Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:08 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
This thread is about a man who just died. I am not saying people have to kiss his rear because he passed but...Why not talk directly about things you did not like about him in specific, instead of talking about things that have nothing to do with him?
I thought it was pretty clear, but I hate him because he was part of the Illinois machine. With any luck, more Illinois politicians will follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
All I know is there's gonna be a hell of a traffic tieup when that funeral procession makes its way from Division and Milwaukee all the way up to Milwaukee and Touhy.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I thought it was pretty clear, but I hate him because he was part of the Illinois machine...
Nope. The Chicago machine. But that machine worked really well for a very long time.

You really need to look at what this man did not only for the city and state, but for the country.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Rostenkowski was an absolute god to most of the white ethnic voters of the 10th, especially the Poles. Only the Pope polled higher.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Nope. The Chicago machine. But that machine worked really well for a very long time.

You really need to look at what this man did not only for the city and state, but for the country.
Technically the Chicago machine, yes, but Chicago is largely in charge of Springfield. At this point it all seems pretty interchangeable. It's all well and good that he has some significant accomplishments, but my earlier posts were not irrelevant. Despite the positive aspects of his career, it was Rosty and people like him that brought Illinois to the desperate state that it is in today. It's kind of hard to overlook that, especially since there is no hope of changing it. The Chicago/Illinois machine is still in charge, and will still make sure their candidates are installed this November, to the detriment of us all.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
You understand that the people in Alaska who benefited from Ted Steven's corruption feel the same way, right?

This is why America is in the state it is, everyone knows the government is corrupt, but somehow believes "their" politician is the exception to the rule.

I worked on Waguespack's campaign, and let me tell you something - Rosty's legacy includes all sorts of hack politicians you've never heard of or connected the dots to,.

And many of which are most definitely in Springfield, wasting our time and money and selling us down the river when it suits their personal interests.

And as for how well the Chicago Machine "worked," well, that really depends who you ask, doesn't it? It certainly never worked for the public school children. It certainly didn't work well for most of the south and west sides. How well it worked for the north side "white ethnics" is hard to determine, since Hizzoner sold most of them/us out in favor of corporations and developers.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
...I worked on Waguespack's campaign, and let me tell you something - Rosty's legacy includes all sorts of hack politicians you've never heard of or connected the dots to...
I know who Matlak,Gabinksi,etc. are.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
OK, love him and/or hate him, he's deserving of his own thread, he had a monstrous impact on our City and larger region.

Good piece by Joravsky:

Bye-Bye Big Dan | Feature | Chicago Reader
The Tribune has been doing a great job constructing his obit today.

Dan Rostenkowski dead at 82 - chicagotribune.com

Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
I think it's hard to pin the statewide problems on Rosty - mainly because the state legislature (and governorship) was dominated by collar county and downstate Republicans during his time in politics. Anyone who thinks Chicago dominates statewide politics really needs to start reading up on the history of Chicago and Illinois. It has had a stronger influence recently, but it does not dominate state politics in ANY way.

He certainly did support hacks on the local level, and should be held accountable for that. He, and many of the people he supported, extorted millions from developers and allowed some really crappy buildings to be built in Ukrainian Village (as in faulty concrete ready to collapse condo buildings). They also sold out the neighbors of those buildings by granting some egregious variances.

Gabinski and Matlak were complete tools. They were my Aldermen for the first ten years I was in Chicago. Good lord they were myopic machine tools. Rosty was much smarter than any of them, infinitely smarter.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
...Rosty was much smarter than any of them, infinitely smarter.
Not only was this man very intelligent-he could beat almost anybody's ass-even when he was older. He was built like a wookiee.

I had the pleasure of talking to him a few times. He was a very nice guy-believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago