Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 06:43 PM

18 posts, read 13,191 times

Advertisements

So here's my situation, hopefully you can help.

- I'm 30 years old, single, and have a work-from-home remote job. I will be making about $45k/year

- My mom is disabled, though she is able to work Uber part time.

- I will be paying the rent, she will help with most of the bills (food, internet, etc)

- I don't have a car, though my mom does

So this will be a temporary stay, my 'dream' is to ultimately buy a place as close to downtown as I can afford so I can pay down a mortgage instead of throw away money on rent. That being said, my goal is really to do things like:

- Explore the city. I obviously can't afford a place downtown (especially with my mom as my roommate), so I'm hoping I can find a community where I can walk to a train/subway station

- Safe. Outsiders hear a lot about the dangers of Chicago so I don't want to sacrifice safety, especially with my mother.

- This last one is not a need but a want, so not important, but a community with a higher arab community would be great for my mom.

In terms of my budget on rent, I'm hoping I can spend at least half my paycheck or less, that would be ideal, but I would be willing to sacrifice more depending on the community I can get.

Just want your suggestions and advice I'll do the homework of looking into the communities but would love if you can give some ideas that I can explore.

Thank you so, so much. Chicago seems equal parts big & scary and big & amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 11:03 AM

197 posts, read 302,082 times
starting in Edgewater north part of Chicago going south along lakefront down to monstrose - it’s more affordable, the closer to lake the better. As going with safety, it’s a city, a lot of people, but closer to downtown safer and more expensive. I used to live in edge water and I like it so much. Then I moved to lake view community by Sheridan/ Irving park and even more safer, generally I liked all the line, public transportation awesome. Therefore, you have to be aware if you drive a car a lot, you will think of renting a parking spot. There was a enough moment for me and I rent a parking spot, I paid $100 monthly.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:44 AM

155 posts, read 213,091 times
West rogers park, uptown or edgebrook would be places in the city. If you want subsurbs, you can look at Des Plaines

Old 12-19-2019, 07:58 AM

529 posts, read 647,705 times
Since this is in the Suburbs section, you can try looking for apartments in Skokie, Cicero, Berwyn. They all have CTA/Metra access. You can try Evanston and Oak Park, but you'll be paying more.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:17 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Yeah, if we're talking suburbs, I'd suggest inner ring towns with a lot of apartments/rentals available. Skokie and Niles to the north, Forest Park and Brookfield to the west/southwest. Maybe Berwyn, though I know nothing about the area, and it gets kind of a bad rep for crime.

The rest are safe and affordable options with easy access in and out of the city. Look as close to a commuter as possible, and bonus if the commuter has an express.

If you want to be in the city now, as opposed to the future, I'd suggest areas like Jefferson Park, Irving Park, and Logan Square to the north.

Despite what folks on here seem to think, you absolutely can find a 2BR in a more happenin locale in the city for <$1.2k.. For that, again, Logan Square would be the premiere destination.

Not sure about proximity to the train, but something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...82597527_zpid/

You can also dig through some near west areas of the city. Pilsen and West Town might have something.. Increasingly nice, and safe, and better situated than any on the list.

The reality is that you'll get in and out of the loop faster from the burbs than the northern reaches of the city. The furthest I'd go, if I am living downtown proper, is Logan Square to the north, or West Town/Pilsen. At least then you will be able to take advantage of true city perks- lively restaurants and bars most notably. Areas like Jefferson/Edison are full of folks who work in public service, and their families. No more going on there than there is in the suburbs, and a slower train ride downtown.

Last edited by mwj119; 12-19-2019 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 12:33 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
My sister lives in Elk Grove. It’s nice and safe.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Not sure about proximity to the train, but something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...82597527_zpid/
That's about 20 minutes south of the Irving Park Station and 37 minutes west of the Diversey station by bus.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:22 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That's about 20 minutes south of the Irving Park Station and 37 minutes west of the Diversey station by bus.
Heh? Just looked, the L stop on Fullerton is a few blocks south... Why would you need to go to Irving Park or anywhere on Diversey?

You are within easy walking distance to everything on N Milwaukee, and W Fullerton, and the L. It's almost the perfect location.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Heh? Just looked, the L stop on Fullerton is a few blocks south... Why would you need to go to Irving Park or anywhere on Diversey? That 3819 is pretty far west on Diversey.

You are within easy walking distance to everything on N Milwaukee, and W Fullerton, and the L. It's almost the perfect location.
The address is 3819 W. Diversey

I think you are mistaken. The Fullerton station is further away than that

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Full...41.9316188!3e2

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Full...41.9316188!3e3

Old 12-21-2019, 01:38 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
Toronto519: You wrote that you're seeking an area with an Arab population.

The largest concentration of Middle Eastern people in Chicagoland is in the southwest suburbs. This is especially true in Oak Lawn, Hickory Hills, Burbank, and Bridgeview. Bridgeview has the most established community of Middle Eastern residents of all these suburbs.

As far as commuting to the Loop from the southwest suburbs, you can use the Orange Line on the L. You would need to take a Pace Bus (suburban bus line) to the Orange Line terminus at Midway Airport. Or, you can also travel to the Loop using Metra (commuter railroad) from these suburbs. The SWS Line on Metra has stations in communities in this area.

Welcome to Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs