Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 PM

55 posts, read 162,113 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning our move to the suburbs and, like any parent, we are exploring schools.

So, I found this link from US News about the best high schools Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report but when I compared it to the Illinois interactive report card, some of the schools are actually on Academic Watch or Early Academic Watch.

For example:

Glenbrook South Interactive Illinois Report Card
Hinsdale South Interactive Illinois Report Card

Wheaton North and Wheaton Warrenville South Interactive Illinois Report Card

Or my favorite Lake View High School (Yeah it's in the city, but made the list with 7 years of school improvement) Interactive Illinois Report Card

Obviously, they must use different criteria to evaluate, but am I missing something? Is there a better way to evaulate or a better site to go to?

Thanks in advance,
TG

Last edited by trickygal; 01-08-2010 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,520,376 times
Well the fact is the "falling to make adequate yearly progress" is a concern. The schools that fall into that category are not "eliminated" for the US News rankings because the criteria is different (the absolute rankings of the schools in terms of their the performance on tests, performance relative to calculated expected result of students statisitcally underprepared, and college readiness scored as measured by AP tests). Personally I would like to see every schools improve, even those already doing quite well, because the data from how much "value add" the US workforce is capable of is pretty dismal. Essentially that is why the AWS list exists -- to target schools that are not moving the right direction. That said schools that "make the cut" of the US News criteria are almost certainly going to allow students who leave with a diploma to get into a decent college and succeed.

Clear?

As to better measures? Fuhgedaboutit. I have been involved in real estate for over two decades and was also a high school teacher, the sites that allow folks to "recommend" schools are a joke, there are really no other sources of data that are uniform other than the Illinois Interactive Report Card (which is using data in a way mandated by "No Child Left Behind") AND the layering up the AP tests and statistical predictive data of US News.

If you want to look to school that are as least as well ranked on the US News AND those that they do fall into the AWS category there might be some merit in that...

Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,681,304 times
Lake View high school is not among the "top of the class" public high schools in the city.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:24 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,520,376 times
Default And it ain't suburban by a long shot either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Lake View high school is not among the "top of the class" public high schools in the city.
The inclusion of Lake View is almost certainly because of the relative performance it has in comparision to the "gap" numbers it has -- huge percentage of kids there are coming from economic disadavantage:

Economically Disadvantaged Student Enrollment (% of total) 82.4%

I actually know some staff there and a few of teachers are really the inspiring inner city teachers that movies are made of, but they cannot overcome the negatives that so many of the kids enter with...

Old 01-08-2010, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,236 times
We are in the same boat as you...looking to buy in the suburbs. I have been using this as a resource:

Suntimes article. In the left side bar, there is a link for elementary and middle school rankings.

HTHs.

ETA: can't make the link clickable - sorry.

Last edited by acookwith2kids; 01-08-2010 at 09:05 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 AM

298 posts, read 580,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickygal View Post
My husband and I are planning our move to the suburbs and, like any parent, we are exploring schools.

So, I found this link from US News about the best high schools Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report but when I compared it to the Illinois interactive report card, some of the schools are actually on Academic Watch or Early Academic Watch.

For example:

Glenbrook South Interactive Illinois Report Card
Hinsdale South Interactive Illinois Report Card

Wheaton North and Wheaton Warrenville South Interactive Illinois Report Card

Or my favorite Lake View High School (Yeah it's in the city, but made the list with 7 years of school improvement) Interactive Illinois Report Card

Obviously, they must use different criteria to evaluate, but am I missing something? Is there a better way to evaulate or a better site to go to?

Thanks in advance,
TG

Many suburan high schools considered "high performing" have become victim to the stygmatizing effects of NCLB. When any subgroup fails to make adequate yearly progress, the "school" fails to make AYP. Not to get into the pros or cons of NCLB, but it is simply not the best way to evaluate if the school / suburb is right for your family. I think Lakeview High School is the prime example of this. It is NOT a "high performing" high school in traditional terms, but it HAS done well in getting test scores to "move in the right direction". Sooo, you should evaluate schools based on: percentage of students that go to four year college (and where), number of AP courses offered, average ACT scores (all juniors in Illinois take it through the Prairie State exam), extra curriculars, parent involvement, etc. You won't go wrong with a Glenbard or a Hinsdale, especially if your involved as a parent. Best o' luck!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 AM

4 posts, read 22,447 times
Hinsdale, Wheaton, Glenbard; they're all great. I hear Elmhurst is pretty good. You can always consider sending your kids out for high school, if you're that worried. Boarding school somewhere in-state. Lake Forest Academy is great, but it might be expensive, since it's private. The Illinois Math and Science Academy is an alternative; its funded by the government so the education's a free ride, although still first-class. I think you have to pay for food, but it's a cost that can be waived depending on your financial needs.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 AM

109 posts, read 353,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
Many suburan high schools considered "high performing" have become victim to the stygmatizing effects of NCLB. When any subgroup fails to make adequate yearly progress, the "school" fails to make AYP. Not to get into the pros or cons of NCLB, but it is simply not the best way to evaluate if the school / suburb is right for your family. I think Lakeview High School is the prime example of this. It is NOT a "high performing" high school in traditional terms, but it HAS done well in getting test scores to "move in the right direction". Sooo, you should evaluate schools based on: percentage of students that go to four year college (and where), number of AP courses offered, average ACT scores (all juniors in Illinois take it through the Prairie State exam), extra curriculars, parent involvement, etc. You won't go wrong with a Glenbard or a Hinsdale, especially if your involved as a parent. Best o' luck!

Where do you go to find which colleges graduating students attend? I can't ever seem to find that information on the schools' websites.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 PM

60 posts, read 182,979 times
Please allow me to add a few suggestions. Once you have narrowed your choice down to a few districts, I highly recommend visiting schools. Arrange to talk to the principal. Additionally, I recommend reviewing the districts finances. Not every district is financially prepared to meet budget cuts. Finally, consider whether the PTO adds value to the school. Our PTO contributes in excess of $50,000.00 per year to the improvement of the school. This site - all of Mr. Everett's postings in particular - helped guide my family in choosing District 220 (Barrington) over others. We have been very happy with our decision.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,424,564 times
It is best to look at the Illinois state issued school report cards. If you look at those you routinely see districts like New Trier 203, Hinsdale Central, Glenbrook North, etc. rank at the top, but there are many options for public schools in the Chicago area. The top school districts are generally in the wealthiest areas and the most expensive (which is unfortunate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs