Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,620 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I am a 29 year old single young professional considering relocating to Naperville for my company. I'm from Royal Oak, MI so am clueless to the Chicago 'burbs'. My job would consist of traveling within Naperville and so living in downtown Naperville would be ideal. Just wondering if there is a good nightlife for my age 'group' for young singles and if anyone had any suggestions on where to live?! (will be renting apt or condo/twnhome)I am very active and like to be near the action both for going out and things to do! Also wondering if there are a lot of people my age or social sports leagues to join in this area?! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 AM

189 posts, read 522,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccergirl14 View Post
Hi guys! I am a 29 year old single young professional considering relocating to Naperville for my company. I'm from Royal Oak, MI so am clueless to the Chicago 'burbs'. My job would consist of traveling within Naperville and so living in downtown Naperville would be ideal. Just wondering if there is a good nightlife for my age 'group' for young singles and if anyone had any suggestions on where to live?! (will be renting apt or condo/twnhome)I am very active and like to be near the action both for going out and things to do! Also wondering if there are a lot of people my age or social sports leagues to join in this area?! Thanks so much!
Wow... talk about moving into a perfect situation for yourself! I think you're going to be very pleasantly surprised with the Naperville area.

First, I'm a Detroit->Chicago re-locator myself. My wife and I (both your age) are still in the process of moving from Sterling Heights to Naperville/Aurora. I work downtown, but chose this area because it felt the most like the Detroit suburbs that I'm used to. We got here about a month ago, and are still unpacking the boxes.

One thing you'll need to wrap your head around rather quickly... cost of living. The cost of housing here in Chicagoland is almost double what it is in Detroit, so hopefully your budget is going to allow for that. Sticker-shock was a major hurdle for my wife and I. If you're single and don't mind apartment living there's plenty of options, they just may be at the higher end of your price range.

Downtown Naperville itself doesn't have too much in the way of affordable apartment living, and if it did it would be crazy expensive. Think downtown Birmingham, only bigger. But, just a couple miles outside of downtown Naperville (still in the city, or just into the next towns in any direction), there will be tons of typical suburbia developments. Apartments starting around $1k per month, townhomes upwards of $1300, houses upwards of $1600. The market isn't nearly as bad as Detroit, but there's still a lot out there to bargain on. My wife and I ended up going a few miles west (towards Oswego) and got an almost new 2B/2.5B/Loft townhome for around $1300/month.

As for the atmosphere... I hope you've got energy, because downtown Naperville will offer you more than you can imagine. Plenty of trendy restaurants/bars/shopping/etc. Again, it's a larger Birmingham. If you can deal with the budget concerns of going out several nights per week, you'll have more good times than you can handle. We're not too into the nighttime scene now that we've got a kid, but I imagine that place is jumping every night of the week with other young professionals getting off the train and heading straight to the bars to catch the game and meet people.

Congratulations on escaping Detroit. I'm sure you'll find Naperville to be an extremely nice place to land. Frankly, with me working all the way in the city (hour+ commute), I'm a little jealous of anyone who actually gets to work and live in Naperville.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Do you have a ballpark idea of how much you'd want to spend on rent? My husband and I keep an eye on prices around here, because we're trying to convince his sister to move here. If you can live near where you work, that's great! We live in Naperville and really like it, but we have kids and a busy home life, so we don't know much about nightlife. I can help with questions about areas to live, how to get places, stuff like that.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Naperville is perfect for your age group. As others have pointed out, its very expensive in most areas. Id look into Warrenville, its immediately North of Naperville, cheaper, just as safe, and a lot quieter.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM

324 posts, read 884,084 times
Naperville is kind of a family-ish town -- beware. Not to say that it isn't a great place, but it's one of those best-places-to-raise-your-kids types of towns. That said, there are some fun bars, restaurants, and shops downtown. Not much living space downtown tho -- although you can definitely live somewhere nearby/walking distance from downtown.

As far as suburbs go, naperville definitely has more to offer than a lot of the other nearby suburbs. But housing in Naperville is NOT cheap!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,620 times
Thanks everyone! Might be coming there this weekend to check it out and look for apts/townhomes. Any suggestions? Looking for places close to downtown and also fairly convenient to be able to jump on the train to head to downtown Chicago for some fball/bball games! Price range probably hoping to stay around 1,00-1300 if not cheaper but am getting the idea that may not be possible! lol! Very excited about the prospect of getting out of Detroit! Living in Commerce Township right now-used to live in Royal Oak....

Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 AM

189 posts, read 522,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccergirl14 View Post
Thanks everyone! Might be coming there this weekend to check it out and look for apts/townhomes. Any suggestions? Looking for places close to downtown and also fairly convenient to be able to jump on the train to head to downtown Chicago for some fball/bball games! Price range probably hoping to stay around 1,00-1300 if not cheaper but am getting the idea that may not be possible! lol! Very excited about the prospect of getting out of Detroit! Living in Commerce Township right now-used to live in Royal Oak....
I think 1000-1300 is very doable if you're looking at apartment living for one person. Very doable. As for where to start... the apartment complexes around Naperville (and in 10 miles in every direction) are virtually never-ending. Pick one you like and check out the office. There are some decent reviews on google, but for the most part you'll either get the "love it!" or "hate it!" types with very little in-between.

Anything within walking/biking distance of the train is generally more expensive for what you get, but if you're not commuting to Chicago everyday you can probably get by just as easy a few miles from the station and get more bang for your buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs