Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,578 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move out of the city but don't want to move to a suburb with a huge amount of babies and teenagers. Anyone have a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,694 times
that's kind of an interesting question, and not so easy to answer.

One place for sure would be Sun City Huntley (if you're old enough).

I checked the top 100 list for "oldest average age" (figuring that a place without kids will have a much higher average age) and Oak brook came up. One of the posters on here is "oak brook mom", maybe she has some insight on that. And yes, I realize the irony of that.

you may want to look at the us census website and look at specific other suburbs if you're interested in it-- i think they have data like average number of children per household.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:37 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groom1962 View Post
My husband and I want to move out of the city but don't want to move to a suburb with a huge amount of babies and teenagers. Anyone have a good idea?
That's going to be nearly impossible. The only suburbs which don't have a huge amount of babies and teenagers are those with aging populations. And in those few suburbs, the quiet seniors are probably going to be replaced with young families at some point down the road. So if the teens and babies aren't there now, they soon will be.

You'll be better off staying in Chicago if you don't like kids. The Near West Side, West Town, and Near North Side are sort of suburban in feel in that there's a lot of new construction and townhomes, and they have high percentages of DINKs and singles because the people moving there tend to be unconcerned about schools. Of course, they're definitely not cheap and are somewhat vanilla compared to the more established neighborhoods, but it doesn't sound like you'll mind that.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
that's kind of an interesting question, and not so easy to answer.

One place for sure would be Sun City Huntley (if you're old enough).

I checked the top 100 list for "oldest average age" (figuring that a place without kids will have a much higher average age) and Oak brook came up. One of the posters on here is "oak brook mom", maybe she has some insight on that. And yes, I realize the irony of that.

you may want to look at the us census website and look at specific other suburbs if you're interested in it-- i think they have data like average number of children per household.
Oak Brook is probably one of the most expensive cities to live in, probably in the USA actually. 90% of that town is gated it seems. LOL There are some older areas, but Im sure youd still pay out the gills for a small dumpy house, just because of the town its in, same goes for Hinsdale. Which brings me to another point: Hinsdale has children of course, but every time I go downtown Hinsdale (nice) its all sophisticated old folks in Benzes and Beemers and Lexus'. It definitely doesnt feel like a youngster town, its too upscale for that it seems. Just an idea...

Old 02-24-2007, 11:27 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,187,202 times
Check out some of the inner ring suburbs like Oak Lawn. There are a lot of seniors, and a lot of singles and couples who like the proximity to the city and the train. It is becoming more popular with families, but still it's not an overwhelming amount, like you'd see in Naperville or Plainfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs