Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:02 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,269,765 times

Advertisements

Part of my childhood was spent near here. I would love to take my family here in 2009. Would Countryside Lake still be a nice area? There is a home surrounded by a golf course - Countryside Lake Golf Club - it's still there, right? (Used to live there).

Would love to see the area again as an adult and show my children. My mom is now 87 and my dad is deceased (he would have been 80 this year).

We also lived in Winnetka before moving to Mundelein. (Our home address was a Route number and box so I can't search by that - in Mundelein, that is).

We would stay in Chicago and enjoy the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 AM

92 posts, read 513,136 times
Yes, Countryside Golf Course is still there. My spouse plays there once in a while. I asked him about a house surrounded by the golf course and he didn't think there was any. But when I checked Live Search Maps, there is a house surrounded by trees within the golf course area.

Nearby Countryside Lake is built up with fancy houses, for the most part.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Smile Countryside Lake

If anyone could get me the address of that home, that would be great. What I remember it was a large home, built in 1917. English Tudor with a long driveway, circular drive. My parents owned it during the 1960's and possibly early 1970's.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Here is a link to an aerial photo of what may be the house you are looking for. It looks like you get to it off Hawley Street.

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

(At least, the link works for me...)

Old 08-05-2008, 03:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,082,726 times
Did you grow up in Mundelein? Did you go to either Lincoln or Washington Schools? I did....made some lasting friendships, went to Libertyville High School before Mundelein built their own high school. Lived on Prairie Avenue

Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Smile Growing up

I went to Fremont Elementary, I think it was called. I was in 5th grade when we moved to Florida. (I was so sad to leave friends). We went to Ivanhoe Congregational Church and the pastor and his family were good family friends - the Schrags. (I visited them in the 70's - they had moved to Schaumburg, I think).

I often wonder how different my life would have been if we had stayed there - my poor mother had no choice but to go where her husband wanted us to be. And, I love Florida, but I just wonder sometimes how it would have been.

I also left my wonderful dog, a black and white collie, with neighbors who had a farm. I know she was happy b/c she could run and play.

My mom is now 87 and has the beginnings of Alzheimers and with 4 active kids, she could never remember who, what, when and where and now, it's even harder for her to remember things.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Smile Mundelein/Countryside Lake, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTenor View Post
Here is a link to an aerial photo of what may be the house you are looking for. It looks like you get to it off Hawley Street.

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

(At least, the link works for me...)
It worked for me, too and I now have chills. That's the house, we had a driveway that weaved around and yes, that's it. Many happy, happy times there. We were told we were going to Florida for an extended vacation - and we stayed. I know it was so hard for my mom. She even had dinner plates with the house on them!! And the kitchen was to die for - huge!

How would I find the actual address?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM

On Google maps street view, it looks like there is a mailbox at the intersection of Hawley Street and Chevy Chase Street, which is where the entry drive for the house is located.

I might be in that area later today. If so, I'll try to see if there is a house number or something on the mailbox.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,970,007 times
you should go back and see how much it has changed. I use to live in sylvan lake and moved out 10 or 12 years ago. I took a trip up there to check it out and it has tottally changed. New houses everywhere, department stores where fields use to be...

Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM

Smile Address for home

Thanks so much - I do remember the mailbox was in that area. At that time, it was an RR # - but, funny, I still remember our phone number from when I was a little girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs