Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinajju View Post
Actually what I was looking to get out of my OP was get a list of towns from the map that ppl thought matched my original criteria. And then I would take that list and individually research the towns. I understand I will need to provide more specifics (at least my work location) for posters to respond effectively.
What's making this difficult is that there are about 100 different communities on that map and dozens upon dozens of school districts. That's another reason why we'd like to have more info about where you're working because otherwise there are conceivably 40 or 50 different answers we could provide based on the criteria given so far. In short, you're sending us on a fool's errand unless we have something more we can use to pare down the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,965,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I find it quite funny that the poster lopped off the entire south side.
Isn't this what the majority of (white) middle and upper class home buyers do? Sad but true.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,467,108 times
There are lots of newer homes (and non-minorities) in the greater SW, but not too many jobs. And it the OP does have some WI connections it does add signficantly to the travel time to be south of I-88...

Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM

947 posts, read 2,425,880 times
The OP explained his reasons for not wanting to venture SW and it was not derogatory in the least and totally understandable.
For others, SW suburbs do, however, offer strong community, good schools and affordability not always seen west or north. In other words, more house for the money.
Also, I355 makes business areas of OakBrook or Naperville more easily accessible.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 PM

17,461 posts, read 14,702,131 times
If he would've given his reason in the beginning, I would've said nothing about the south side's slice & dice job.

In his original post he said that he choice that specific map because of the distance he wanted to live from downtown. Not distance from Naperville, not Milwaukee but from downtown.

When someone says that and then specifically lops off the south side ... well, I'd have to think someone has a bone to pick with the often picked on (and, in some cases, for good reason) south side.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 AM

30 posts, read 162,613 times
@oakparkdude, chuckity- You certainly made lot of assumptions based on my one post. I dont know if its true that the majority of "white" upper class home buyers do not want to live in the south. But that doesn't apply to me simply because I am not white . However, prejudices (right or wrong) will never cease to exist. Just look at the plight of immigrant African cab drivers in Argentina, no one wants to sit in their cab. Xenophobia?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,965,402 times
Quote:
@oakparkdude, chuckity- You certainly made lot of assumptions based on my one post. I dont know if its true that the majority of "white" upper class home buyers do not want to live in the south. But that doesn't apply to me simply because I am not white . However, prejudices (right or wrong) will never cease to exist. Just look at the plight of immigrant African cab drivers in Argentina, no one wants to sit in their cab. Xenophobia?
I made no specific comment regarding your intentions, and I apologize if you thought I was casting aspersions in your direction. I was simply making the point regarding the general housing market in Chicagoland, which is that the south suburbs (with the possible exception of the SW burbs) are ruled out by most homebuyers who don't have a prior connection to the Southside. (ie most transplants.) The reasons are complex and multiple and cannot be addressed in a single post.

Hope that clears things up.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM

17,461 posts, read 14,702,131 times
Quote:
If that truly was your motivation for posting a map of the upper 2/3s of the Chicagoland area, then I apologize.

But in most cases when someone posts a question about which suburb to live, a map like yours and a stipulation that this is the area they want to live based on proximity to downtown ... they have pre-conceived notions about the south side.

Truthfully, there are large sections of the south side that I would never raise a family in - some towns that I've lived in myself. It just bothers me though that people dismiss anything south of Burr Ridge. But that's my own hang up.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
I have moved 30 times, including multiple cross country relocations.

#1 rule of thumb is employment first, then housing.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM

30 posts, read 162,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have moved 30 times, including multiple cross country relocations.

#1 rule of thumb is employment first, then housing.
Thanks. In the past everytime I have moved to a new location, I moved in with someone I knew until I found my own place. But the Chicago move is going to be different. I am married now and have a 2 year old so moving in with someone for a month or so is not practical. Any idea what ppl typically do in my situation? I guess I can always rent an apartment first then do house search (assuming I already have a job). But rent on a month by month basis is usually high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs