Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:47 PM

11 posts, read 41,090 times

Advertisements

Guyz,

My job is moving to Burr Ridge area within next 3-4 months. I am looking for a condo/single family house with upper limit of $300K and less than 45 mins commute one-way. Just looking at the map I am coming up with following places -

Westmont
Darien
Downers Grove
Oak Brook
Willowbrook
Woodridge
Glen Ellyn
Lombard
Glenn Ellyn
Elmhurst
Naperville

Can I find something livable with less than 20 yrs of age in these areas? Resale value in next 5-6 years is my big consideration. Need guidance/recommendations from the group regarding these areas or other closeby places.

Thanks for the help,
Josh

Last edited by Josh2006; 03-29-2007 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Any Suggestions Guyz?

Any Suggestions Guyz?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 PM
LHS

2 posts, read 7,361 times
Josh, did you see this thread on Burr Ridge? Maybe it will help.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...tml#post344156

I'd also like to hear more, as I am also possibly moving to the area in the near future. I took a look at some of the areas near Willowbrook and Burr Ridge a couple of weeks ago, when I was in town, but everything seemed so family oriented. Like the writer of the above thread, I was hoping to find something a little more geared toward single, professionals. I didn't make it to Oak Park, as some people had suggested on the above thread, but is that really the closest place that offers a bit of nightlife for singles that aren't just out of college?

Unlike Josh, I'll be needing to rent and I think that probably makes things difficult for me, as I didn't seem to find anything but large, single-family homes. However, I highly doubt the homes in the area cost $300k or less. The homes in Burr Ridge, in fact, are massive and I hear that it is one of the weathiest Western suburbs. I drove through La Grange and Hinsdale and found them to be beautiful, but expensive as well. I also drove through Westmont, Darien and Downers Grove, three other burbs you mention. They were nice, too--perhaps they would be more reasonable?

In addition to Josh's questions, does anyone have opinions on the South Loop and how long it would take to drive to Willowbrook/Burr Ridge on a daily basis? What about other parts of the Loop? And, not to take over Josh's thread , does anyone have any idea where renters look in these southwestern suburbs?

Old 04-01-2007, 02:30 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS View Post
Unlike Josh, I'll be needing to rent and I think that probably makes things difficult for me, as I didn't seem to find anything but large, single-family homes. However, I highly doubt the homes in the area cost $300k or less. The homes in Burr Ridge, in fact, are massive and I hear that it is one of the weathiest Western suburbs. I drove through La Grange and Hinsdale and found them to be beautiful, but expensive as well. I also drove through Westmont, Darien and Downers Grove, three other burbs you mention. They were nice, too--perhaps they would be more reasonable?
Your assumptions are correct. You'll definitely be able to find a rental house in Downers Grove - there are several listed on realtor.com. As for commuting from the South Loop, my guess is about half an hour, on a good day. I think that would get old quickly, but if you're set on having the amenities of the city at your doorstep, it may be worth it. The nice thing about living in Downers Grove is that there are three Metra stations, and the train can take you downtown in less than an hour (half an hour on an express train). There is a club in Lombard, The Bamboo Room, which I've heard is decent though the crowd can be heavy on the college side since there's a small university in Downers Grove. There are some sports bars in the area too but that's about it for nightlife.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 17,356 times
Default west burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2006 View Post
Guyz,

My job is moving to Burr Ridge area within next 3-4 months. I am looking for a condo/single family house with upper limit of $300K and less than 45 mins commute one-way. Just looking at the map I am coming up with following places -

Westmont
Darien
Downers Grove
Oak Brook
Willowbrook
Woodridge
Glen Ellyn
Lombard
Glenn Ellyn
Elmhurst
Naperville

Can I find something livable with less than 20 yrs of age in these areas? Resale value in next 5-6 years is my big consideration. Need guidance/recommendations from the group regarding these areas or other closeby places.

Thanks for the help,
Josh

I live in Burr Ridge. Unfortunately, for all the cities you listed, you won't find anything in the 300K price range. Probalby nothing less than 400K for a condo or samll townhome.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 AM

Beep....In that case what would be my nearest choices?

Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,584 times
It appears that Beep has no idea what he/she is talking about. Go to realtor.com and search - you will find condos and even single family homes in most of the areas you listed for under $300K.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 AM

198 posts, read 822,032 times
I have a client that I placed in Woodridge in a single family home who had the same price range. She looked for 6 months and we hit every one of the suburbs that you mentioned looking at townhomes and single family homes. Every town but Woodridge offered nothing but tiny homes with some kind of major trade-off : small lot, busy street, no second full bath, or just extensive rehab. She actually liked the newer rowhomes in Willow Springs right by the train (there were two or three just under 300K). But Downers has much better high schools so she opted for Woodridge whose kids go to Downers North,South, Naperville C or Lemont, depending on where the home is located. Her kids ride their bikes to the waterpark in the summer and she takes the train out of Downers to her job downtown (Downers has a great train schedule). Woodridge can access I-355 by Maple, 75th or Boughton and link into I-55 or take 83rd to Lemont Rd south to I-55. It would be an easy commute by Chicago standards to Burr Ridge.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,473 times
I visit Burr Ridge occasionally. The zoning is weird as you drive through light industrial areas to get to enclaves of nouveau riche McMansions many of which holler "money no taste". For a young single, forget it. There doesn't appear to be anything interesting to see or do. Even if you could afford it you would have to leave the area for recreation or night life. B.R. families do have access to Hinsdale schools but other than that it hasn't much to offer other than high prices and a false sense of elitism by those who think dollars expended equals class. Oak Park would be my recommendation for you.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:54 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
You all are forgetting La Grange Highlands!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs