Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,901 times

Advertisements

Dear All,
I will be relocating from Philadelphia along with my wife to Chicago. As all the Big cities I am sure even Chicago has its good and bad neighbourhood. I will be working in the city at University of Illinois and my guess is that will be using Polk station on Pink line for my daily commute. I am looking for a 2BR apartment in the suburbs with easy commute to my work place.
I'll appreciate any help in this regard.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 12:46 PM

5,525 posts, read 14,034,320 times
1. Any kids?
2. How much are you willing to pay for rent?
3. How long a commute will you tolerate?
4. Where in Philly do you live? (And do you like it there?)

Old 05-19-2008, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,901 times
Thanks for you response.

1. No Kids as of now (planning pretty soon).
2. rent around $1000 - $1400
3. Currently we live in Wynnewood, an upscale suburb of Philly - We love it here.
4. The train station is 3 minutes walk from our apartment. It takes 20 minutes train journey to downtown Philly, and is around 7mi - 25 minutes drive as well.

We would love something similar in Chicago if possible.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:20 PM

I've spent a little bit of time in Bryn Mawr, so I'll assume Wynnewood is similar. I'd recommend some of the inner western suburbs to you: Oak Park, River Forest, Forest Park, and possibly Berwyn. These suburbs are all close to the western el lines (Blue and/or Pink) which will bring you to work at UIC.

OP and RF have historically attracted liberal professionals who want to live in an older, pedestrian-oriented town with good transit access to Chicago. Lots of quaint houses and fair number of vintage apartments within your price range. Relatively easy to get by without a car. OP/RF share a downtown area which has a Whole Foods, Starbucks x3, Trader Joes (opening soon), Border's Books, plus restaurants, knick-knack shops, etc. Regarding crime, its not super high, but probably higher than Main Line PA. The closer to the Chicago border (eastward) you go, the higher the crime rate is, so depending on your comfort level, you'll want to stay west.

Forest Park and Berwyn are historically more blue collar but are gentrifying as people get priced out of OP and RF.

If these areas are a bit too urban for you, and I think on the whole they are bit more urban than the Main Line, then you could go further out, but then you'd rely on the commuter rail or car for getting to work.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,736,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpinks View Post
Thanks for you response.

1. No Kids as of now (planning pretty soon).
2. rent around $1000 - $1400
3. Currently we live in Wynnewood, an upscale suburb of Philly - We love it here.
4. The train station is 3 minutes walk from our apartment. It takes 20 minutes train journey to downtown Philly, and is around 7mi - 25 minutes drive as well.

We would love something similar in Chicago if possible.
Its pretty far out from Chicago, but Id recommend Naperville. There are some great apartments right near the Metra tracks, called Railway Plaza. You dont have to pay for parking at the Metra station on Rt. 59 and North Aurora Rd, and you can walk to the station, its about 200 yards from the complex. Rent is a bit pricey, but within your budget, and Naperville rocks.

Railway Plaza Apartments Naperville, IL - Apartments for Rent in Naperville Illinois

Naperville Restaurants Bars Clubs Entertainment

Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its pretty far out from Chicago, but Id recommend Naperville. There are some great apartments right near the Metra tracks, called Railway Plaza. You dont have to pay for parking at the Metra station on Rt. 59 and North Aurora Rd, and you can walk to the station, its about 200 yards from the complex. Rent is a bit pricey, but within your budget, and Naperville rocks.

Railway Plaza Apartments Naperville, IL - Apartments for Rent in Naperville Illinois

Naperville Restaurants Bars Clubs Entertainment
Naperville is nice, but its at least 30 minutes by Metra to Union Station then probably 30 minutes more by bus or el to UIC.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,736,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Naperville is nice, but its at least 30 minutes by Metra to Union Station then probably 30 minutes more by bus or el to UIC.
Yeah, its far out, but for some people theyre willing to sacrifice a little to live in Naperville, its alot of fun for young families, etc. Twas just an idea...

Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,513 times
dear gnpinks,

could you please let me know the apartment rented in Wynwood?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 PM

101 posts, read 438,063 times
Naperville is not like Wynnewood at all. I used to live in Havertown. In fact, Philly as a whole is very different than Chicago. I would think Oak Park or Park Ridge would work.
Emmie

Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,730,438 times
Bring a years supply of cheese steaks, you won't find a real one here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs