Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM

136 posts, read 999,185 times

Advertisements

So, we are narrowing down our relocation efforts. At this point, all things seem to point towards Bridgeport and the surrounding areas.

SO...

What are the general thoughts of the City-data community??? ANY areas (e.g. streets, blocks or intersections) that we should stay away from? Any that we should look for?

Specifically, any thoughts on:
- the corner of Archer and Ashland?
- 3400 block of S. Lituanica??
- 2700 and 3100 block of Emerald?
- 35th and Morgan?

You have all been SOOOOOO helpful so far! Looking for some solid input before we come and look at apartments on 7/15!

THANKS in advance!

Regards,
-TM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Are you Irish? If not I would not move into Bridgeport. That is all that lives there and they are rather unfriendly to people that aren't. And if you are black, don't even think about it. They'll burn you out within a week.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:49 AM

84 posts, read 1,103,765 times
Default Good Question

The only address that I think would be good for you, would be the emerald ones,

Archer Ashland, on a hot summer day, is like a mini Los Angeles, with all the smog, and traffic, plus at night, it can get hairy, crime wise,

I opened that Dominicks, on Archer and Ashland, in 1986, I worked there for five years, since then the overpass has been removed, they built a train, and lots of new townhomes, have gone up, esp 33rd and ashland, and south from there.

Is it necessery for you to live in Bridgeport, and its true, if your not white, you wont last long in that hood, however there are more italians there than irish, plus I believe this to be true, the largest concentration of white trash also calls this neighborhood home.

I would recommend the area around 7041 W 64th place, also I would recommend zipcode 60655, 60643.

Need more details about yourself, to give you any better advice

Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Are you Irish? If not I would not move into Bridgeport. That is all that lives there and they are rather unfriendly to people that aren't. And if you are black, don't even think about it. They'll burn you out within a week.
Is this a serious post? When's the last time you were in Bridgeport? There are also plenty of Italians (and have been for a while), Mexicans, Chinese, and just plain good ol' fashioned mutts there. Your perception of Bridgeport dates back to the 70s. Things have changed since then. Bridgeport isn't even majority white any more, much less majority Irish.

I would concur with MP that the Archer/Ashland intersection can be a little busy; but that's McKinley Park, not Bridgeport. Also, if you look at Archer/Ashland on a map, there is a small section of diagonal streets just northeast of there that are perpendicular to Archer; that's a small trouble spot worth staying out of. I would have few qualms living at any of the other addresses, though I concur the Emerald addresses would be the safest. Generally, east of Halsted is better than west, though you should be fine pretty much anywhere east of Racine.

The best way to get detailed crime data on the area is to click here, then use the filters to determine where and when various types of crimes have occurred in the area going all the way back to November 2005. Bridgeport is in the 9th district, so you'll want to use the 9th District filter or you're going to get a lot of useless junk.

Last edited by Drover; 07-12-2007 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-12-2007, 08:06 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,245 times
Archer and Ashland is the newer section. This used to be nothing but industrial use land and has since been converted to $700K+ SFH (with a lot of construction problems) I would pass

34th and Lituanica is right behind Puffer's. One of my favorite hangouts. Definately worth considering

27th/31st and Emerald. East of Halsted is considered the Gold Coast of Bridgeport. You can't go wrong here.

35th & Morgan This is the gentrifying area, has been a white ghetto for the past 80 or so years, but being that close to downtown made it very attractive to real estate spectators during the boom. A great place to meet your new neighbors on morgan is the Polo Cafe on 33rd and Morgan. Def worth considering.

I have many friends who are from bridgeport and only one is irish (actually half irish half mexican) If you like hanging out with your neighbors on the front porch, then you'll fit in just fine here.

Also i would recommend buying in BP, your rent will be through the roof 4 years from now,

Old 07-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Thumbs up This forum ALWAYS comes through!!!

WONDERFUL!!! Thank you all so much for the insight (both positive and negative)!!! It is helpful!!! It sounds like we have chosen the right place. All of these apartments were found through CraigsList, the Chicago Reader, or the Bridgeport News. (Thanks to Drover for the insight in general, and specifically on consulting these resources )

Well, if anyone else wants to "weigh in" on our relocation search...here's the pertinent info:
- Young (inter-cultural) couple, with no kids.
- I will be teaching for CPS on the southeast side (72nd st.)
- She is a paralegal looking for a job
- We would like a 2 bed (minimum) apartment in a safe (but not rich or snobby) neighborhood for around $800. It would be ideal if this neighborhood was "multi-cultural" and where people actually interacted with their neighbors.

The apartments I listed seem to all fit this bill (except for maybe Archer/Ashland). Is there somewhere else I should be looking?? I mean we would LOVE to live in Hyde Park, but do not think we can afford it (at least to start with). We have also considered Pilsen. Bucktown and Wicker Park would be cool...but that starts to become a heck of a commute for me. Other thoughts?

Marquette Park, what "neighborhoods" are the zip codes you mentioned? Can I search some of those resources by zip code instead of neighborhood? Can I PM you?

THANKS AGAIN to this community for ALL their insight!!! I await more great data to ruminate upon!!!

Cheers,
-TM

Old 07-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Lightbulb Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post

Also i would recommend buying in BP, your rent will be through the roof 4 years from now,
Really?! That's interesting! Any reasons why you think that would happen? Do you think our rent would go up each year when we re-signed the lease? Rent for a year or two, then buy?? Buy soon...good chance to make money in 4 years?

Like to explore this topic deeper...

-TM

Old 07-12-2007, 01:31 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherMan View Post
Really?! That's interesting! Any reasons why you think that would happen? Do you think our rent would go up each year when we re-signed the lease? Rent for a year or two, then buy?? Buy soon...good chance to make money in 4 years?

Like to explore this topic deeper...

-TM
There's a good chance that whatever building you are in could be sold to a developer.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Question More info?? (ATTN: NSH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
There's a good chance that whatever building you are in could be sold to a developer.
Really...even if it's a "Mom & Pop place" we are renting, not a complex. But that could not happen DURING the term of a lease...correct??

So then what would happen?

Thanks for the insight... and WHY do you think this might happen?

much thanks,
-TM

Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
The buzz on Bridgeport is that it's in the path of redevelopment/gentrification that is rolling southward from the University area directly to the north. I don't know that it's going to be as dramatic as others are betting on. Usually, gentrification "spillover" occurs from one contiguous, uninterrupted neighborhood to another, whereas there is a HUGE barrier between the University area and Bridgeport, namely the river and I-55 corridor. Additionally, there is a much stronger engine driving development of the University area, namely UIC's charter requirement forbidding dormatories recently expired; and with that, it is trying to transition from a "commuter" school to a more traditional "live on campus" school. At any rate, I think NSH exaggerates the odds of having your apartment sold out from under you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago