the leak is due to factor's outside the lessor's control.

Renter's insurance is about $20/month.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:35 PM

289 posts, read 896,924 times
I heard from two different people that ventilation is the key way to avoid mold after a leak. They can paint over the side facing down, but if the top stays damp then watch out.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM

15 posts, read 47,380 times
Here's what I recommend:

1. Take photos and begin a log detailing when spots discovered, when you reported, when carpet guys came out, etc. Keep notes of any conversations with landlord or repairmen, copies of any emails - just in case. You probably won't need them but it's a lot easier and more accurate if you keep track of things as they occur.

2. If other units on your floor are having the same problem, there's a leak somewhere. It needs to be fixed.

We can't have you walking around feeling ignorant so here's a couple of ideas to quickly bring you up to speed. Here is a link to a very long document on the EPA's website that's just over 200 pages. You'll want to look at Page 86: Table 1: Water Damage - Cleanup and Mold Prevention and Page 88: Table 2: Guidelines for Remediating Building Materials with Mold Growth Caused by Clean Water.

The other is a link to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Association website. They have an entire series devoted to apartment renters and one of them is: About Your Apartment: The Tenant's Guide To Mold. Obviously, since the report is from another country, not everything in there may be applicable to your situation but it's a great overview of everything and much, much shorter than the EPA's 200 page document. I ran across their site several months ago and am still very much impressed with the information they share with consumers. There is probably a US association that is very similar and may even provide better information; try googling. (And let me know if you find it).

Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 PM

61 posts, read 85,199 times
If the problem is not resolved, then provide written notice (something with a proof of receipt) and deduct some rent from future rent (reasonable amount)...and take pictures in the event security deposit becomes an issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago