Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 PM

72 posts, read 237,124 times

Advertisements

i'm looking at renting something offa Morgan, as long as i don't have to worry about home invasions, i'm not jumped n robbed in broad daylight when i walk around or confronted by homies n crackheads, and i don't have to learn spanish i think it'll be a fine place

a lot of people have been discouraging me however, claiming it to be a ghetto and such

what's the actual story? the nicer areas of bridgeport seem no different from wrigleyville or any of those upscale neighborhoods up there

Last edited by vic the trader; 09-24-2010 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 09:06 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Morgan St is rough, especially from 31st to 35th. There's a reason rents over there are cheap.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 PM

And I suppose I can elaborate some more.

When I was apartment hunting in Bridgeport, I came across a sweet 2 BR vintage three flat apartment on Morgan and 32nd. It was only $585 a month. Curious, I walked down the street to the police station and inquired about the immediate area. The policemen on duty said that it would not be wise to move into that particular place unless I was particularly foolhardy, broke, or both.

Right down the street was a CHA complex, which made me feel unsettled. And, on 31st and Morgan, folks of dubious nature would sometimes be gathering at daylight hours.

Eventually, I settled on an apartment @ 31st and Canal. It's a MUCH safer, better location. The tradeoff was that the apartment was a little crappier. However, you always want to be in the crappiest place in the nicer neighborhood, not the other way around.

I hope this little anecdote helps a little.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic the trader View Post
what's the actual story? the nicer areas of bridgeport seem no different from wrigleyville or any of those upscale neighborhoods up there

I do apologize for so many consecutive replies, but this statement does not equate. Of all the things Bridgeport is, this is not.

I think that the closest thing to north side night life and commerce is probably o n 35th and halsted. And even then, it's still kind of sparse. Bridgeport is A LOT quieter and residential than many north side neighborhoods. One of things I hated most was having to drive over to Mckinley Park to do grocery shopping.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 PM

How rough are we talking? I give people the benefit of the doubt to not be monsters.

I couldn't live somewhere like Cabrini Green, though. I'm particularly not fond of home invasion.

Last edited by vic the trader; 09-26-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
How rough are we talking? I give people the benefit of the doubt to not be monsters.

I couldn't live somewhere like Cabrini Green, though. I'm particularly not fond of home invasion.
You should never give others the benefit of the doubt unless they have proven themselves able to be. Otherwise, that idealist and naive thinking will get you in trouble.

What do you like about this Morgan St. address anyhow?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
What do you like about this Morgan St. address anyhow?
Inner city location + cheap rent + very little gang activity seems like a good combo.

Not to mention City-Data neighborhood info says the general area around Morgan & 32nd for instance is at least %30 white non-hispanic, and that's more than most other cheap places in the city can boast.

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...hicago-IL.html

Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Inner city location + cheap rent + very little gang activity seems like a good combo.

Not to mention City-Data neighborhood info says the general area around Morgan & 32nd for instance is at least %30 white non-hispanic, and that's more than most other cheap places in the city can boast.

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...hicago-IL.html
Yes, it is close to the loop and cheap for rent. But no, there is NOT very little gang activity. Like I said, you have the Bridgeport homes on 32nd and Lituanica, which is a CHA complex.

As far as numbers go, I believe they are guesstimate in-between census numbers. We won't know the facts until next year when the official 2010 census numbers come out.

The are you're looking at is HEAVILY Hispanic. The only smattering of whites you'll find is mostly the poor-artist types who hang out at the coffee house on 31st and Morgan.

again, you could just move there if you like it that much. But you may find that it could be not what you were expecting.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
The only smattering of whites you'll find is mostly the poor-artist types who hang out at the coffee house on 31st and Morgan.

I went in there one day and everyone but me was screwing around with a laptop. I was the only person reading the newspaper. And nobody was bull****ting.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I went in there one day and everyone but me was screwing around with a laptop. I was the only person reading the newspaper. And nobody was bull****ting.
If there is one thing you need to know about these new types of 'starving artists', it's that they are hipster pansies in tight jeans, sporting laptops and iPhones for which they can use to blog about the garbage work they are making. These types of white folks who claim to be poor almost always have these 'necessities'.

For reference, go into Zhou Brothers. There is some good stuff, but there is also a lot of garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago