Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:35 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,645,771 times

Advertisements

I don't know about the rest of you, but there has to be some price gauging going on around here. I left home this morning to run errands..gas is $3.59 at the cheaper of the two gas stations in sugar grove. I come back a couple hours later and gas is now $3.61. I actually thought that the stock market was closed on the weekend, so that the barrel price could not increase at least until Monday! what a racket. I think McCain has the right idea about eliminating the extra taxes for the summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 01:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
Well, yesterday I saw 3.98 for regular in the city and it was not even downtown.:-0

Old 04-19-2008, 01:43 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but there has to be some price gauging going on around here. I left home this morning to run errands..gas is $3.59 at the cheaper of the two gas stations in sugar grove. I come back a couple hours later and gas is now $3.61. I actually thought that the stock market was closed on the weekend, so that the barrel price could not increase at least until Monday! what a racket. I think McCain has the right idea about eliminating the extra taxes for the summer months.
The price of oil does not trade on the stock market.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:08 PM

242 posts, read 758,821 times
honestly, i don't think this is a problem only in the chicago suburbs. im from suburban long island, ny and it's just as expensive. it's horrible, i know...

Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 PM

179 posts, read 496,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
The price of oil does not trade on the stock market.
And for that matter, gas prices and oil prices are correlated, but not perfectly...

Old 04-20-2008, 09:44 PM

281 posts, read 928,242 times
$3.59 is the going rate here in Waukegan, and we tend to be 10-30¢ cheaper than the city. I was in Wisconsin over the weekend and it's the same there. Wisconsin used to be more expensive, but not any more. Be thankful you don't have a diesel car. $4.29!

I like the idea of belaying the gas taxes during the summer, but road maintenance will suffer from the lack of funds.

A better idea is to scotch the special summer formula, which always adds at least 20¢, regardless of market conditions. It's a total scam, if you ask me.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
What exactly is price gouging anyway?

I learned in economics class in high school that if demand increased and supply remained the same or decreased (as is the case right now), prices went up. If we don't like high gas prices, we should decrease our demand or increase the supply. Since our ability to increase the supply is quite marginal (US oil production has been decreasing for many years now), its far better to decrease our demand through more fuel efficiency and better transit policies.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
I have read that the "boutique" fuels, as mandated for various regions around the country. adds a lot to the price. And the "winter fuels" significantly cuts our fuel economy I have noticed.
Here over the weekend - $3.60-$3.65 and diesel is ridiculous now.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,002 times
I wish that these motha F-ers would get reported for price gouging. In Orland/Tinley Park there are two stations that are noutorious for gouging. Thorntons and Citgo at 76th Ave and 159th Street. The Thorntons is usually the cheapest in town and when they raise their prices, the little arab that runs the Citgo across 159th Street will run out and raise his prices.

On Friday Citgo got NO truck delievery that I saw, yet Thorntons did. Thorntons while getting it's fuel delivery raised its price from $3.54 to $3.75 a gal. When they changed their sign, moments later the head arab came out of the Citgo station with his pole and started changing his sign from $3.55 to $3.76! I was there filling up when he was doing this. I was so mad because no truck ever pulled in and that is the only time they are supposed to be raising the prices is when they (the station) are buying fuel.

In this case Thorntons raised it's prices, so then a HUGE line formed all the way down 159th Street for about a block of which is why I was there so long to witness the whole fiasco, and because of this demand being placed on the Citgo with all the panicy people filling up at the last minute, Citgo then had decided they would raise their prices to take advantage of the situation.

Talk about a racket!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,774,694 times
Last week I was in the Dells area and was griping at $3.43 and came home to 3.67 a few days later.

We usually fill up in Beloit, as they usually have the best prices.

Sooo glad I got rid of my Expedition a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs